Do you really believe there is a "white privilege"?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Sara Jofre profile image67
    Sara Jofreposted 9 years ago

Do you really believe there is a "white privilege"?

Specially in US, where this issue seems to be more hot, when the majority of the population voted twice to have a black president ruling the country, do you really believe that there is a "white privilege" or are people just claiming "racism" whenever things don't go their ways? Are people still living in the past?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

I saw a cartoon the other day where Al Sharpton was standing in a snow storm. It showed him with his hands up saying "This snow is white;it must be racist." I think this sums up how the black community is being brainwashed into thinking they are the minority.

In this day and time the young, white man is the minority in this country. Say a young white man and a African american young man apply for the same job? Who is going to get the job? The African american of course or they will scream discrimination. This is what this nation has came to. Did you hear about the teenage white girl in Mississippi who was set on fire and burned to death? Of course not. Where is the civil leaders calling out for justice for this young girl?

1. Sara Jofre profile image67
      Sara Jofreposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear lord! I did not hear about that girl ! But I wonder many times, when a white person is killed by the police do people ask the race of the police officer who did it or do they assume that the man, whatever colour, was just performing is duty?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great question Sara!

3. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are tragedies on all races .it is just selfish to think this only happens to one race of people.
      I have read terrible things happening to white people ,oriental, Latin, you name it. But people are just totally upset at any injustice that comes

3. habueld profile image61
    habueldposted 9 years ago
  4. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 9 years ago

Yes, of course there is...

And yes, there are people that claim racism when things have nothing to do with race.

5. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 9 years ago

Here's my cartoon: white guy sees bunch of black kids hanging out...pulls out gun, says,"A bunch of black kids, must be thugs"
    If they find who burned girl--they will go jail;. No jail for killers of Martin, Brown, Garner and little12 yr old. See the difference. I'm white......never been targeted as bad person due to my skin.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What does this have to do with the question posed?

2. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

responding to you....isn't it obvious...But Ok--yes,there is white privilege.It's obvious by the way Obama is treated! No white pres ever asked if he born here, or accused of hating America.

3. Jack Burton profile image78
      Jack Burtonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lmc obviously has a short term memory when it comes to the horrid things said, written, and posted about Pres. Bush, Bush, and Reagan.  In her fantasy world the conservatives are always evil and the liberals are always spotless pure.

4. lovemychris profile image76

None of it was about the color of their skin.Or maybe you can explain, Jack, the Tea Party blaming Obama for TARP....portraying him as voodoo witch doctor w bone thru his nose-something Rush said to a black female too, as a matter of fact. Ingrained

6. Jack Burton profile image78
    Jack Burtonposted 9 years ago

anyone whining about "white privilege" is just admitting that their ancestors were not quite as smart, apt, physically able, and civilized as Europeans.

1. habueld profile image61
      habueldposted 9 years agoin reply to this
    2. Jack Burton profile image78

and...

3. lovemychris profile image76

White Lady Blues...can't get what I want when I want it: It is OWED to me cause im white, and your'e not.

4. habueld profile image61
      habueldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

5. realtalk247 profile image75
      realtalk247posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not true. If you block resources, refuse to provide others with equal footing and take "special interest in a "certain" group succeeding, that is NOT superior intelligence.

6. Jack Burton profile image78

Realtalk, If my ancestors were able to do all those things you suppose then that pretty much proves by default that others were inferior and my ancestors were superior. If it was the other way around then folk would be complaining the other way.

7. dougwest1 profile image95
    dougwest1posted 9 years ago

From my little world view I would say there isn't white privilege. If there is, send some my way. I don't see it where I live. Maybe I don't get enough?? The media loves to stir people up so they can sell more newspapers and TV ads.

8. realtalk247 profile image75
    realtalk247posted 9 years ago

Yes. It is true. In a training I've seen a trainer (with multiple people present, more than once) direct questions and teachings to people that are Caucasian. I've witnessed in several corporate environments people seek to make relationships, josh about the sports game, etc. by senior management while dismissing the attempts of other employees to bond and gain knowledge. I have witnessed executives/management take the time to pull up a chair and explain everything step by step while flippantly dismissing non-Caucasians with quick answers and little explanation.  To deny is to lie.
    I've witnessed management go out of their way to include and exclude minorities. It does exists and it's crazy for anyone to say otherwise. Live on the other side or open her eyes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)