What are your views about Chemical Weapons In Syria ?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image64
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 10 years ago

What are your views about Chemical Weapons In Syria ?

Do you think that Syria is a threat to the US?  Do you think that the US should declare war on Syria?  Do you think that the US is trying to make a message?  Do you believe that the US is leading the citizens for support of a war?  Do you believe that this could start a WORLD WAR ?

2. profile image0
    Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years ago

The use of chemical weapons is deplorable, but then, so is killing in general.  I think the greater issue is inaction on the part of the U.N.  China and Russia have used their powers of veto three times to prevent definitive action against President Assad.  Now President Obama is trying to whip up a coalition of the willing {in Congress} to try and gain support for a bombing campaign.  However, without the backing of the U.N, this would signify another unilateral excursion into the Middle East, which does not seem to be the best option.

I can see how the President would want to send a message to our enemies over seas that: "If you attempt to employ weapons of mass destruction/illegal chemical weapons, then you are in for a world of hurt!!" but, I think that the people he is trying to send the message to really don't care.  Islamic extremists have already proven that they will go to any lengths to achieve their goals, and a bombing run in Syria is going to have the long-term effect of creating more resentment- and therefore, more Islamic extremists.

We should, in my opinion, focus our efforts on negotiating consensus through the U.N.  If military action is called for, it should be sanctioned by them, or at least channeled through NATO's command structure.  2 million people have already been displaced by this war, and the death toll is over 100,000 by some accounts.  It seems reasonable to ask: What are they waiting for?

3. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

I find the Obama regimes push for war quite ridiculous. The majority of people do condemn the use of chemical weapons, this is not the issue. The issue most people have is that there is no evidence that Assad used chemical weapons, and yet Obama continues to blame Assad and supporting the AlQaeda backed rebels. There has been proof that the rebels detonated chemical weapons, so why does Obama ignore this?
    I find all this very suspicious.
    If Obama does attack, I fear that it will be the start of a very large war, perhaps ww3.
    Please read http://thomasczech.hubpages.com/hub/On- … nk-of-WW-3
    I ask, "Why does Obama want a war, an illegal one. A war based on lies, because he and his people so far have only lied about Assad.
    Also, the U.S. military uses white phosphorus on people, why is this allowed?

4. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 10 years ago

I have a few questions...

1. Is there iron-clad proof that the Syrian regime used the weapons-- that it wasn't anti-government forces trying to suck us into the war? It's time the government stopped saying "trust us" and show us the proof-- a lot more "national security" is at risk getting into another war than opening up intelligence results. "Get on our knees and pray...we don't get fooled again-- no-no".

2. A "shot across the bow" is a warning shot that splashes harmlessly into the sea. Doesn't it sound like the US is going to blow the bow off the ship?

3. What do we think we can accomplish that doesn't require increased involvement? We can't destroy the chemical weapons themselves without putting tens of thousands of boots on the ground.

4. The rebel factions include Al qaeda and other terrorist organizations. How can we help the "good" rebels and get rid of the "bad" ones who are already imposing their draconian "religious" beliefs on the people in the areas they control?

5. I have other questions regarding the presidency and the Constitution, but they've basically been rendered moot since 2001.

6. Wait! One more. Where was the US when Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons against the Iranians and his own people?

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All your questions should be answered before anyone makes a move further.

5. Borsia profile image38
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

There are just as many, and equally credible, accounts that say the "rebel" forces were the ones who did the gassing, if gassing was really done. This is something fairly easy to fake and there hasn't been any solid proof, is anyone reminded of Iraq here?
    We do know that they have access to Sarin and we know that they are perfectly willing to kill unlimited numbers of civilians, including children. They have done this many, many times and continue every day.
    Even if we believe that the Syrian government is culpable that doesn't warrant the US taking action to help the "rebels" who are mostly foreign mercenaries drawn from Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Taliban and other Islamic extremist. These groups are the enemies of the US, sworn to bring down the West and everyone who isn't Islamic.
    Obama's end goal, or more correctly the profiteer puppet masters who's strings he dances on, is to draw Iran into war with the US & NATO. Another unwinnable war to fill their coffers with unlimited $trillions.
    These vipers don't care who wins or loses, who gets killed or how many lives are destroyed so long as they get rich.
    There is absolutely no reason for the US to get involved and 92% of Americans are opposed to any involvement at all.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

agreed, I see it this way also.

6. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

Assad has said he does not care if it leads to World War III, if attacked he will retaliate.

I do think this could push us into a world war but it seem the world does not want to play along this round and that is at least promising . I do think the world finds the use of chemical weapons a violation and an atrocity but they all want more answers and also want a different resolution other than a war. 

I don’t think Obama is the devil incarnate like some of his detractors make him out to be and I sincerely believe his administration (No President makes any real decisions alone, they just take the heat)  wants to send a message, but I do not support his efforts on this subject. This is a planet wide problem and should be handled at that scale and we need to retire from our role as the worlds policeman.

And no I do not believe Syria, North Korea, Iran or any of them will attack us, of course our allies close to them may be another story.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

Our government (US) speaks of intel confirming the use of chemical weapons by the Syrian government. I want to SEE this evidence and know for a fact it was done but the gov't. I am highly suspicious of rebels that slaughter Christians and have such extremist views.

I want concrete proof before anything is done.

Start a World War. Two days ago, I would have said no, But with China and Russian sending ships out, I do wonder where it will go if we don't settle down.

1. Borsia profile image38
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If Obama has such concrete evidence as he & Kerry claim why are they so afraid of putting it in the hands of the American people? Simple it doesn't exist!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)