Do you think grocery stores should offer a vegetarian check-out lane?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (53 posts)
  1. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Do you think grocery stores should offer a vegetarian check-out lane?

I was grocery shopping this morning and the check-out lines were 5 people deep.  A customer in front of me was disgusted by the packages of fresh meat on the counter in front of her that the first customer in line was purchasing.  I thought to myself, maybe grocery stores should start marketing vegetarian check-out lanes!  What do you think?

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I'd use them! We are vegetarian and we have nothing against those who eat meat, but for me, I can smell meat even in packages and there is a distinct odor I can't stand. I also don't like it when the packages leak on the belts because that is highly unsanitary.

CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  I'm not a vegetarian but I completely agree. I have a very sensitive nose, and it's not fair to those who buy fresh produce that have no place to put them except on a conveyor belt/counter with raw meat.  Fresh stuff bagged with meat is gross 2

2. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

that is really unsanitary. i wouldn't be against packaging the meat better. how difficult could it be to keep it from leaking?

3. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree christian, it's not the "ick" factor so much as the sanitation issue, I don't really want raw meat where my produce is. I'd be all for better packaging.

3. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

I would say no. It does not make sense for a business to go to all the extra expense of opening an additional checkout line with the equipment and employee(s) for a reason like this. Vegetarians should realize that most people use meat products in some way and just accept that fact and be "tolerant." Where would it end? Should they open a separate checkout line for people who don't like candy or tabloids? Just because that person could not control his/her facial expressions at the sight of meat does not mean a store should make that concession.

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, we have NO candy check-outs where I live. As for the meat it is not a matter of "tolerance". It is a matter of food safety and health. Drippings on the conveyor from meat products can and do contaminate non-meat products and can be harmful.

2. profile image0

that makes sense with the no meat thing, but not candy? do you know their purpose for that?

3. CraftytotheCore profile image75

Well here they have child-friendly lanes which are no candy lanes.  They also have handicap lanes too at some stores.

4. profile image0

If i was a child and the no candy lane said child friendly, i would be super confused. lol

5. CraftytotheCore profile image75

LOL, I totally see your point!

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

I dont think we should cater so much to everyone. I sympathize with the vegan, because I know they physically get ill, but where does it end? I think people just need to start acting like adults and deal with things in life that are unpleasant and at times just plain sucks. LIfe is full of situations we find difficult to deal with. Most people who handle unpleasant or even very terrible situations are looked at at as having good character, and i think for good reason.

Oh yes, no doubt, that we can't cater to everyone.  I just thought from a marketing point of view.  There are stores here taking the vegetarian business away from regular grocers.  I am not vegetarian personally.

5. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

Yes...that would be great! I am a vegetarian as a matter of self-defense and meat and poultry slime (who knows what it is) on the conveyor belts pose a significant health risk.

1. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most checkers have an antibacterial spray and will wipe down the counter between customers, especially if you ask.

chemical antibacterial sprays - even better! I usually just go to the DIY checkout lanes when possible, otherwise I directly hand potential contaminants to the checker so they don't touch the belt.

My son's therapist said that she buys at Whole Foods, but she will buy meat products from other countries that are offered at local grocers.  I thought that was very interesting!

6. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 10 years ago

do i think vegitarians should have a seperate check out lane?... no,... its a big world and we can all get along,.. else wise we'd be setting up a seperate kosher lane for those who didnt want to be near pork,... an AA lane where a customer would never have to watch anyone else buy booze,... where does that line of thinking stop?.... ultra conservative christian check out lane,.. this one would not scan condoms, nudy mags, tobaco, alcohol or caffinated beverages,.. and deffinately would NOT have those gossip news rags that have pictures of alien/human babies on the cover because that would be inter-racial breeding.

on the other hand, once we have 17 different lanes in our stores to cater to all the individualy easily offended folks, at least the line in my "i could care less just take my money and get me the H**L out of here" lane would be pretty short.

all that said,.... if some ones chicken leaks all over the conveyor belt,... get the nice checker to hit it with some sanitizer before you drop your grapes there.

they actualy have check out lanes that dont include a conveyor,.. your items are picked out of your buggie, scanned, bagged, and placed into the next buggie,... a LOT more sanitary.

if the presance of meat in your field of vision offends you that deeply change where you shop.

I'm not a vegetarian stclairjack!  It doesn't offend me from a meat perspective.  But, I do think it's gross when my fresh produce is bagged with my fresh chicken!

2. stclairjack profile image77
      stclairjackposted 10 years agoin reply to this

agree,.. thats a question of the bagger not having a clue,.. but then you shouldnt set the cans on top of my bread or my eggs in the bag with the gallon of milk,... i bag my own groceries often.

I like to bag my own as well.  One time I got home to find a bottle of Tilex leaking in with my loose fresh veggies and fruit.  It happens too often that I get home and find raw ground hamburger in with my fresh carrots.

7. annart profile image82
    annartposted 10 years ago

I'm not vegetarian but eat very little meat and I too do not like the smell of some raw meat.  However, shoppers are shoppers, would have the same amount of goods (not like using a fast lane) and therefore I can't see the justification.  As someone else has said, the counter can be wiped, or one can use the self-service counter to check out one's own goods as this means just scanning from basket to bag/trolley and doesn't touch the counter.  It's bad enough trying to find a lane without a long queue, let alone scrabbling for a place in yet another special lane.  It would, however, be interesting to see if it could work.  The proof is in the pudding!
    Great question; a possibility I'd never thought of!

There seems to be more vegetarians here now than ever.  We are starting to see more vegetarian stores and I'm wondering if the grocery stores would benefit from doing this to gain those customers back?  I don't know.

8. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

That is a great idea, but only if in the vegetarian checkout line they play videos of kids working for 10 cents a day in banana fields while getting dosed with pesticides, or videos of environmentally degraded landscapes as a result of emissions from their car that they drove to the store, or fish kills from thermal pollution from power plants that are running their homes, or animal testing videos for the few hundred beauty products they dump on their body every day. How about offering a bucket of insecticides that were used on the crops they are buying for them to snack on while waiting. How about some informational packets about recent produce-spread E. Coli outbreaks.

Now that I think about it, why have them wait in line at all. Why not have a bunch of servants sweep them off their feet as soon as they walk in the door and give them a spa treatment while all of their shopping is done for them and the aisles are cleared for their passing and all of us lowly meat eaters have to bow down to their holiness.

It is so easy to criticize harm to the world when it is a pile of bright red meat nicely wrapped up in cellophane, it is much harder to look for the harm that is much less obvious. I have yet to meet a vegetarian who was a saint and floated above the world causing no harm. I think perhaps it is best they just shop and live with the rest of us flawed human beings. We are all boats in the water. We all leave a wake. Sneering at the person next to you because theirs is a little bigger, really doesn't get us anywhere. And I will guarantee that some vegetarians leave bigger wakes than some meat-eaters.

I know what you are saying here.   I am not a vegetarian and I don't like being called out for killing an animal because I enjoy steak.  I was raised on a farm actually.  But, I just wonder if the stores would gain anything from marketing this way.

Wow, not all of us who are vegetarian look down on meat eaters. Did it occur to you that some of us do it for health reasons? And you say we're on a high horse? geez.

I have many dear friends who are vegetarians.  I also had a cousin hunting deer that got his truck soaked in paint by an activist.  What really stinks is that I have a friend who wasn't a vegetarian and now is and finds what I eat totally gross.

4. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You basically summed it up, junkseller---"...just shop and live with the rest of us..."

5. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Christin, my irritation is with philosophical vegetarians who pretend to be grand environmentalists while being oblivious to the other 95% of their activities. I have known way too many like that. My rant was way overboard, but that is my style.

6. aliasis profile image74
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But what you said has nothing to do with vegetarianism? Meat-eaters will buy the cheapest produce, too. Shall I say "meat aisles" should play videos of factory farms on repeat? Everyone should strive to get food raised humanely, veggie or meat both.

7. CraftytotheCore profile image75

I would also like to see more humane treatment of animals raised for food.  I saw Fast Food Nation and it horrified me!

8. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

aliasis, meat-eaters, via their food choices, aren't expressing an environmental ethic, unlike some vegetarians who are, and I have often found their 'ethic' to be superficial, sentimental, and/or faddish, which irritates me.

9. brblog profile image80
      brblogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Zing . . . .

9. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

It would be difficult especially having a checkout open all day and no vegetarians came through that day. I always made sure I cleaned up any blood from meat straight away when it dripped . Even as a meat eater we didn't like the way meat would drip everywhere . I think it is more of a concern to see the meat packed properly in the first place.

Very true!  I agree that meat should be packed properly.

10. aliasis profile image74
    aliasisposted 10 years ago

Vegetarian here! A check-out lane seems a bit silly, to be honest. But I WOULD love a nation-wide labeling system for vegetarian food. You'd be shocked how much food you think must be vegetarian actually uses animal products of some sort or other. If there were even just a small "V" label on the packaging, that would be so awesome.

That is a very interesting perspective Aliasis!  I do think that would be helpful.  I know people who have allergies to certain things.

2. annart profile image82
      annartposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have labelling on packages here, to indicate whether products are vegetarian or not.  Many restaurants also print signs against the dishes on the menu to indicate this.

Nice Annart!  I have never noticed it here in our stores.  What I have noticed are specialty aisles.  My son has allergies and I have to go to a completely different area in the store to find certain products.  Then I have to read the labels.

4. aliasis profile image74
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! Yeah, I have a relative with a gluten allergy, so we have to be careful about that, too. Most foods mark it on the back, but it'd be nice to have a clear, recognizable  label on the front to mark vegetarian, vegan, or common food allergies.

11. danijean99 profile image57
    danijean99posted 10 years ago

The world needs to get along, the time of checkout or what people are buying does not matter.

I believe in peaceful living for sure!

12. StoneCircle profile image87
    StoneCircleposted 10 years ago

The grocery store I use has a self check out.So if I have 10 items or 150 items, I can bag and check myself out.
    They have conveniently placed sanitizer for the scanner, I have brown cold bags for my frozen items so they make it home still frozen and my bread makes it home unsquished. There is always an attendant there to make sure there is a cart to load in while I unload from my cart.
    Even the organic store I use at times has a self check out and also has it so you buy at each department if you choose.
    As far as your question goes, I think it will be a long time before that will ever happen. It took a long time for organic produce to even be placed on a regular supermarket shelf!

Yeah, I still have to go to a completely different section in some stores just to buy lactose free products.  The veggie cheese I buy for my son is way up front with produce, but the regular cheese is near the last aisle.  It makes things harder.

13. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

I doubt that it would be a very good business model given that vegetarian / vegan make up a rather small percentage of customers and it would likely annoy those in the longer lines.
    Just look at how many people get into the 10 or less item lanes with 15+ items and have a fit when they are called in it.
    Here in the Philippines you are given a bin box for meats and frozen items. It is done to keep the counters dry and clean but it could be done elsewhere. That said in the US meats are usually so well packed and then placed in another plastic bag so I don't see any contamination issues.

14. emilynemchick profile image79
    emilynemchickposted 10 years ago

As a non-vegetarian who nevertheless eats a mainly vegetarian diet, I would be indifferent to a vegetarian lane. I'm just not picky. I do think that many vegetarians, particularly those who have strong feelings against meat, might appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, are there any wholly vegetarian stores?

I live in the Northeast, so there are a few vegetarian stores.  That's what got me thinking about whether or not a grocery store might benefit from marketing vegetarian lanes only.  ;D

2. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes...there are vegetarian stores---at least here in New England and the Northeastern part of the US.

15. PoeticFailosophy profile image56
    PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years ago

the customoo
    in front of you
    was in dire need
    of some weed
    or a xanax pill
    to help him chill.

Well you've demonstrated fine poetry skills!  LOL  That's what the site is for afterall ~ writing.  big_smile

16. profile image58
    Fuginagasakiposted 10 years ago

This may be a nice feature but the business would have to ask whether or not they could afford to do so, also if there's enough demand for one to compete with strictly vegetarian stores. Also there will always be that subset of non-vegetarian customers who demand that it's not fair. This is still a nice thought from a non-vegetarian.

17. katiecooks profile image60
    katiecooksposted 9 years ago

I don't think it's a bad idea. Considering that fact that most people don't even consider putting their meat in the bags provided, I can see where there can be a conflict of interest here!

18. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

This is the very reason I do self-checkout whenever possible. Although I used to be a meat eater, I find I'm now sort of grossed out by raw meat. I don't think grocery stores should have to make a vegetarian checkout, though. It's my problem, so I find a way to deal with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)