Do you have a hard copy dictionary that you still use like a Merriam-Webster?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Do you have a hard copy dictionary that you still use like a Merriam-Webster?

I still need my dictionary and thesaurus beside be as I'm at my computer writing a hub. I don't use online dictionaries, an installed app/program, or spell checker. What do you use?

2. cianeko profile image86
    cianekoposted 10 years ago

Yes, I do have an old dictionary at home. It's too worn- out, but is still very useful. But usually, I use online dictionaries like dictionary.reference.com because of its accessibility and speed in finding the meanings as well as synonyms/antonyms of the words that I use in writing my articles and poems.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine are very old but still in good condition. Thanks for answering.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

No, I haven't even seen a hard copy of either one of those in quite some time. I use an online dictionary/ thesaurus.

LOL, so funny, Alphadogg16. I'm feeling a little older about now. :-)

4. conneautwriter@ya profile image72
    conneautwriter@yaposted 10 years ago

Yes, I use the American Heritage Dictionary at times. Sometimes, I use Dictionary.com or a comparable resource, but there are still days where the tactile experience of a large hardback volume is the only thing that satiates my hunger for knowledge. One day they may have to pry my AHD from my cold, hard fingers. Until then, I use it.

I'm with you, conneauwriter@ya. I don't think I'll ever switch over. I'm usually just checking for basics, not any new words. Thanks for answering.

5. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

Yep, I have Webster. I don't necessarily use it often. Its there is I ever need it.

Yes, I like that it's still there, too. Thanks for answering.

6. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 10 years ago

I do use online dictionaries, etc., but my American Heritage dictionary is always on my desk as I reach for it first.  I buy a new one every year or when an new update/edition comes out. 

I've found that most kids do not know how to use an actually dictionary (book) so I taught my grandchildren (who are use to using online version).  They really like it.  I told them "now you have a choice".   

Anyway, this is a great question.

Wow, Dee aka Nonna. It didn't even occur to me that kids wouldn't know how to use them. Thanks for answering.

7. Gail Meyers profile image65
    Gail Meyersposted 10 years ago

I still have a huge dictionary I have had for years.  I do not know the last time I used it because I use dictionary.com.

Thanks for answering, Gail Meyers.

8. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

I use a dark blue, heavy and thick OED, published 2003, second edition. I make sure it never falls off my desk because I don't want my toes broken!! I love to thumb through it's many pages although I think it may now be a little bit behind the times.

True, with all the new words and updates over the years. Thanks for answering, chef-de-jour.

9. penlady profile image60
    penladyposted 10 years ago

I use a hard copy thesaurus that's also a reverse dictionary.

Cool, never seen one of those. Thanks for answering, penlady.

10. profile image0
    lambservantposted 10 years ago

Yes I do. I have to admit though, I use mostly online dictionary or the dictionary feature on my computer. My problem is the small print and my eyesight. I wear reading glasses but they don't work adequately. Not only that, but a big dictionary takes up a lot of space on my desk which has little room. The same with the Thesaurus.

Yes, lambservant, having enough work space is important. Thanks for answering.

11. LupitaRonquillo profile image77
    LupitaRonquilloposted 10 years ago

Yes, I still like and use real books! I have two Merriam Webster's dictionaries including an English Usage dictionary which I like to highlight words I've looked up.

Great, to hear I'm not alone. Real books are fading fast. Thanks for answering.

12. MJennifer profile image90
    MJenniferposted 10 years ago

Oh, not just one!  Within inches from me as I write I've got a hefty unabridged hardbound Webster -- it was a very special gift from my parents in 1984 and I still rely on it.  It's a magnificent dictionary, over 4" thick, and it shows much loving use over the decades. 

A few inches to its left are my tattered thesaurus and my paperback New American College Dictionary -- the former is my second thesaurus (after wearing out the first one I owned) and the latter is my go-everywhere dictionary that I carried while at work.  I still grab it for quick reference when I don't want to lift my behemoth off the shelf for something simple.

Of course, no reference library is complete without the Oxford English Dictionary -- essential when I'm looking up word usages and histories, or seeking something more obscure than I might find in the others.  Unfortunately, it is one of those micro-print editions and even with the magnifying glass (thoughtfully supplied by the publishers) AND my readers, I struggle.  It is thanks to my TMB syndrome -- too many birthdays!

Then there are the several variations of dictionaries I never seem to tire of -- Garner's Dictionary of Modern American Usage, so handy at settling arguments about which of two similar words is most appropriate multiple language dictionaries from Turkish to Tagalog; far too many Latin dictionaries (et tu?) and even a dictionary of fictitious places. 

I admit it:  I'm a dictionary hoarder.  Yes, I still use them.  I don't care for online dictionaries at all, and I disable my spell checker as it doesn't understand homonyms anyhow -- and often doesn't have an extensive enough vocabulary to be useful.

Absolutely LOVE your answer! Thanks for taking the time to share and break down the importance and usefulness of an oldschool method, MJennifer. Happy hoarding!

2. MJennifer profile image90
      MJenniferposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Janshares!  I appreciate that I'm not alone in the joy of hard-copy dictionaries!  The best part of them is that you can browse them and stumble across new words, which seems unlikely (if not impossible) with online editions. Thanks again!

13. myefforts profile image52
    myeffortsposted 10 years ago

Not anymore because everything is online now. Oxford dictionary is still there lying in the cabinet but don't have time to go and search for the desired word. I use online dictionary most of the time, also have word web installed that is even quicker.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)