Why is Brian Williams' lie about being in a helicopter when it was hit by an RPG

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

Why is Brian Williams' lie about being in a helicopter when it was hit by an RPG a big deal?

President Obama lies almost every time he opens his mouth. Every week his administration lies about one thing or another, he won the lie of the year for heaven's sake. He and every leader in the Democrat party lies and lies about lying, just Google lying about lies. Hiliary Clinton running for President the first time, forget all her various other lies, said that she and her daughter, Chelsea, were shot at in Bosnia in 1996, proven to be a lie and she is the Democrat front runner for president. Seems to me Brian Williams' lie should launch him into a political career in the Democrat party.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12184281_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 9 years ago

Tsad, I think it is because even though we know most Politicians lie to us, we expect some semblance of truth from the Media people who report the news to us.
    We are so used to Politicians lying, we just don't believe much of what they say any more. It is disappointing that someone we should still be able to trust tells us lies.
    I don't see this as a big deal, just a violation of trust.  He has now lost any credibility he may have had with most of the public.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Old Plmn..All due respect, Brian has not lost credibility with me nor with many others.It's fairly clear he merely told an old story, making an error of placing himself in the helocptr that was shot. He explained & apologized on air, which suffic

2. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually Paula the event happened in 2002 and on several occasions over the last 13 ys he has changed the story to morph it into what it is today.I'm tellin you he should be a politician.Obama only got away with the lie of the yr for 3 yrs :-)

3. Zelkiiro profile image86
      Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, tsad. How short your memory span must be to forget the imaginary nukes Saddam Hussein apparently had back in 2003, and who told us about them.

4. tsadjatko profile image65

Maybe you can refresh my memory - do you have a link about someone claiming Sadam Hussein had nukes in 2003, in this world my friend not your parallel universe.

5. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

fpherj48 - If someone can't remember if they were or wern't in a helicopter that was shot down they have some serious mental issues.  Being shot down in a helicopter is something one would never forget if they lived through it.

6. fpherj48 profile image60

Q: If 20 people witness the exact same event and one of them makes public claims that this or that occurred.(which actually did NOT happen) why do 19 others not speak out in correction or rejection? For years he embellished with NO rebuttal??

7. tsadjatko profile image65

NBC crew?Because the liberal media only employs people who will walk in lockstep with the left who do nothing but lie.Not going to risk their jobs on this!there are multitude of lies they don't speak out about because of the unspoken rules

8. fpherj48 profile image60

Military personnel were also involved I know about the wall of protection..police officers & doctors are the biggest offenders.  In these groups, if one lies, the other swears to it.Eventually, the truth catches up.I see this may be the case?

9. tsadjatko profile image65

It was Chris Simeone, is a retired US Army warrant officer 4 and the pilot who spilled the beans http://pagesix.com/2015/02/05/pilot-of- … -was-dust/ the thing is Williams original reporton air 2003 was thetruth

10. fpherj48 profile image60

Old Plmn...LOL, Yes, I agree that is not something one would be confused about. My thought is that he has told the story so many times and embellished each time, he backed himself into a corner. I just don't think it's that "criminal."  smile

11. tsadjatko profile image65

Paula, it's not criminal, I'll bet NBC does nothing about it and in another day it will be totally forgotten, just like Benghazi caused by a video, the lie of the year, fast/furious, IRS lost emails, lying about lies which actually are criminal.

12. fpherj48 profile image60

and I'll bet your right.....which is why I have a tough time with all the ridiculous HOOPLA over things like this.   I mean, are there not enough egregious issues threatening us...we need to beat up on a Newsman?  Silly~plain silly.  HELLO ISIS.

3. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 9 years ago

Truth in reporting is critical to the reporting of factual situations.  I feel it was self aggrandizement that spun out of control.  Now I can see the extension on his nose ... pinnochio.  In court, if you tell one lie, the judge has the right to disregard anything you say.

I do feel badly for him even though he makes way more money than I do.  He will survive even if he is asked to resign.  He can go around the country as a paid speaker telling why he lied.

LOL "...a paid speaker telling why he lied." LOL Well he tried to lie about lying but wasn't too good so he couldn't be qualified to be head of the DNC! http://humanevents.com/2012/09/05/debbi … out-lying/

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Tsad, I channel surf looking for news and would love to get the news.  If I want to see reality tv, I know how to get to those stations.  Of course politicians lie and I hate politics.  If you can't tell me the truth, why are you bumping your gums?

4. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

Simply put it was because he is a news anchor. If you can't trust the msn reading the news to you Then who can you trust?

Really,wouldn't you say it's much more a big deal when leaders of the country lie to our face,not once,not twice but a whole history of lying,cover ups like Benghazi,fast&furious,IRS corruption,lying about lies...no big deal there?still inoffice

2. lawrence01 profile image64
      lawrence01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you tsadjatko. But he's the face of the media and that's what people think!
      As for the Politicians well I've yet to come across one modern one who tells the truth at all! (the last one we Brits booted out of office)

5. rharper profile image80
    rharperposted 9 years ago

I use to tell my wife stories about work, things that happened in Mexico,  did she see what they said about Madonna.  You know.  One day she said, "I hate your stories".

P.S. Haters are everywhere. If newscasters would wear Hawaiian shirts I would feel comfortable and at ease.

Yeah, I know, I cooked raspberry pies for my wife,that was in Canada,did she care what they said about Brad Pitt.You know. One day she said, "I hate bananas."
      PS.Haters are everywhere! If newscasters would grow beards I would feel more at ease.

6. nancynurse profile image70
    nancynurseposted 9 years ago

First it undermines his credibility as an anchorman and or reporter and then he gets caught up in another lie by saying he can't even remember what happened. I have to wonder how dumb he thinks we are.. Reporters write many of their own pieces. I want just once to know someone is giving me the news for the sake of the news not to get ahead or make themselves look good.
    When I found out he did not even have drive to finish college I began to question his abilities. Now I have lost respect for the man.

7. lesliesinclair profile image76
    lesliesinclairposted 9 years ago

As Ian Millhiser (@imillhiser) tweeted on February 11, 2015, "Brian Williams becomes first person in human history to suffer professional consequences for lying about the Iraq War."

We need to be able to trust journalists, elected officials, and those in government, surely. For instance, George Bush and all those who got us to invade other countries based on lies, such as the weapons of mass destruction lie, they should have told the truth too. We need to hold them all accountable, wouldn't you agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)