Do you believe that kids bullying kids is a bigger issue now than when you were

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (27 posts)
  1. giselle2323 profile image59
    giselle2323posted 13 years ago

Do you believe that kids bullying kids is a bigger issue now than when you were a kid?

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I believe bullying is more profound now then when I was a child. Technology has played one of the key roles in children being bullied. Bullying was the basic school yard activity and now it has spilled onto the Internet.

3. KT Banks profile image62
    KT Banksposted 13 years ago

That is a tough question. I do think that in today's America, kids are not as resilient as generations ago.

Like in early childhood, in some sports they don't even keep score so that no one gets upset. And they all get trophy's just for, well, I guess just for showing up.

However, now we have cyber bullies where the bullying doesn't stop just because you've reached the safety of home. And text bullying, viral bullying and God knows what else.

Maybe it's a bigger issue today today because of the media bringing more focus to it.

Good question Giselle! I look forward to reading more responses.
    - KT

4. Sarah Masson profile image61
    Sarah Massonposted 13 years ago

Bullying has always and will always be around. I had my fair share of being teased etc. but today it seems that bullying has gotten more extreme. The violence these days is astounding! People say and do some really nasty things and it's getting worse. It's really sad.

5. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

When I was at school bullying was as bad as it is today only there was a difference...we faught back or got our big brother or his mates on the case....it soon stopped !!
    These days kids are taught not to fight ,so the bullys get away with it to a certain degree...far too much PC !!

There is no respect for law and order or for diciplin of any kind
    they know they will get away with it or at least  not be punished too badly for their crimes ...they live to torment and fight another day.

My son was bullied at school and never told us ..it continued into his adult life until the bully was killed on his motorbike...my son  being the sort of lad he is forgave him  everything , sent flowers  and   also attended his bullies funeral.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

nope. i have 3 kids that are in school and it seems if anything, bullying is less of an issue now. like many things though, thanks to the media we hear about it more so it seems worse.

7. mikicagle profile image83
    mikicagleposted 13 years ago

As a teacher I have to say no, but there are differences. Kids today are more desensitized to violence-they think life is like one of their video games, you die and all you have to do is push a button and you get another life. They don't understand the lasting damage they do to others with their behavior.

8. profile image0
    wilbury4posted 13 years ago

I think the consequences are worse... When I was a child, I never heard of any child taking his/her own life due to being bullied. So I would say yes, it is a bigger issue nowadays.

9. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 13 years ago

No, I do not. But I do believe that parents are more willing to explore the situation through legal means than before. In the past getting beat up at school was a lesson to learn from, and how to not get bullied. Today, it is a lesson in how to file a complaint in small claims court properly.

10. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

since adolecents were first gathering together,.... there was a bully,..... seems so easy that even cave man could do it? ha!

the difference today is not in how mean or more prevelant it is,.... but in how we handle it,..... we dont sack up like we used to,.... we lawyer up.

http://hubpages.com/hub/the-myth-of-the … yard-bully

11. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

Anyone who thinks bullying is less of an issue now either lives in the perfect paradise, has kids who are bullies themselves and refuses to realise that their precious snowflakes could hurt someone else, or is completely oblivious.

Bullying's no longer an isse? So those kids who committed suicide after being relentlessly teased, beaten up and tormented, by their peers they were just being drama queens right? Maybe they had it coming? Oh, wait, no, those kids who were picking on them were just trying to help, right?

Seriously though, bullying is definitely a bigger issue now, because even though school officials have no possible way to ignore what's going on, they still choose to look the other way. Or come up with some stupid excuse that justifies the bullying.

When the Ad council finally takes notice of something and decides to long a commercial campaign to tell parents how to raise their children, it's been going on for too long.

12. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure I would say it's a "bigger issue" per se but it is being talked about more often these days. In past generations parents simply told their kids to fight back and if something awful occurred it was pretty much a "local story" if it made it to the news outlets at all.

Today with Youtube, Internet access, and Social Networks...etc a local story can go "viral" almost instantly. The next thing you know there is a discussion on "The Today Show", "Good Morning America", "The View", or "Oprah"

Bullying use to be something that happened on or near school grounds. Today it's a 24 hour activity through the use of cell phones text messages, emails, Twitter, MySpace, and Face Book. It appears more kids are driven to suicide than in the past. (Of course this may not be true but rather it's more news worthy than before,)

Lastly in past generations there were far less GUNS and KNIVES brought to school. Bullying rarely rose to the level of (life and death). When it did it was usually because the kid who got bullied "snapped" one day.
    Parents, Teachers, and School officials have to be on the same page. It's time they stopped looking at "bullying" and "teen sexual harassment/violence" as part of the growing up process. I recently addressed this in a hub.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/theroleofparentstostopbullying

13. jacqui2011 profile image82
    jacqui2011posted 13 years ago

I think bullying is a bigger issue that when I was at school. The schools do recognise this and have anti-bullying policies in place to help the victims. My stepson was bullied via text and a social networking sight when they couldn't get at him in school. The teachers were great, but when its happening outside school its very different. Bullying can be reported to the network administrators but this doesn't stop the problem. I've even heard of some local schools running special workshops for victims of bullying which concentrate on team building and working in teams with the purpose of building their confidence and self-esteem. This is so important because victims of bullying are often so low and depressed that I think these issues need to be addressed even after the bullying has stopped.

14. anabrea profile image61
    anabreaposted 13 years ago

While I don't think that straightforward, face to face bullying is worse today than it was then, the fact that we now have a whole new category brought about by technology, what we call "cyberbullying", does complicate matters quite a bit.
    There were two very publicized student deaths to suicide connected to cyberbullying in Massachusetts last year. Practices such as this can erode a child's sense of selfworth outside of the realm where it can readily be observed by a teacher or parent until it's late to prevent it. The damage can be fatal.

15. amwalsh profile image66
    amwalshposted 13 years ago

No.  Bullying has always been around in one form or another.  For kids it has just evolved and spread through the use of social media, and other forms of technology etc...In addition to information travels at such a fast pace it is more reconizable and the awareness of it has increased. 
    But I agree with the other comments that if you were bullied then if someone didn't take up for you, you took up for yourself.  Sooner or later the bully picked on the wrong person and got beat up themselves then it stopped.  And was a good visual lesson for future wanna-be bullies.

16. jpcmc profile image90
    jpcmcposted 13 years ago

NO. The only difference is in the amount of attention that it is getting.  Several decades ago there was less attention to child's behaviors.  Now, even the simplest misbehavior has a label and warrants professional help.

17. Melissa.P profile image60
    Melissa.Pposted 13 years ago

I don't think it is a bigger issue than before. Before kids just had to learn that bullying happens and we had to accept it.  Today parents and the media are realizing how bad the issue really is.

18. GusLe profile image41
    GusLeposted 13 years ago

It is in no way a bigger problem now than it has ever really been. However because of media exposure and new venues for bullies to reach the bullied that older generations didn't grow up with, bullying has become a bigger issue.

19. JillKostow profile image87
    JillKostowposted 13 years ago

Yes and No
    I think bullying has more attention brought to it now than in the past.  But in the past you didn't have all the different outlets to use to bully others such as; the internet, text messages, and so on.  In the past you mainly had to bully to their face.  In today's situations bullying is done online or through texts and once it is put out there it is there forever!!!!

20. profile image49
    Jean Hideyposted 13 years ago

Yes it is. I was bullied when I went to School, I tried committing Suicide. I was Bullied everyday that I went to School. I know that something has to be done, NOW. I have a Grandson who is being Bullied. I fear for him. I think that if the Parents know that  their child is a Bully, and they nor the School does nothing to stop it, they both should be held responsible, if anything happens to the Child. Something needs to be done NOW TO STOP the BULLYING.

21. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

No, it simply has gained more awareness.  It is a good thing, when we remove "shame" from the backs of the victims.

Suffering in silence was once the norm, still, they suffered.

22. haikutwinkle profile image59
    haikutwinkleposted 13 years ago

Bullying was a serious issue then and still is.
    I believe each case is different and unique for each person. Sometimes the child being autistic is being misunderstood as a bully, or sometimes the child is acting against normal social behavior due to unhealthy environments or peer pressure, or sometimes it is the soul that needs nurturing, attention, love, healthy environments/relationships...etc.
    Just a thought.
    Regards.

23. Yawapi profile image60
    Yawapiposted 13 years ago

When I was a kid in the 70s, bullying was more extreme. New kids and high school freshman knew they were going to get hazed by upperclassmen (put in garbage cans, heads in toilets, etc.) Adults back then looked the other way or just said, "kids will be kids". Many kids were very hurt by this though. I think that today there is a lot more awareness about bullying and a lot less tolerance. I think that's for the better.

24. outlawsphinx profile image60
    outlawsphinxposted 13 years ago

The only reason bullying is a bigger issue now is because of the way that bullying has evolved. I was bullied every day of school until the 8th grade when I finally punched the snot out of the ring leader. She never spoke to me again but she still spread vicious rumors. When I was in school, fights happened all the time and normally..nothing was done about it and the kids that defended themselves were left alone. Brothers looked out for the younger siblings and so on.  Today, kids are bullied in more ways than just in school. There are text messages, emails, modified pictures, some not modified pictures and social networking sites that have become tools in a bully's arsenal.
    I do agree that bullying needs to stop but I do have to point out that it rarely does. There is always going to be someone that is going to feel superior to you and going to try to convince you that they are superior. I'm not saying that these kids need to suck it up. These kids being bullied need to talk to their parents and have their parents throw the fit to the school board.
    HOWEVER. One thing that I do not agree with concerning bullying is most school's policies. Most schools, in the event of an altercation (both physical or verbal) the school will suspend both the aggressor and the victim in an idiotic “Zero Tolerance” idea. If it were truly zero tolerance, they'd suspend or expel the aggressor. Chances are if he or she bullied one person..there are others that have been bullied by that same person. How hard is it to ask around??

25. Eric Prado profile image72
    Eric Pradoposted 13 years ago

Absolutely. Back when I was a kid, bullying never seemed to turn a single head. Now, it is getting worse and even the teachers get in on it.

26. profile image0
    Buddhist Hotdogposted 13 years ago

I think it's different now, yes, bigger - in the UK the schools are bigger now, merged with each other, and maybe more scary, and online bullying means the bullied kid can't even get away from it at home. Online slanging matches get out of hand and spill over into the real world - when I was a kid, if you argued with someone one day, you went home and maybe sulked about it, but most of the time you'd go into school the next day and it was all forgotten, or we laughed at it, but now, an argument in school can be taken home and continued on Facebook, and in the privacy and comfort of their own bedroom on their computer, kids (and people in general) are likely to say much more aggressive things than in the real world - whether they mean to or not - there's no tone of voice on the internet to tell if someone's joking or friendly or rude etc.

27. Sabrinna. profile image57
    Sabrinna.posted 13 years ago

I'm a kid myself. I think I can answer, honestly, and accurate Due to the stories i've heard my parents tell me, I would say yes. Without hesitation.
    I personally think that bullying will continue to get worse, and worse.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)