Do you understand that the true new testament church has nothing to do with a pa

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 9 years ago

Do you understand that the true new testament church has nothing to do with a pastor or a building?

Most church members think that a "church" building and a "pastor" are what constitutes a church.   While this is true in the "churches of men" it is not true in the real church of Jesus the Christ.    Scripture gives a totally different understanding of the church of Christ.    Do you know what scripture says about the new real testament church?

2. bstiltner77 profile image67
    bstiltner77posted 9 years ago

Celafoe,

Greetings, I hope you are well. Your question intrigues me. In the spirit of peace, let me begin by thanking you for calling attention to what many have identified as a disconnect between Biblical Christianity and "Churchianity". I too think it's important to have an accurate ecclesiology or understanding of the Church. Yet, it's for this very reason that I must disagree with at least part of your assertion, "... true new testament church has nothing to do with a pastor..."

One of the most beautiful and informing passages of all Scripture regarding the Church is found in Ephesians 4:1-16.

Rather than simply explaining what this passage teaches in great detail, let me offer a few questions which I believe might be helpful.

To whom is this passage written? (Unbeliever...certainly not. According to Ephesians 1:1 To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus)

In the opening of chapter 4, what is Paul's primary concern for the saints in Ephesus (Also known as the church of Ephesus) ? Is it not that they would walk or live in a worthy manner?

How does Paul describe this "Worthy Walk? (It would seem that Paul is referring to a life characterized by humility, gentleness, patience, love and a pursuit of unity)

In an effort to bring about this worthy walk in the body, what or whom has God provided? (11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;)

You see celafoe...though you and I agree on the fact that the "Church" is not a building...we would find ourselves in stark disagreement with the assertion that the New Testament Church has nothing to do with a "Pastor". What's more, you would be in opposition to the Scripture which it seems you are attempting to defend. Admittedly,there will always be a degree of disparity between the "perfect" church presented in Scripture and the problematic church that exists in the here and now. Nevertheless, we should not allow this to drive us away from God's design and plan. In fact, there is  no plan B in God's book...only a plan A. According to Scripture, plan A includes Pastor's and Teachers which are given to the body to equip the Saints for the ministry.

Let me gently recommend that you spend some time studying this beautiful passage of Scripture which offers a wonderful picture of the body of Christ.

Blessings

1. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

since the answer is too long for the comment section I will answer below.

3. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 9 years ago

Bstiltner77-- Thank you for your reply.    However I must correct your understanding of Ephesians 4.   You have  the given me "the churches of men" teaching of this scripture and not the scriptural meaning.   By your addition of the word "as" which is not part of this verse you are trying to make it say something it does not say.
    Eph 4:11-13    And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
    "to be" is not in there in the original either.
    These men given to the church are men that are called by God to be "servants of ALL".   These are ministries that men do and are NOT titles of positions. 
    There are only two positions in the new testament church and they require  SERVANTHOOD not executive performance.    They are Elder (bishop, overseer and elder are the same person) and deacon.,
    Look at the greatest apostle that ever lived Brother Paul of Tarsus.
    HE NEVER set himself up as over anyone and NEVER even called himself  apostle Paul .   He always said ie"
    Eph 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,
    Gal 1:1-2    Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised Him from the dead),  and all the brethren who are with me
    Phil 1:1    Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ,
    There is no such position as "pastor " in the church of Christ, it is only found in the "churches of men" and those that fill it are virtually always hirelings.
    The ONLY titles in the new testament church are "brother" and "sister.
    The correct translation of vs 12 is "for the equipping of the sainst for the work of the ministry".   The saints are to do the work of the ministry not some man that assumes a non existant title of "pastor.
    I have several article pertaining to this on here if you have an interest in the truth of scripture vs the words of men.   
    I would also suggest that you get a copy of the interlinear bible .  A direct translation without the added words of translators that want you to believe their way.
    Your last comment is quite offensive to me as I have been studying scripture longer than you have been alive if that  is your picture.   I believe the scriptures not men.   The bible says Christ is the head of man, and He will teach what scripture means if we ask

1. bstiltner77 profile image67
      bstiltner77posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Celafoe, your statement, "These men given to the church are men that are called by God to be "servants of ALL". These are ministries that men do and are NOT titles of positions." is a bit unclear. Are these ministries or men in your assessment?

2. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

they are servant men given to the church that have been given special anointing by God to fulfill the MINISTRY  the benefit of the body of Christ.  virtually all of the men today calling themself by ministry name are not of God, but of men.

4. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Beautiful, Celafoe. You make a most wonderful distinction, here.

Most people look at the physical and the literal. That's how they treat their interpretation of the Bible, too, and they miss everything.

The Bible was written by Kabbalists and in code. It's a map for the path back to God. That wisdom is now available to the general public. Everything that Christ said is given new meaning and a wholeness that transcends mortal words.

http://perceivingreality.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)