Do standardized tests determine who will be successful?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. HeatherH104 profile image77
    HeatherH104posted 10 years ago

Do standardized tests determine who will be successful?

As a former music teacher I noticed that a week or two before standardized tests all classes/recess were cancelled to cram test ?'s and answers to the test. Does this really prove what kids have learned or how successful they will be in life?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8184863_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 10 years ago

Standardized tests do not prove anything significant about children, and teaching children to the test, especially in the extreme manner you have just described is counterproductive and harmful.  They do not bring out any creativity or original thinking in children, and do much more harm than good.  Standardized tests prove how bad the public school systems are, not how good or bad their students are.

HeatherH104posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100%! I don't understand why our schools do this or what they think they are really proving with the results.

2. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is partly politics.  Also, I think they believed in it when they first started it, but since then, it has been proven to be bad.  Now, it would take more politics and money to radically change them.

3. justateacher profile image83
    justateacherposted 10 years ago

Standardized tests don't prove anything except how to stress out children...we have amazing, bright, wonderful students who perform badly on tests and then get frustrated and want to give up on school...we need some way to monitor progress, but standardized tests are not the way...

I totally agree. Not to mention there are plenty of successful adults who do not pursue careers in material covered in the test. There has to be a better way of proving children understand and can use information taught to them.

4. kmes profile image79
    kmesposted 10 years ago

I think it provides a basic idea of whether students are learning and retaining concepts. The problem with standardized testing is that too often many other important aspects of education get placed on the back burner like: character education, creativity and applied problem-solving. With so much emphasis on standardized testing it seems that students who think creatively or non-conventionally get marginalized or seen as less capable. For example, I once read a statistic that stated that the majority of students labeled as "gifted" were left-brained or step-by-step, linear thinkers while the majority of students labeled as having a "learning disability" were considered right-brained thinkers who rely on intuition and creativity to solve problems.

That's very interesting!
      I do think there are minimal standards kids need to know, just think there has to be a better way of testing it. Having kids cram by memorizing facts on the test for a week before the test doesn't prove real knowledge.

5. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

I think there has to be a baseline of education that everyone gets to. With out benchmarks there is no way of knowing who is where, this is why students are given tests to begin with.
    So I think standardized tests have a certain value in that respect.
    Whether we like it or not there is a certain amount of "test taking ability" exists in virtually every aspect of life.
    So I think standardized tests have a certain value in that respect.
    After the first go around I think teachers should be able to absorb the tested material into their lesson plan with fair ease. If the test is so complex and unrelated that everyone has to drop everything and cram there is probably something wrong with the test.
    I remember as a student having to take such tests and we weren't given any advanced notice. They just walked in and said "today your lesson is changed ad you will take this test instead." There was no cramming, no extra study time, you just took the test and a few weeks later we would hear how we did.

I would think that the learning curve for teachers would be pretty short since they, in theory, know the material.
    All that said I would have to see the test to say if I favor a certain test. If it is a test on the real subject IE: reading music, that is fine.
    But if it is a test on "who added the inner curlicue to the B flat note and in what year was it adopted?" it is a waste of valuable time.

Thank you for your answer. I agree there have to be certain standards met but cramming the answers before the test doesn't prove practical knowledge. I wonder if there is a better way altogether to assess if what was learned can be used.

2. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well as I said for us it was all just part of the classes, If you were in the second semester of English you were expected to know certain things without extra study. We never had a chance to cram.

6. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Absolutely not.  Some people are terrible test takers yet know how to successfully live life, work well with others at work, and have very successful and fulfilling relationships.  Never, never judge a person on their test-taking abilities.  This from a retired teacher who had to " teach to the test" - waste of time and not education at all.

Thank you for your answer. I'm in complete agreement.

7. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 8 years ago

No, certainly not. The results of standardized testing are especially meaningless for children under 8. Therefore, parents of young children should opt out of high stakes testing. It's a waste of class time.

Testing has narrowed the scope of education as teachers teach to the test. Kindergarten teachers now have 90 standards to teach, assess, and document. Creativity, exploration, and problem solving have been replaced by rote learning. Knowledgeable, experienced teachers know that standardized testing is out of control but less experienced ones just go along with the program.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)