When you are notified of a new follower, how do you respond?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)
  1. btrbell profile image87
    btrbellposted 10 years ago

When you are notified of a new follower, how do you respond?

Do you go to their page and check them out? Do you read any of their hubs? Do you mke sure that they are legitimate? I have a lot of followers who seem to be advertisers. Hubpages are really good about weeding them out but I do see many hub authors that are following them.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8426622_f260.jpg

2. billybuc profile image85
    billybucposted 10 years ago

I thank them for the following, read a hub of theirs and see if I want to follow them, and then offer them help if they are a newcomer. smile

btrbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely the best welcome for any new hubber!

3. CraftytotheCore profile image77
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

When I am notified of a new follower, I do look at their profile and see what they write about.  I do read their Hubs, and comment.  I like to encourage other writers.  When I first started, someone was kind enough to vote and share my first Hub.  I found that to be a remarkable welcoming to a writing platform where I was new.  So I try to do the same for others as well.  Plus, I have learned a lot from reading Hubs here.  Where before I used to blog on a blogging site and never had one follower and only one comment.  I like it here much better.

I couldn't agree more! The community is what makes Hubpages!

4. brblog profile image81
    brblogposted 10 years ago

I always check out their profile and at least one of their hubs. Most of the time, I will return the favor and follow them as well.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

I check them out if I am not too busy to follow or not and if I am busy I follow their latest hub so I will get a reminder! Don't think I ever get any spammers.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

Like the others, I go to the person's profile and check out some of their hubs. If they write hubs about things in which I'm interested, I'll follow them.

7. Dallas Matier profile image86
    Dallas Matierposted 10 years ago

I noticed a while ago that there seems to be a tendency for people to go on 'follow binges', where they follow a whole lot of people at once.

I don't really like that. It creates the impression that they never had any real intention of reading my stuff, and that they were just hoping to drum up some followers of their own. And, the amount of traffic I get through HubPages, compared to the number of followers I apparently have, seems to back that impression up (though, to be fair, I'm also aware that a fair number of people who were once active end up leaving the site, too).

So, since I seem to have gotten a bit cynical about the whole process, by this point, the first thing I do is go to their profile to check their recent activity - to see if my name is just one of a long list that had been followed over a period of a few minutes, or whatever.

I'll still take a moment to have a look at their stuff, either way - and, if they write stuff that I'm interested in, I'll follow them. But, I'm likely to be a little annoyed with anyone that follows me as part of a binge, so I'm a little less likely to give them the return 'follow' that they were after.

Thank you, Dallas.I have also had several that haven't written any hubs. They are following 200+ people and have 15 followers. Or something similar. These are the ones that concern me.

8. JohnGreasyGamer profile image78
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

I rarely follow someone for the sake of it, and I detest people doing so just to get some attention. As Dallas Matier said, "follow binges" have been popular, and it's those kinds of Hubber that I like to stay away from. However in the unlikely event they have something interesting to say, I'll be sure to read their stuff, perhaps comment, give some vote ups and then perhaps I'll follow. It's even worse on YouTube, almost upsetting even, because I came here to write and share my work, and people just press that lil' green button in the bare hope they'll get the same back.

While I do encourage people to spark some interest and lure people to your Hubs, this is NOT the way to do it. I would strongly urge any new Hubber to avoid the "follow for follow" technique because more often than not it will be a hallow experience and you'll probably want to write elsewhere because of this. Follow those who you genuinely wish to, and I guarantee they'll do the same. Do you know how I've got 300+ followers and only 60 following? It's because of respect.

9. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

Like everyone, I'm honored when someone chooses to follow me, especially if they've left fan mail.  The only way to respond to fan mail is to look them up, read a hub and leave them a comment.  When you stop and think about it, HubPages was pretty darned smart to set it up that way.  It keeps the writing the thing we revolve around so this is not just a social site.

I learned to be selective about who I follow, so I don't automatically follow back.  I really like to support the hubbers I follow and try to look at their latest work at least once a week,  With only so many hours in the day, that exercise has forced me to limit the number of hubbers I follow.  It works for me but it took a while to figure this out.

10. kidscrafts profile image74
    kidscraftsposted 10 years ago

Usually, I go read their profile and then I try to read one or two of their hubs.  I also thank them for following me.  I like to discover new writers.
    I noticed also as some other mentioned that some people follow a big number of other people when they start; may be it's in the hope of having a core group of people following them faster?

11. Seafarer Mama profile image79
    Seafarer Mamaposted 10 years ago

I usually check out who my new follower is, and perhaps write back to him/her. If my new follower has an avatar and has written at least 1 good hub, I'll follow that person back.

12. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I have notifications of new followers turned off... I have over 1200 I think, so don't have time to check them all out, and it's a boringly slow and tedious process. I'd rather write hubs that can help them all at once smile

1. creativedoc profile image61
      creativedocposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"smart thinking", Notifications of new followers turned off:-)

13. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Since I only have a few followers at the moment (I am just starting) I read their comment and if they are new to me then I look at their site before I 'Approve' or 'Deny' their comment. I may read one or more of their Hubs, depending on what they write.

14. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 9 years ago

Immediately I  check their profile to know a little about them and see what their interests are. A follower chose to follow you because they were interested in your topics. If that is so, we could become friends forever.

btrbellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for answering flpaermo! I do agree with you! I think Hubpages is a community. Followers are part and parcel of building the community.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)