Why is marijuana illegal in some states when more people die from prescriptions?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. andrew savage profile image57
    andrew savageposted 10 years ago

Why is marijuana illegal in some states when more people die from prescriptions?

2. opticstoreonline profile image63
    opticstoreonlineposted 10 years ago

Marijuana cannot be controlled by gov to get revenue and prescription can be that could be one of the reason.

1. ThompsonPen profile image65
      ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Washington is in the process of proving that otherwise. It's getting pretty interesting in this ol' Evergreen State

2. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's hope they can win it.  A few years ago, the state of Maine made pot  legal, & the fed gov told them that if they did not continue 2 arrest & prosecute people who possess & use it they would send fed agents to Maine @ make sure they

3. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even if marijuana is legalized, it is going to be regulated. I would suspect the legal stuff will be cultivated in a manner to make it a little less potent, thus the illegal market will still continue.

4. d.william profile image74

such cynicism.  I would guess the first step to legalizing it would B 2 allow individuals 2 grow 1-2 plants 4 personal use.  This would alleviate some of the drug trafficking but that won't happen. there is too much money being made off it now.

3. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Pot is not 'legal' in any state for personal use. It is only legal for medical purposes, and only with a written prescription by a doctor. Prescription drugs work differently in the body and they can kill if mixed with other things like alcohol, or other pharmaceutical drugs.  when they intermix, or combine with each other, they either make the effects of the individual drugs more potent or change the composition in the body to another toxic element. 
    The THC in pot is a hallucinogenic substance and i have never heard of it being toxic, even in combination with other drugs, except to make the hallucinations more vivid and scarier.

1. ThompsonPen profile image65

That is not true. It's legal in Washington State and Colorado.
      But I agree with what you're saying otherwise smile

2. d.william profile image74

It cannot be legal in any state when it is illegal by federal gov decree. State may lessen or ignore the penalties but they cannot legalize pot, anymore that states can totally ban abortions.

3. ThompsonPen profile image65

it depends. I see what you're saying that yes, the federal government can certainly come in and stop it, but they're in a tricky place. It's a State Right to have marijuana be legalized. If they shut it down, they'll be opening quite the can of worms

4. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 10 years ago

That is just the question! I was just talking to my friend about this yesterday. He was going on about how he's on anti depressants, and how his blood pressure has been going up due to stress, and how he's got knee pain and all this other stuff, and how he's on prescriptions for each one, but some cause other side effects so he's on other pills for those as well - and he's only 27!! I told him pot can help just about every one of those things.
    His argument was that he made a vow when he was a kid to always stay sober.
    I retorted with questioning how sober can he be when he's loaded up with so many pills.
    It's very interesting how people will disregard a damn near cure all natural plant for a hand full of colorful tablets simply because it might alter their perception. But then again, so does cough syrup.

1. d.william profile image74

great points.  There is no logical or rational reason why pot is still illegal in this country. Not one.

5. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

Let me say first, I haven't used marijuana since I was a kid, as I don't like the side-effects (being a mother you have to be alert at all times). With that said, I do feel marijuana has many medicinal benefits. My mother has glaucoma, and if it were legal in our state I believe she would definitely try it to relieve the glaucoma pain. I believe the answer to your question lies with the insatiable greed of the pharmaceutical industry. These corporate giants use their money to exert great influence with not only state lawmaking decisions, but with Washington DC as well. The aim of pharmaceuticals is to make money; they are greedy and don't care if people die. It is the same with their drugs purported to "treat" cancer. Honestly, I don't feel they will ever want a cure for cancer, in fact I think they deliberately thwart all moves to find one. They work tirelessly, not for cures, but for stauncher legislation to prohibit people from easy and legal access to vitamins, minerals, herbal products and natural medicines. There have been independent studies that show that tobacco can benefit Alzheimers, and research that indicates diets high in potassium can defeat cancer. But as long as doctors get kickbacks to prescribe pharmaceutical products, and as long as politicians and the FDA get pork to protect pharmaceutical monopolies, intelligent alternatives to harsh man-made drugs and reckless procedures will continue to be opposed. And of worse, the pharms will continue to propagandize myths about any natural remedies, because in their eyes these things are simply rivals to their corporate interests and must be stamped out.

amen. Every word is truth.

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

You have me interested. How many die from the prescriptions and how many die from the reason they are taking the prescriptions?

not certain, but taking meds should prolong life, but the reactions they cause that kills, are more than people care to know about. TV is often recalling meds with severe side effects

2. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have epilepsy, and anti-seizure meds destroyed my intrinsic factor, turned my red blood platelets fatty, gave me an ulcer and damaged my liver. I stopped taking the meds, as honestly, I was much healthier with just having to endure the seizures.

3. d.william profile image74

Beth.sorry to hear that. It is 1of my biggest gripes re medicine & drugs. Patients R never properly informed about the risks vs. the benefits. I had severe reactions to cholest. meds & thyroid meds. I now trust in God, & a healthy diet &a

4. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree that marijuana should be legalized and prescription meds are too harmful. Plus doctors can prescribe anything they want. There is no system. Every time my husband visits his doctor, he comes home with a prescription for steroids!

5. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Depending on the illness, some prescriptions are intended only to relieve pain and discomfort. They are not intended or expected to prolong life, but to just make it as comfortable as possible for the patient. My mother died from ALS. There is pain.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)