Christians, would you be able to be friends with an Atheist?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. zeke2100 profile image61
    zeke2100posted 10 years ago

Christians, would you be able to be friends with an Atheist?

2. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 10 years ago

I have a few atheist friends. There is nothing wrong with it. We respect each others beliefs (or lack thereof) because our beliefs are only part of who we are. they aren't the whole of our existence. We are also able to have discussions and debates that leave us both with more understanding of each other

3. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I really want to see the literalists' answer on this. We know Christ commanded to Love you enemies. So for sure we are commanded to love everyone without exception.

But there are verses that also say: knock the dirt off your sandals and seperate yourself from unbelievers.

It would be a conundrum if not for the first rule being a commandment from Christ and the others are simply telling you what to do in certain circumstances and were written or spoken to specific audiences. So if you follow the second in disobedience to the commandment clearly stated you would be wrong.

So the answer is not if you would be able, but that you must.

1. Claire Evans profile image64
      Claire Evansposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A Christian doesn't have to be friends with an atheist because of the Bible.  They must be if they like the person.  Jesus mingled with Gentiles.

2. zeke2100 profile image61
      zeke2100posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe the Lord can call Christians to be a friend and a servant to those who do not believe in God. That does not mean that you necessarily have a deep trust or connection with them, but you are concerned about their well-being.

3. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Zeke, I just wanted to thank you for this question being asked. I have learned much that I can improve on. I will pose this question to my youth in bible study this week.

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 10 years ago

Well I'm friends with many Christians, and Muslims, and Jews, they seem to have no problems being friends with me.  I like the person , not the colour or creed.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I have friends from all walks of life. I love them all the same.

1. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You cannot love all the same because love takes on many forms. I don't think you have romantic love for all your friends, or that your love for Chad Kroeger of Nickelback is divine love.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is called friend love planks. Chill out.

3. zeke2100 profile image61

That is great that you have diverse friends with different beliefs and try to love them in the same manner without prejudice.
      You didn't say that you have a deeper friendship with some than others. Do you trust some more than others?

4. profile image0

Hello Zeke... Yes. There are those whom I trust more than others. For instance, I have a friend I've known from childhood who is like a brother. But, I do show them all the same respect.

6. Claire Evans profile image64
    Claire Evansposted 10 years ago

Jesus meant do not exact revenge on your enemies not love them.  It was translated from Greek so it is a translation issue. 

If a non believer doesn't want to hear about Christ, etc, then don't force them.  Just move on and that is what is meant by shaking the dust off one's feet.

A Christian who loves Jesus does set a barrier between themselves and atheists.  I have a couple of atheist friends on Facebook but I can only speak about trivial things to them because we know about the elephant in the room.  How can you deeply confide in an atheist when they don't believe in the very thing your life revolves around?

1. zeke2100 profile image61

It would be hard to have a deep, trusting relationship with one that does not share the same spiritual connection to God. The elephant in the room would be hard to overcome.

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I reckon some folks will work real hard to find reasons not to love. This concept is new to me "Jesus meant". And was Christ a Christian? Not exacting revenge, is forgiving, which is part of love. Is a small child an atheist. Fellowship restricted?

3. MsDrayton profile image55
      MsDraytonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@t zeek2100, I agree

7. zeke2100 profile image61
    zeke2100posted 10 years ago

Does anyone here know what the word Koinonia means?

1. profile image0

Yes, of course. In a sense fellowship.

2. zeke2100 profile image61

Koinonia is the Greek word for communion, meaning "that which we have in common." So spiritually, Christians and Atheists cannot fellowship on a spiritual level.
      You can love & care about people that aren't Christians. Fellowship is different.

8. MsDrayton profile image55
    MsDraytonposted 10 years ago

I wouldn't because we would always argue over our beliefs. I would still speak to the atheist and treat the atheist nice but the friendship thing I would have to draw the line.

9. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

I have been friends with an athiest, but it is on a completely different level than  a friendship with a Christian.    And it usually does not last a real long time, they usually get born again or just move on over time.    Light and darkness have no real fellowship.

10. fatfist profile image63
    fatfistposted 10 years ago

I can never be friends with an Atheist. They are the dumbest of the evolved apes on this planet. Theists are always smarter and win all arguments against the Religion of Atheism!

"A serious case could be made for a deistic God." – Richard Dawkins

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Who are you? and what have you done with fatfist?

11. profile image0
    cjcs138posted 10 years ago

I know there are christians that seem to only stick together like a gang. I find this very unfortunate because it is not what God called us to do. I am friends actually with atheists, mormons, jews and agnostics. I have also debated God with them in a friendly manner. Since youre asking the question, I'm assuming you dont have any christian friends.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)