Can you think of a situation in which it would be ethical to torture somebody?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Ghaaz B profile image68
    Ghaaz Bposted 9 years ago

Can you think of a situation in which it would be ethical to torture somebody?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12049214_f260.jpg

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
    schoolgirlforrealposted 9 years ago

No, doing that is inhumane for the person and those watching.

There are other ways to punish people that may be even worse like isolation!!!

torturing is brutality.

Ghaaz Bposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.. As a form of punishment, isolation and torture are both entirely unethical; they're synonymous. Any form of retribution or punishment is always unethical.

But we can think a little deeper, philosophically, about when torture might be ethical.

schoolgirlforrealposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you're contradicting yourself. First you say it's wrong then you say it could be ok. We already isolate people like solitary confinement..I was thinking of exile.Some people voluntarily exile themselves and like it so it may not be punish

3. Ghaaz B profile image68

I'm saying it's wrong as a form of punishment. Punishment is not supposed to represent retribution.

In other instances, you might be justified in using torture to obtain life saving information from a monster who you know has the information.

4. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Isolation is a form of torture. Besides, who knows what goes on in an isolation cell? No witnesses.

3. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 9 years ago

Think of this. A group of people are trekking in a remote hill. A man in the group gets unexpectedly wounded by a gun shot and there is absolutely  no wherewithal to take him to a hospital for treatment. If the bullet is not removed immediately, he is likely to collapse. A doctor who happens to be in the trekking team decides to use his pen knife and take the  bullet out immediately and he has no tranquilizer to apply.

I think such a scenario may fit into an "ethical torture".

Hey C.V smile

Great answer. Best so far.

This is a situation and application I hadn't even considered for a moment. Thumbs up.

schoolgirlforrealposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's good

3. quildon profile image74
      quildonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Torture is a deliberate infliction of pain and suffering. In this case, what you would be doing would be to relieve suffering and save the person's life. That's not the same as torture.

4. Ghaaz B profile image68

I'm inclined to agree with you, quildon. This situation isn't torture in the traditional sense, or even the definitional sense.

From the perspective of the one with the wound though, one could see how he might refer to it as a type of torture.

5. Rod Marsden profile image66

In removing the bullet you are not trying to get the other person to talk. If you were you'd probably get gibberish from them anyway. It has been proven. Torture leads to the gathering of misinformation. It also leads to the torture of the innocent.

4. greenteatravels profile image66
    greenteatravelsposted 9 years ago

If I knew for certain that they had my son locked up in a basement somewhere, and weren't talking, absolutely.

It depends how far you want to go though. Waterboarding (in the image) is terrible, but it's not "torture" in the "Spanish Inquisition" sense. It's almost not much more than making somebody extremely uncomfortable. If my son, or any child or innocent person, is going to die if they don't talk, we have no moral obligation to make them feel comfortable.

Actually torturing them though, like mutilation or any long-term damaging, barbaric stuff, is unethical, regardless of consequences.

This answer falls almost squarely in line with what I was thinking. I will elaborate in my own comment below, but philosophically, we're headed in the same direction here. Great answer!

2. Rod Marsden profile image66

Unfortunately people desperate for answers who use torture inevitably end up with the wrong answers. A serial killer might respond to torture but even there I have my doubts. religious nuts or the innocent...very doubtful.

5. Rod Marsden profile image66
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

Off hand I would vote no. The information gathered from torture is dubious at best. If the subject doesn't actually know the truth then under torture they will make something up. This has happened in recent times. The USA went insane for a while after 9/11. It is now paying the price with sour relationships with various countries in Europe that were happy to have U.S military on their land but not so happy to be part of a campaign of torture and in some instances death through torture. In the USA there has been some suspension of civil rights that is frightening. Keeping someone prisoner for months, even years without charging them is just so wrong. You cannot defeat the terrorists by becoming a terrorist.

When you have the laptop of a high ranking Al Qaeda official like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, with 10 years of information on its hard drive and hundreds of emails, he can't just make things up. The idea that torture NEVER works is a PC myth.

2. Rod Marsden profile image66

I would in the instance described rely more on the laptop for information than torture.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)