What Are Some Easy Ways To Live More Self Sufficient?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 9 years ago

What Are Some Easy Ways To Live More Self Sufficient?

2. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

There are plenty of hubs on the subject on HubPages that are very helpful reading material. It seems to be a growing trend to live more self sufficient. The internet is saturated with right at our finger tips on information on the topic. I recently invested in back up power incase of power outages.

3. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 9 years ago

There are lots of things you can do to live more self sufficient .in the end it is cheaper and you help the environment too.
    One of the things is to grow your own vegetables, preferable without Monsanto GMO. It saves you a lot of money if you don't have to buy your fruits and veggies any more.
    The other thing you can do is buy solar panels. You have to invest but the plus point is. You don't have an electricity bill anymore every month and you participate in a better environment. Something that we all should do to stop the climate change.
    I'm living off the grid myself and it is a cheaper live then in the city.

4. The0NatureBoy profile image57
    The0NatureBoyposted 9 years ago

Phoenix,
    I have found becoming a nomad and forger makes one self sufficient. 

When we can carry everything we need on our backs, learn to eat berries, fruit, grains, nuts and vegetables fresh from sphere they grow, like all other life, the environment provides the foods we need.  Accepting one's own body odor eliminates the need for soap and other odor changing cosmetics.  Accepting all hair and how it grows on us eliminates barbers, beauticians and hair cosmetics.  Using bridges, vacant structures, pasteboard and/or a tent for cover and insulation from the weather until one becomes acclimated to the environment eliminate the need of a specific location to call home.  Learning to drink any water you see other animals drinking from quenches our thirst. 

Thus, the only thing we need is to live very similar to the other animals because, as Genesis 1:26-29 and the Adam story before being evicted from living in the environment (Gen. 2:4-3:24) shows, that's how all man lived prior to Adam beginning civilization. 

Simplify said get out of the "Barbarianism" of civilization and return to "the garden of god" without attachments or the mind of good and evil and we are self sufficient.

5. CreeViking profile image84
    CreeVikingposted 9 years ago

Many answers to this one... here's my two cents.

1) Get rid of debt and don't carry any. Debt=slavery and as long as you have debt you cannot be self-sufficient IMO.

2) Learn the skills your great grandfather probably took for granted. Gardening, hunting, fishing, building - never hurts to know how to do these things.

3) Leverage technology so that it is useful to you and not wasteful. Things like Solar power generators, etc are very useful to the self-sufficient as they have no recurring fees to tie you to the world so to speak and provide you with the same flow of electricity that those who prefer to pay monthly power bills get.  Solar furnaces, also a good idea.

4) Own your property outright - no mortgage payments. True property ownership is, of course, an illusion which is easily proven by not paying your property tax and watching the government take 'your' property away from you but as long as the bank also can make a claim you are not in a entirely good position.

but then this also depends on the definition of 'self-sufficient' - some assume this means you earn your own money and pay your own rent, to others it means something more, a lot more. To me it means everything and I strive everyday to come up with ways to make me less dependent on society and government and more reliant on myself.

6. Efficient Admin profile image83
    Efficient Adminposted 9 years ago

Cut the cable and try an HDTV Antenna and you can watch TV anywhere there are free channels.  Also stop using a dryer.  I am trying both right now and so far the HDTV antenna seems to be working fine.  Currently I don't have a dryer and will let everything air dry.  Clothing is not a problem but towels seem to get a bit scratchy but I can live with it.

1. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes a dryer is a energy monster. We're on solar completely which works fine but every time we've got a guest with a dryer the system goes boom. Electric water boilers too.

7. harrist profile image61
    harristposted 9 years ago

the easy way and short cut that I can think of , is by moving to low cost region , states or country! cause to be honest I can't live without electricity, internet , tv cable , decent meals and etc. for example, $10 for you guys, are nothing, but for me , that's more than enough to get decent life smile ! unless you can push productivity, and incomes to a new level! cause by doing that, your life will be more than enough! but the trick is the environment it self! cause no matter how efficient we are, if people surround us not backing up! we still loose a lot because of standard cost of life!  I could be wrong though! its just my hypothesis! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)