Do you believe that an adult can be a bully or is it restricted to kids ?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. loveofnight profile image74
    loveofnightposted 9 years ago

Do you believe that an adult can be a bully or is it restricted to kids ?

We often speak on children being bullies but those bullies do grow up. Do you believe that they grow up and stop being that way ?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9138166_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Sure! We just call it different things when it happens from adults. Harassment, bossy, demanding, creating a hostile work environment, along with some well chosen "four letter words" that are often spoken under one's breath.
    I believe some people are natural "type A" personalities.
    People only change when what they're doing is not getting them the results they want.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

oooooooo  am a type "A" personality and I am not a bully.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lady Guinevere, Is that (your opinion) of yourself or have you gotten anonymous sources to confirm this? smile Unfortunately it's rare for anyone who doesn't like us to be direct about how they feel. Rarely is a bully called a bully to their face!smile

3. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did the psych scale and found out that I had many quailities of type A. Don't ever call a bully to their face, you might lose you face.  LoL..seriously.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amen! Only a fool would call someone a bully to their face LOL!
      They say the "funniest person" in any company is the boss. Everyone laughs at his or her jokes! (But are they REALLY funny?) They'll never know. :-)

3. loveofnight profile image74
    loveofnightposted 9 years ago

i guess that old saying that some kids never grow up is really true.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

Oh no there are adult bullies in this world.  They are in the neighborhoods, on the boards, in the school, on the Police beat and even in the office.  Believe me I have had my share of meeting these kinds of people in all of those places.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 9 years ago

Adults can be bullies. Although I haven't been bullied by adults, I've seen it happen to other people. As Dashing said, we just use different words to describe the person, but a bully is a bully no matter what age they may be.

6. CreeViking profile image85
    CreeVikingposted 9 years ago

Oh yes, they can be bullies and are. You can find them at gyms, workplaces, amusement grounds.The bullying takes on a different form when you become an adult as outright threats are illegal but they are definitely there. I believe that child bullies, if the behavior is left unchecked, will grow up into adult bullies. I do not believe that bullying is something you 'grow out of'

loveofnightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

it is sad that it is something that they may not grow out of. i guess the next thing on their list is to bully their family.

7. profile image0
    mothersofnationsposted 9 years ago

Yes, a bully can grow up and stop bullying as they mature and deal with whatever situations lead them to the pain, anger and control issues.

Also, I have indeed witnessed adult bullying. Matter of fact I have a family member who was a bully as a child, still is as an adult, and his/her children are now bullies as well.  I realize his/her issues stemmed from childhood, the need for some kind of control, as well as an outlet for his/her own anger and pain. They have never properly dealt with it and unfortunately doesn't see a reason to, (as s/he thinks they are "just fine".)

It's sad to see this happen with children but it's also just as sad to see it happen with adults. I think it's easier to help the bully as a child than it is to try to help them as adults. Sometimes adults will adamantly refuse help, but children are more apt to listen to reason, and share the cause behind thier issues.

As an adult, you have to find just the right moment to plant a seed that can help bring them peace and healing. Takes a lot of patience and determination to help someone who doesn't want to be helped but it's not impossible to guide a bully into healing.

I rely on prayer for God to guide me in this. Lord knows I try.

God bless you all...

i wanted to believe that with the maturity of years that wisdom would kick in and it would end.

2. profile image0
      mothersofnationsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to believe the same as well but unfortunately that doesn't happen so easily with everyone. I learned to lead by example when the door opens but to keep a distance when needed... And of course prayer - God is my sanity and all else...

8. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 9 years ago

Of course adults can bully and be bullied. In fact, adult bullies tend to do what is called "mobbing" or ganging up on their targets.

interesting i never heard of mobbing before

9. DaisysJourney profile image68
    DaisysJourneyposted 9 years ago

Absolutely!  An adult can be a bully.  Ever worked with middle management mentalities?  Insecure small people trying to puff themselves up by making others feel inferior is what bullies tend to do.  I saw it when I worked in offices and I see it now that I work in schools.

I am very bothered by "public bullies" when I see a parent berate a child in a store or hear of a teacher humiliating a student in class. 

One of my hubs is on bullying and I mentioned there that many teachers tend to be blind to bullies because the victims are sometimes the "annoying" kids.  I have seen this in my thirteen years as an educator.  The guidance counselor calls the annoying girl a liar desperate for attention.  The principal says the gay kid "brings it on himself by acting gay.  If he just acted normal, he wouldn't be picked on."  Don't get me started on how gay and normal are not antonyms in the English language!  I've seen it with the one student who drives most teachers crazy and is targeted by administration for every breath, eye roll, and word.  (When I told this student I liked his sense of humor, he started to cry.  He had never received praise from a staff member in a learning institution.)  Bullying happens and it comes from adults.

1. profile image0
      mothersofnationsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's so sad. You're a blessing for those children who need someone to offer them a little compassion. I'll be looking for your article on bullying. God bless you.

10. jlpark profile image78
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

Definately.

In my profession - nursing - there is a habit we used to all "Nurses eating their young" - older, old school trained nurses bullying new graduates, or younger nurses. It's now called "Horizontal Violence" and there are usually things in place to try and curb/prevent it (doesn't happen so much anymore). 

I've even been a bullied person - more than once - since graduating in my profession 13yrs ago. Though, not in the last 8-9yrs!.  And, whilst it's unpleasant, there were people I could report to when I noticed it, and it could be dealt with. 

The experience has made me aware of how I do things - I make sure that any new nurses, or students, feel supported and make sure they know where to turn to should someone bully them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)