Do you believe deep down everyone are racist?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. AmrilRadzman profile image67
    AmrilRadzmanposted 13 years ago

Do you believe deep down everyone are racist?

To some extend, do you believe people deep down are racist? Don't get me wrong, im not saying you're but some circumstances maybe involved?

2. DonDWest profile image71
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

*Takes a deep breath*, I'll brave this question, and probably regret it later:

I think deep down inside everyone has some degree of racism. For example, I've been called a "dirty Pole" a few times just because I look Polish, even though I'm not Polish.

It's considered politically incorrect to talk about this subject, but I believe it's simply a case of people having their preferences and biases that they can't always keep amongst themselves. People have their trends, their favorite foods, their favorite music, and a lot of it is never based on logic. I'm afraid race is much the same. People are probably attracted more to other races/cultures than others. Its human nature, and I think where we go wrong is trying to get rid of it entirely.

I say tolerate and co-exist should be the motto, but you can't force somebody to befriend or love someone when the attraction doesn't exist, even if illogical. Part of getting along as a group of people is in knowing when to get closer, and when to give people their space and step away. People rejecting you because you “look funny” is a part of life I’m afraid. It’s not fair, but it’s there.

3. mcrawford76 profile image89
    mcrawford76posted 13 years ago

I believe that everyone is prejudice. But that does not equal racism. Unfortunately everyone has pre-determined ideas of what a certain type of race is, or how they are supposed to act. Not everyone falls into that mold, but that doesn't change the fact that it is there.
    Racism is when you take that pre-judged idea and turn it into a belief structure, or decided to dislike an entire race of people based entirely on that pre-judged idea.

I like to say that people are just people. An a-hole is still and a-hole no matter what color the skin. Then the only way to break down prejudice is to get to know someone as a person. My color does not define me, why should I believe that it defines everyone else. Although I will say that I answered in another question that it bothers me that so many people actually strive to fit into that little mold that the world has created for them in prejudice.

4. Modibas profile image60
    Modibasposted 13 years ago

Well in my eyes it depends on what you consider to be racism. If it's all about how people treat those of other races, then no not everyone (at least i know few those who are not racists). But if you consider it to be on how we exclude people of other race when they are in the crowd, well then yes we are all racists. It is called categorization and it is natural process on how we understand environment, for example when you see a bush with red berries on it, you exclude those berries from environment. Same goes for ... lets say few Asians in a room filled with Europeans. You see two different kinds of people. To wrap it up I'd like to remind you that even though we exclude people who are unusual for our eye naturally, it is up to us how we treat them.

5. larry1987 profile image55
    larry1987posted 13 years ago

yes, i believe so. I am  Chinese, while when I see a black man, I feel uncomfortable, I also wonder why their skins are black?

6. profile image54
    taffin1posted 13 years ago

I think in this day and age it's hard to really be a racist,so many of the worlds cultures have mixed together its no longer about race but about ideals and principles,we have a tendency to lump groups of people together according to their actions,profiling and stereotyping,examples of this are things like common white trash,gang bangers,hiphoppers etc,its true that certain ethnic groups have a long history of social misconduct, issues of hatred and anger blamed on past historical events,and no I'm not just talking about blacks in america, there are many around the world that finally find their way to america land of the free.
    As a group we should learn to base our opinions  on fact not someones feelings of being put out.

7. Somesh Dutt profile image59
    Somesh Duttposted 13 years ago

To answer you frankly, yes deep down majority of the people would be racist. Racist actually is a feeling of a greater degree of abhorness that one may have. It may arise due to many reasons, primary being fear. I am of the opinion that fear is the rootcause and it fosters the feeling till it is deeprooted and then starts affecting your mind and eventually your behaviour.

8. zob2zob profile image71
    zob2zobposted 13 years ago

I think that the anwser to your question is deeper than the surface, & is taught by elders within a family unit, and handed down, through the impressionalble ages and play a big influence unknowingly in our lives, until you find that not everthing you are told from your loving family members is a/ true, b/ accurate or c/ questionable & then it goes two ways you either rebel against those opinions or you flow along with them.
    I rebelled.

9. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

This is my view on it. Take it with a grain of salt.

I think all human beings are born with a natural aversion to people with any kind of difference. It goes back to our evolutionary ancestors, the apes. (Relax Creationists, this isn't what the debate is about)

As animals we had to be wary of outsiders. Only people in our immediate "tribe" could be trusted and any outsiders were a potential threat.

We've carried that trait into our current incarnations and it's entirely likely that prejudism, racism's older brother, will never quite leave our bloodstreams.

One advantage we have over our ancestors, however, is the ability to think for ourselves. We have the power to decide whether we are going to let our prejudices guide how we act or not.

10. profile image55
    tom-lawsposted 13 years ago

Wherever there is narrow mindness there is racism and narrow minded people are lot around.

11. NathanielZhu profile image65
    NathanielZhuposted 13 years ago

We are bound our genetics to be a racist not even to different races, but even on the level of individuals.

12. WannaB Writer profile image88
    WannaB Writerposted 13 years ago

There's a lot of talk about racism these days. What exactly is racism? What can be done about it? Is it possible you are a racist? read more

13. profile image0
    Dandraposted 13 years ago

All stupid people, yes.                                                                           .

14. Melanie Trausch profile image60
    Melanie Trauschposted 13 years ago

I do not believe that everyone deep down is racist.  If you are a racist then you think that your race is superior to others and you will treat people of different races with disrespect, hate, or even violence. Only people who live their life in fear, ignorance, and narrow-mindedness will choose to perceive themselves and others in this way.

However, I do believe that we all pre-judge and discriminate.  We may associate people based on their race, sex, age, and so on until we get to know them personally.  It is only when people get to know one another, bond, and become friends that those generic associations dissipate and we see the uniqueness and individuality in each other – this is when race, sex, age, and so on isn’t even a factor because the relationship bond prevails.

15. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

No.
    But I believe EVERYONE has stereotypes or prejudices.... and I'm not saying its right..... it just is.
    Anyone who says the contrary is kidding themselves.

16. profile image54
    peter565posted 9 years ago

I believe deep down, everybody like to feel pride and some people might use race to sustain this pride by e.g. believing "we are the superior race". when they do so, it would result in racism, because believing in this lie, make their pride feel good, therefore difficult to abandon. This is happening in modern western society. When we think about the west, we think about e.g. US, UK, France and other advance country, but few think of poverty state such as Brazil, Argentina, Ukraine, despite these poverty states are also part of the western world. Why do we ignore these poor state? Because it undermine our believe of, the mighty western world, which make our pride feel good.  Too often, these country are been pretend of none existence by wealthy western country, whom rather focus on poverty and human right issue amount none western states, then to look at such issue amount western state. E.g. military dictator in Argentina is even worse the Chinese Communist Party. But we never hear about it, because too many people don't want to know about human right issue, amount western countries, because it undermine the believe of the great western world.

17. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Is there a natural bias to be with your tribe? Yes.
    Is that tribe always defined by race? No, it may be politics or religion.
    Does this preference make people immoral? No.

What has become immoral is the blanket demonization of whites in the West for sins of their ancestors while ignoring and covering up the crimes and actions of members of specific groups (Muslim refugee rape epidemic, high black murder rate in the US several times higher than that of whites killing whites) because those facts are considered "hate facts" and pointing out the wrong-doing is seen as immoral. For example, police didn't go after a Rotherham England Pakistani Muslim rape gang for years that raped over a thousand under-aged white girls - because police thought it worse to be called racist than stop child rapists.

This is excused under multi-culturalism (that you can't condemn a culture that is immoral), which is an of itself racist, by assuming those people aren't capable of abiding by standards of behavior per human rights.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)