Is Paula Deen's firing from Food Network too severe?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. my_girl_sara profile image76
    my_girl_saraposted 10 years ago

Is Paula Deen's firing from Food Network too severe?

As a nation, we've been asked to forgive lots of things: Bill Clinton's inappropriate behavior in the Oval Office, Anthony Weiner's and Mark Sanders' infidelity, Reece Witherspoon's disorderly conduct, Chris Brown's abusive behavior, and of course, Michael Vick's dog fighting.
    Being a racist is bad but should be covered under our !st Amendment rights, shouldn't it? Why is this such an unforgivable sin?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8130455_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I think our country has gone nuts with everyone trying to be politically correct.  Racism is a horrible thing but frankly in this case I think people have overreacted. I am no Paula Deen fan but I think this has just gone too far.

Is there any one of us who has lived to adulthood that hasn't said or done something totally inappropriate that we thoroughly regret? No, I am not condoning racism but I think everyone has gone off the map with this PC stuff.

1. vmartinezwilson profile image79
      vmartinezwilsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/22/paula-dee … ullwrapper

If you haven't seen this.  It's all so odd.  I would also check out the deposition.  It's not about being PC.  It's deeper than that.

2. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

At first I also gave her the benefit of the doubt and I'm all for calling it like you see it but this is clearly racist and occurred last year, not decades ago. huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-racism_n_3480720.html

3. vmartinezwilson profile image79
    vmartinezwilsonposted 10 years ago

Her behavior such as saying racial insensitive things, accepting her brother's sexually abusive behavior in the workplace and sexually illicit behavior at corporate sponsored events can indeed be forgiven by America as a whole. 

Your initial question about her firing, on the other hand?  No.  Her firing isn't too severe.  To make a long story short.  Her language in the deposition (and if you get a change to read it, it is hilarious in the same way as watching a stupid person repeatedly stepping on a rake and getting bashed in the head) is too over the top.  She had an opportunity to talk to Matt Lauer and smooth things over, but she didn't.  The Food Network is all about brands and her brand is poison right now.  It doesn't mean that it will stay that way forever, look at Robert Irvine who lied about his resume, but for now she's a goner.  Money talks and if the Food Network can show all of their advertisers they are not tolerant of this sort of behavior, they will keep all of their advertisers.  That is the point in the end.  Money.

If they can find someone to fill her niche like one of her sons (she has two that the Food Network still employ) all is well.  That's also probably why she thanked the network instead of bashing them for firing her. 

What she needs is a good PR person.  And to use half her brain.

1. DebMichaels profile image57
      DebMichaelsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great article. Her interview with Matt Lauer didn't help her. I think she needs to give it some time and a 'good' PR person. I is what I is didn't cut it for me. I am what I am and let it be that.

4. junkseller profile image77
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

The word she used alone is enough for her to be fired. America may forgive her for that, but the Food Network really had no choice. However, that is the least of her concerns. The allegations against her brother (and other management) portrays an environment of nearly constant racism, sexism, abuse, and sexual harassment, all of which Paula Deen and her corporate management were allegedly aware of. We will have to wait and see if Ms. Jackson can substantiate her claims, but if she can, Deen and company are unforgivable.

And as for the word, it is useful to put it into context. The full alleged quote by Deen was this:

"Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around… Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn't it? But we can't do that because the media would be on me about that."

There are also accusations of a General manager calling the kitchen staff "monkeys" as well as alleged policies that African American staff could not work in the front, had to use the rear entrance to enter the restaurant, and couldn't use restrooms that were available to white staff.

And that's without getting into the alleged sexual harassment which, if accurate, are also deplorable.

5. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 10 years ago

I don't think so. Had she worked in an office as a supervisor and a similar incident occurred- she would've been out the same day as it happened.
    Racism to me is not so much as a sin as it is a sickness. But there are ways to actively and consciously do better. But to allow yourself to participate in a behavior that actively perpetuates what so many have rallied against is unforgivable.

6. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

Charlton Heston said it best. He said," Political correctness is nothing more than a violation of your right of free speech." But since correctness exists, why not for everyone? She said the N word and got fired for it. Yet I just stood behind 2 black guys at the gas station and they loudly called each other n-----s no less than 10 times before leaving the check out. In public, especially, this shouldn't be acceptable from anyone. If I would have said it, I'd have been thrown out. How appropriate would it be for me to call my friend white trash in a public setting? It wouldn't be tolerated. Nor should it be.
         Using that word does not automatically make a person a racist. Sure, it's very bad taste, but doesn't mean that person hates a complete race.
         This is another case of people being over-sensitive or just looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
         If it weren't for media hype and a few over zealous lawyers, do you really think the Food Channel would have fired someone that popular for that reason? I doubt it.

7. Abby Campbell profile image72
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I saw Paula apologize and ask for forgiveness on national news. I think that was commendable. However, I would have fired her for other reasons... like promoting awful recipes that will give a person a heart attack, such as the "Heart Attack Sandwich" where bread was replaced by glazed donuts and a burger, fried egg, and bacon were squished in-between. Disgusting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIp_pasW6o

1. my_girl_sara profile image76
      my_girl_saraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have you not seen the new Wendy's pretzel burger? I hear it has 680 calories!

2. Insane Mundane profile image59
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dang, I never tried fried eggs on my burger; thanks for the cooking tips!

3. Abby Campbell profile image72
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

my_girl_sara, I have not seen the new Wendy's pretzel burger. I'm sure it's a take off from Paula's donut burger. It's sick what these celebrity chefs and restaurants promote. They obviously don't care to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Only $ matter.

4. Levertis Steele profile image76
      Levertis Steeleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, an apology should count for something, although it was probably prompted.

8. Flashe13 profile image59
    Flashe13posted 10 years ago

This is truly a great question but has many layers as with most ignorant heated discussions there exist a small for m of hypocrisy. I personaly think Paula Dean spoke the truth and should've been fired for being stupid  and southern lol!  All jokes aside I think the word itself is historical and filled with pain. Many caucasians don't understand why blacks use the 'N" word amongst each other and towards each other. It has power and some african americans choose to use it so that they can make other races feel shameful or guilty if they use the word. Its brilliant if you think about it because in this great day of "PC" you saw what the power of a word used to denigrate a race has done to punish those people who arent of that race if they use the "n"word.  I have many friends that have married white women and would get upset if their spouse would sing along in a rap song and use the "n- word" in the song like 50 cent. Laughable and hypocritical lol! For all you fans out there that are feeling sorry for Ms.Dean: shed not a tear because I know she isn't . she's richer than she ever thought she would be and I'm sure this wont be the last time she uses the "n" word when referring to african americans.

PS I love the way she cooks lol!

1. Abby Campbell profile image72

So true, Flashe13. I would never use that term, prejudice or not. I find the south strange with it being stuck in the days of old as I come from the DC metro area where we don't even think of "color." When I moved to NC, racism was so foreign to me.

9. my_girl_sara profile image76
    my_girl_saraposted 10 years ago

My husband read through Deen's deposition last night and found out her brother is the real jerk with the foul mouth. Maybe she's guilty of being a doormat and less of a racist?

10. profile image52
    wheatbaybayposted 10 years ago

I dont think that firing Paula was to severe. In my opinion, Paula may not have be an racist per say, but because of what happen to her in past has made her prejudice against blacks. She claims to had been held at gunpoint by a black man several years ago and I think that made her not like black people.I have come to realize that White people who say their not prejudice or the main ones that are. We have to realize as a black people that prejudice still exists. We have come a long way, but we still have a long way to long.

1. Abby Campbell profile image72

That seems so silly to be prejudice because crime was committed by another ethnicity. If she was held at gunpoint by white men, would she then hate her own race? I guess people are strange that way though. hmm

2. Levertis Steele profile image76

True, but we also must realize that racism and prejudices are not of a certain race. They are found in all races.

3. profile image52
      wheatbaybayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Prejudice against blacks has existed for years and no I don't think she would be prejudice against her own race if she had of been held at gun point by white guys.

11. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

It's irrelevant what anybody thinks. The problem is with the media personality. The Food Network has a responsiblity to sell products and appeal to the masses. They have fans and supporters from all cultures from around the world. No group of people would expect a celebrity chef to target them with hate speech. Celebrities can think whatever they want, believe whatever they want, but they can't expect corporations to support their prejudices. It's not good for business, not even hers, as she has learned.

12. anachronism profile image61
    anachronismposted 10 years ago

Trust me, being a racist is covered under the First Amendment because we all have the freedom of speech. But it's the American people that are outraged, and rightfully so. Yes cheating on your wife and dog fighting are bad but those offenses are not as severe and serious as racism. We never had a civil war due to disputes over dog fighting or adultery. Black people were never beaten, raped, maimed, lynched, or tarred due to adultery or dog fighting. So find something more comparable. Racism is such an unforgivable sin because it has crippled our nation for decades. If even the slightest bit of racism is overlooked, then it is allowed to prosper.

1. Levertis Steele profile image76

Freedom of speech was not intended to be severe. A line has to be drawn somewhere. Can a man walk up to a little girl and say sexual things to her without being arrested for being a child predator, sexual pervert, and other names? No.

13. Levertis Steele profile image76
    Levertis Steeleposted 10 years ago

Firing people in placements like Paula Dean is not always about punishment. It is often about money. If a shoes line hired a celebrity to promote high-heeled shoes, would the company keep that person on board if she insulted women? Who would want negative publicity associated with their product and money?

Paula Dean's firing was severe, but she knew the position she was in and she should have know where to draw the line. On the other hand, everyone does something silly occasionally. As someone said, "What is inside of you will come out." She is who she is. Personally, I would not have fired her unless I felt that I would lose big because of what she said. "Every tub needs to sit on its own bottom," including one named Paula.

If people are willing to play the part of an Old South N-----, then, they must be willing to go whole hog and not feel insulted because that is how blacks were addressed during that time. Those "masters" and "mistresses" were not all decent Christians who knew how to treat all of God's people, and Blacks knew that. Jamie played a N----- in DJANGO--Oh, I forgot, he was paid well enough to take it, although he seemed to have had a problem getting into character. Pay me righteously, and I'll be your N-----, too! I know what and who I am. If you want to fantasize and want me to join you for a good salary, call me! "All you got to do is pick up your telephone and dial just 634-5789! That's my number . . . ."

As James Earl Jones said as he played Alex Haley in ROOTS when he was asked why he took the insult of the N-word, "It was the first time I've been called a N----- and got paid for it." Ok!

Seriously, Paula's negative publicity was the problem, I believe. So, her firing was probably a matter of the "Benjamins!"

14. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 10 years ago

my-girl-sara,
    Paula should not have used that word no matter what she was talking about. I don't think even in context it was right. No one in this day and age should talk like that. It's insulting, and immature.
    Lisa

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)