Why are so many people from large families so defensive & go into attack mode wh

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Why are so many people from large families so defensive & go into attack mode when others

rightfully decry the former's abysmal socioeconomic & familial conditions of living on top of each other, constant socioeconomic struggle, inferior food, no medical care, castoff clothing, living in substandard conditions that make homeless shelters seem like palaces,etc.which they admitted to growing up in, saying that it was FINE when in fact, it was abnormal? In large famlies(6 children or more), poverty, socioeconomic struggle, inferior food/clothing, no medical care,&  subsisting is a normal/acceptable lifestyle. Normal people see it for what it's, pure deprivation.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9015911_f260.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think you answered your own question.

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

Wasn't meant as a compliment. You always seem focused on economics. Some of the happiest and most content people I've met come from large, economically depressed families.

We can all learn something from each other...when we aren't thinking our opinions are superior.

WELL, I am taking it as a compliment!  Such people AREN'T happy if you believe that I have a Sutton Place apartment I can sell you for $400!  What world are you living in? I had classmates who came from large, impoverished families.  They were bitter children.  They always had to borrow pencils from the more affluent children.  They also had to be supplied notebooks & other materials by teachers.  These children always asked other children for pencils & notebooks that their parents couldn't supply them.  They also had to depend upon charitable donations to stay afloat.  They don't have the things that normal children have. They see this & become jealous of the other children because they don't have these things. They oftentimes picked on the more affluent children because they didn't have even the necessities. 

You really can't be this naive as an adult woman! Did you attend college or do you just have a high school education?!  You want to delude yourself but such isn't the case.  Large families have to do without, even the rudiments if they have them.  Large families have no medical nor health care.  They have inferior grade food  or no food, oftentimes depending on food programs to get food. They can't provide their children w/educational tools which result in their children being academically behind other children.

Wtf, I am beyond astounded that you believe the nonsense that the "happiest" people you met were impoverished large families.  They aren't happy; they putting up front to deal with their dire situation.  Those who can do better, get educated & affluent & tell you how unhappy they were. My parents came from large, impoverished families & WEREN'T happy, they left the poverty behind & became solidly middle class w/one child(me).  They told me how hard their lives were & wanted me to have a better life!  I know plenty of people who came from large, impoverished families who told me that their childhoods were hellish.  They became educated & middle class or better, they also gave their children a better life than they had.  The large, impoverished families you knew didn't want to improve themselves & had a lifelong poverty mentality & mindset which is PREVALENT in large families. I surmise that it is that way in West Virginia where there are LARGE pockets of impoverished large families who believe that their lifestyle is normative instead of aberrant.

Large families must depend on government & outside assistance to stay socioeconomically afloat as their parents cannot support them adequately.  Large families led a base, animal existence.  No right thinking person is happy living a life of poverty.  Live in reality.  Poverty isn't pretty & have detrimental effects on the children.  Intelligent people don't have MORE children than they can support & provide myriad opportunities for them to thrive.

I have witnessed children from poor, large families continuously ask people for money because they were never provided w/money.  I also gave away clothes & donated other things to impoverished children in large families.  People in large, impoverished families AREN'T happy.  This is a stupid rationalization that people use in order not to face their hellish condition.  No one wants to be poor! It is beyond futile explaining things to you....... I don't glorify poverty but apparently YOU DO!  I see large families as a pathology, I believe in small families so that children can have myriad educational & socioeconomic opportunities.  I know this concept is quite foreign to you, GOOD DAY!
            https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11852325.jpg
            P.S. You may like to associate w/people who are poor & don't believe in improving themselves educationally & socioeconomically but I only associate w/people who are constantly improving themselves educationally & socioeconomically i.e. solidly middle & upper middle class people. Poor people only hinders one's educational & socioeconomic success as they don't believe in these things.  You are beyond belief.  I have never met people such as yourself- this is beyond unreal!  Some of the UNHAPPIEST people & children I met came from impoverished large families while some of the HAPPIEST, NICEST people & children I have met came from solidly middle & upper middle class small families.

Okee dokee. I believe people when they say they are happy. No matter their circumstances. I'm not one to push my standards and beliefs onto others. That's just me.

You're so......CUTE.......
                https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12350379.jpg

When people are in an environment no matter how hellish & haven't been exposed to another environment, they have to make the best of a situation until they can do better as this is the ONLY environment they know at the present time!

Thanks. You do realize that the world is peopled by humans with vastly different desires and needs? What satisfies one does not necessarily satisfy another?

I can agree w/you up to a certain point; however, I believe that children should be planned & not born into poverty, especially in America.  I feel that children should be born in at least middle class homes & have the most opportunities possible.  I believe in smaller families of 1-3 children so that they can have the attention they need to thrive. Right is right & wrong is wrong no matter what we may think & how we see things.   By the way, are you from a large/very large family of 6-more children, just curious?

2. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Non-issue.

Boring.

It's good that you have a sense of humor.
        https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12333657.jpg

2. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 9 years ago

Does a family of eight constitute a large family? Can't recall that we ever attacked anyone.

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You probably grew up in socioeconomic poverty, consuming inferior quality food, having no medical care, & the amenities of life that normal people had. Yes, a family of 8 or more is considered a LARGE family.

3. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Mabye because they survived all the things you just listed  their life is worth something, even if that is all they have. Many do not fill many graves. They can enjoy the many things God gives free. It does not cost money. And the greatest possession of all is when some one loves you . God Almighty loves us all. Even when humans fail. He is faithful. We still get the sun in the morning free, food to grow, rain ,and we still get the visual beauty of many things including a variety of plants, animals to care for. Money is a asset now but not forever. When it is gone, people who know how to live without it will be the first survivors. They will be rich in the end.

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No one should live a less than human existence,that's abuse.However, to children in large/very large families such existence is a way of life.They know how they live is ABNORMALso they rationalize,deny it & put up a FRONT which all can SEE.

2. Kiss andTales profile image59
      Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They may be rich for eternity, when many are rich for a moment . When you die there is no status, there is no debate of who is greater or not. But both have the same value as dust. The Great Depression will be greater  Already money has no value.

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

I am the ninth out of ten children and we did not experience any of that,  My parents worked-my dad was in sales in NYC and he also received VA benefits from serving in WWII-we always had food on the table, decent clothes to wear we were sent to private school when we were kids, lived in a fairly decent sized house in a decent neighborhood no we did not live on top of each other.  But this was in the 1950's when the oldest were born and the 1960s when the rest were born.  So the cost of living was lower than it is today.

5. Chris Neal profile image78
    Chris Nealposted 9 years ago

You know, when I asked if you had a bias, you could have simply said, "Yes," instead of going to this extreme.

Wow.

6. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

People from large families routinely make disparaging, prejudicial remarks about small families, stating that small families are materialistic, spoiled, & shallow because such families have the myriad educational, cultural, & socioeconomic opportunities that large families DON'T or WON'T ever have.  People from large families regularly decry the lifestyle that small families have because the latter live a civilized, cultivated life beyond struggle & deprivation. 

Those from large families are in the habit of denigrating small families on a regular basis.  They view small families as somehow inauthentic families.  However, when someone rightfully criticize large families, they go into attack mode.  They become highly indignant, saying that people are prejudiced against large families.  They even coin the stupid word, fecundophobia.    They can criticize small families all the they want but don't anyone dare criticize their "sanctified" large family.  They feel that they are beyond reproach while they can freely demonize small families.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)