Christians, would you stop being friends with someone if you found out they were

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

Christians, would you stop being friends with someone if you found out they were atheist?

Even if they were still the good person you knew them as?

2. kuttingxedge profile image72
    kuttingxedgeposted 12 years ago

Honestly, that would be the least Christian thing a person could do.

3. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 12 years ago

I don't  have any problems being friends with, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Siks, Hindus, and old uncle Tom Cobbleies an all, so if I were a Christian I would have no trouble with other faiths, or lack of, we're all human beings making our way as best we can.

4. KeithJK profile image60
    KeithJKposted 12 years ago

As a Christian but more importantly a human, I have been friends with many atheists. They are no better or no less than believers, and if you are a true Evangelical Christian, you can show him or her first hand the power of a believing in a higher power.

5. profile image0
    Phelckyposted 12 years ago

I would never ever end a friendship because of religion.

6. Civil War Bob profile image59
    Civil War Bobposted 12 years ago

Nope.  The sad thing is that a few atheist friends have asked me to walk away, so I've had to honor their request.  Doesn't stop my Acts 26:18 praying, though! wink

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Not at all!  I am a Christian and if they were interested in my faith, I would share it.  But they are entitled to their beliefs and I hope they would give me the same courtesy.

8. tigerbaby777 profile image81
    tigerbaby777posted 12 years ago

Jesus said "Love your neighbor as yourself."  He didn't say only if they are Christian or if they pray as we do. I think our neighbors include all people we come in contact with.

As long as they didn't say disgusting things about my faith in God of course.

9. wilmiers77 profile image61
    wilmiers77posted 12 years ago

By no way would I stop loving that person; out of the question.

10. Joseph041167 profile image59
    Joseph041167posted 12 years ago

thank you for asking this question. this is a huge mountainous issue in my personal life lately. I am the Atheist. I have lost many friends, relatives, and long term friends. I am socially isolated.

11. ananceleste profile image59
    anancelesteposted 12 years ago

Never! Even if my own "faith" would ask me too. Most of my best friends have been hard core atheists. I cant do that. My love for them is too great.

12. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

No! We are suppose to love all our brothers in sisters as Jesus Christ did. If you do not love or care for another person because they do not believe in God, what does that say about Christians?

13. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

That would only serve the interests of the terrorists who aim to spread discord between communities. Friends have no specific religion, ethnic origin, nationality and geographic location.

14. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

Thanks for all the answers. I asked this because I live my day to day life as a closet atheist and I am 100% sure that many I know would no longer be part of my life if they knew. They however are inlaws not just friends.

15. Anne Burlinson profile image68
    Anne Burlinsonposted 12 years ago

Interesting question... Just out of curiosity, what made you think of such question? I find the definition 'Christian' and 'atheist' when solely focuses on God or religion is rather limiting. Any Christian, who admits as a follower of Jesus, can still commit even the most sinful sin, like proclaiming oneself to be God and initiated mass suicide. An atheist, on the other hand, who truly believe there is no God, can be doing meaningful work like a saint. Given such combination then, can we truly limit our friendship by the 'tag' we carry?

16. kevins blog52 profile image76
    kevins blog52posted 12 years ago

No , God is love and He wants us to love everyone, I believe we each have an equal importunity to believe,We never know when we might say or do something that will lead a person to Christ. I know when I became a Christen I started out praying, I asked God are you real,I felt a a feeling like the most deepest love, I cant find the words that can  explain the feeling I had, I don't think they are any, but  any Christen that reads this will know the feeling I'm talking about. when Jesus was done with me I have never had any doubt sense and that was 42 years ago.He is my best friend and has pulled me out of a lot of tuff situations over the years, never once has he let me down and I know He never will.I hope your friend will find Jesus and experience the free gift  of eternal life that Jesus has to give to them.I wrote a true story/blog about life after death, I was there I know God is real. http://kevinsblog52.hubpages.com/hub/Life-after-deth

17. ercramer36 profile image91
    ercramer36posted 12 years ago

Absolutely not. I would continue to be friends with them.  I would try to demonstrate my faith through my actions but it is silly to not be friends with them.  I would treat them as any other friend.

18. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 12 years ago

No.  A true Christian would only want to become more of a friend to you. 

In-laws are a sticky situation.  For all their quirks, they are generally important to your family.  Treat them with respect no matter what they say or do--never respond in a provoking or unkind manner to them.  There's an old saying about how we may be sorry about many things, but we are never sorry if we are kind.  If they behave in an unChristian manner, rise above it and love them anyway out of love for your husband and goodness to your children for you want them to be able to navigate a world that is filled with all kinds of people.  Extended family provides many opportunities for life lessons.  smile

19. seoknow profile image61
    seoknowposted 12 years ago

Of course not. I hangout with them because I love their personality that doesn't change because my knowledge of them change. Especially if they are not trying to push their views on me. A are you really going to stop being friends with everyone that doesn't agree with you.

20. profile image0
    Catzgendronposted 12 years ago

Our God is an awesome God and loves everyone one of us, no matter who we are, no matter what we've done. We disappointment yet, his love never waivers. read more

21. Catherine Kane profile image82
    Catherine Kaneposted 12 years ago

As a Christian, I love my friends, regardless of their faith. It's following Jesus' example.

Would I stop being friends w/ someone because I found out they were an atheist? I haven't so far, and probably wouldn't.

For me, this question is a bit tricker than it first appeared. I have a number of friends that are atheists, and that has not had any significantly had any effect on the quality of our friendship.

I do, however, have a couple of friends who belong to what seems to be a subset of atheism. From experience, there seems to be a small group of atheists who aren't content to just believe what they believe, but also find it appropriate / necessary  to sneer at people who don't believe the same thing that they do.

Loudly.

Agressively.

These folks are my friends, but when they're rude to my faith, it feels disrespectful to me. I've talked to them about this, so its not like they don't know.

Some of them backed off. Some didn't.

And, if an atheist "friend" continued to be deliberately rude to my faith, when he knows that its hurtful, that could eventually end that friendship.

The atheism would be a contributing factor, but not the cause. The cause would be disrespect...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)