Has anyone ever had chigger bites?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Rosie writes profile image84
    Rosie writesposted 10 years ago

Has anyone ever had chigger bites?

We have dealt with them the past 2 years during the Fall - I think they are on the falling leaves. I've read about them, but would like to know if anyone knows how to treat the bites so they are not as itchy and will go away more quickly.

2. Act 3 profile image78
    Act 3posted 10 years ago

If you think you have been exposed to chiggers, take a HOT shower and scrub vigorously! Then do a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

Once you have the bites and they are itching, I don't think there is a magic solution. Dabbing with hydrogen peroxide as soon as possible after the bite may help. Some people use mouthwash or toothpaste on bites. Benadryl gel, hydro-cortisone cream and tea tree oil may provide some relief.

Rosie writesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for those tips.  That makes sense after what I have read about them.  They are so itchy and annoying. I am washing all of my clothes as well, because I seem to keep getting bit while in the house.

3. Silva Hayes profile image76
    Silva Hayesposted 10 years ago

I have had chigger bites.  The worst case was in July in Texas after a heavy rain and we walked through tall grass down on the river.  I was so sick with chigger bites that I couldn't work the next day.  The best thing is to avoid them, because nothing seemed to work well at taking away the pain and itching.  I have tried it all . . . Act 3 has good advice -- as soon as you can after a possible exposure, remove your clothes, take a good long shower, and throw your clothes in the washer.

Silva, that sounds horrible.  I have about 20 bites, but as soon as some go away, new ones appear.  I do spend a lot of time outside, so I have cleaned all of my outdoor furniture, washed sheets and clean all clothes after being outside.  Thanks!

2. Silva Hayes profile image76
      Silva Hayesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rosie, if you think you are getting them from the same area and you work there often, you can dust the area with sulfur (sulphur); it's a yellow powder that you can buy in a bag.  It will drive them away.  We did that when we were clearing brush.

4. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

Oh dear…they are bad boys to deal with!  Southern hunters can tell you more about them than you'll ever want to know.  A tiny bottle of citronella is a great and safe repellant.  Products with deet in them will kill the beasts.  Benadryll topical cream can help symptoms for mild cases.  Benadryl syrup or tablets can provide some relief from heavier cases.  The worst thing about them to me is that I think they carry more diseases than is commonly recognized.  The following link may be helpful:
    https://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publ … /e-365.cfm

Thanks for the tips RTalloni.  I did not know about them carrying diseases.  I will check out your link.

2. artist101 profile image62
      artist101posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had sand fleas, from the beach on my feet. The only thing that helped was dabbing clear finger nail polish on them. It smothered them. Weird, but true. Lanacain is also helpful for itch, as well as benedryl. I feel for you, it's terrible.

5. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 10 years ago

I used to get them a lot as a kid, growing up in the mountains of West Virginia.  We always put real aloe on our bites, helped immensely.

I have aloe and will try that.  Thanks AlienWednesday!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)