Have you ever had a perm?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

Have you ever had a perm?

This question is aimed at both the sexes since perms have suddenly become very fashionable for both men and women.  If you have had one/ or more, what has your  experience been like ?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 8 years ago

I have had a few of them in my life.  My mom gave my daughter a perm when she was a young girl.  All perm solutions and beauticians and those who give perms are alike.  I had one that was only supposed to make my hair wavy....it was way too wavy and I could not do anything with it.  I had another that frizzed my hair.
    The one that my mom gave my daughter ruined her straight, silky, shiny blonde hair for years.

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It would be interesting to know whether modern day products are better than the earlier perm solutions used.   My own experiences of having them were similar to those of you and yours..  Sometimes I long to have big wavy ringlets:)

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like my hair to dry natural and not use heat or curling irons or dryers on it.  Thought my hair is a bit spazzed out, not to the point that it is a big frizz ball.  My mother and sister and my hubby's one sister would like fo rme to blowdry my hair

3. sallybea profile image94

Same here Debra Allen - spazzed out!  Great description, not one we use in the UK but I do understand what it means. Love a bit of spazz andt those ringlets are wonderful on the right person.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have used a curling iron and also put my hair in soft curler, but my hair will only hold the curl for like 2 hours.  I wanted a perm just to keep my hair curlier longer. I also have that scrunchy hair gell 2 it make smy hair look oiily.

3. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Hi Sally,

I did not realize perms are fashionable once again.  In the 80s and early 90s I had cut my very long hair to right below my shoulders or a bit longer.  I decided to get a perm called "Triple Piggyback Flip"  LOL.  It was very beautiful and my hair actually have a natural wave to it when wet and if I do not blow dry it.  It was long curls flowing down my back and I received a lot of compliments. When I had that perm, I did not blow dry my hair and just scrunched it with styling gel and allowed it to dry naturally.  It turned out so beautiful.  My perms lasted about a year because I did not blow dry and style it as others did, so mine was more for a natural look of long curls.

Hi Faith Reaper
      That sounds like exactly the look I would like.  I love just being able to scrunch my hair dry and let it dry naturally but having more curls would be wonderful as long as my hair did not lose its shine.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They have wonderful all-natural products now that are good for your hair and add shine with nutrients and such.  I discovered Argan oil.  They even have shampoo, conditioner and the leave-in product once dry to add more shine.

3. sallybea profile image94

Faith Reaper, I bought some Argan oil but have been too afraid to use it in case it makes my hair greasy but it sounds like the time has come for me to try it out. Thanks for that.

4. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

argan oil is good stuff! If it's too heavy for your hair you can try looking for the lighter version of it or coconut oil - both work well. You can also heavily oil the hair 30 minutes before you wash it - conditions with no oiliness smile

5. Faith Reaper profile image84

Oh, Sally, one tiny drop of the Argan oil for your hair is all it takes.

6. sallybea profile image94

Thanks Faith Reaper - am definitely going to try it tomorrow.

7. Faith Reaper profile image84

Oh, I would add that back then, it was very expensive due to my hair being so thick and long.  It took three people to roll it. So, I was glad my perm held for over a year at a time, as I could not afford it otherwise.

8. sallybea profile image94

Nice that you have such a thick head of hair but you are right, I find that with longer hair there is sometimes not enough color in the hair dye boxes for the amount of hair one needs to color,

4. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 8 years ago

I had perms all the time until about ten years ago. I have naturally curly hair that got straighter over the years. Sometimes my hair was kinky and ugly with perms. Usually, after it loosened up, it looked pretty good. It was easy to maintain, but I like my hair better without a perm. A girl i knew had ruined hair from a perm disaster, and she never went back to perms. I do believe perm products are better than they used to be. Remember, the blue perms on gray and white hair. Those were disasters. If you take much medicine, perms might not take well. Good luck.

Audrey Selig - think I am fast going off the idea:)

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

Oh my goodness, back in the late 80's I had one of those "spiral perms"... It was cute for about five minutes, then it destroyed my hair (which was already naturally wavy so not sure why I felt I had to perm it lol)

After that I looked like a deranged poodle for several months until it grew out.  Horrible. I'd never do that to myself again. 

Have you ever considered some of the "old school" techniques - and by that I mean real old school, like tying the hair with cloth strips to curl it (you sleep on it that way) or pin curls? you can get the cute ringlets like that and not risk damaging your hair.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84

My mom would make what she called pin curls by twisting small strands of our hair and holding them with bobby pins. 

Sorry, you had a bad experience with your perm.  They may have left it on too long, which is scary as it will burn up your hair!

2. sallybea profile image94

Christin Sander
      Those rag rollers are a good idea though it it many many years since I used any type of hair roller.  I had a few bad perms in my youth and like you am pretty loathe to destroy the condition of my hair.

6. chuckandus6 profile image77
    chuckandus6posted 8 years ago

Yes and they permed my bangs too,I hated it.

Nichol marie
      Your comment brought an instant smile to my face.  Yes, I have had the permed bangs too , oh dear, big mistake, that was too awful.

7. firstcookbooklady profile image85
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

How does that one rhyme go, with changes of course. There was a little girl, she had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very, very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid. Then, she got a home perm, her curl fell off, and then, THERE went her career.

Char Milbrett
      smile I remember the first part but definitely don't remember the last line.  Did you make it up?

8. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

Yes, when I was a teen, I had a perm when my mom told me too. I regretted it for the rest of my life! I was mocked and macked fun off by classmates and friends.

9. marleyjustine profile image83
    marleyjustineposted 8 years ago

Ugh - unfortunately. Some people look amazing with perms, like my mother, which is why I was happy to get one when I was younger and she suggested it. I am not one of those people.  I looked like a poodle.

Mmmm the Poodle look is definitely not something I am looking for,  I can tell you I am fast going off the Perm idea.  Thanks for commenting.

10. profile image0
    Diana Abrahamsonposted 8 years ago

I once had a perm and it really got out of hand. I have curly hair anyway, so it really was a crazy thing to do!

I just had my hair cut but the funny thing is, I am still wishing my hair was a little curlier.  Lucky you to have curly hair.

11. erorantes profile image49
    erorantesposted 8 years ago

I had a perm 25 years ago. I love my perm. I did many things with my curly hair. I really have beautiful natural curls, but I wanted to be fashionable around my friends. My friends had smaller curls than I did.  The lady who gave me the perm was good. She gave me the best perm .

Ana Mara Orantes
      Nice to hear that your experience of having a perm was a good one.  I can tell you my own was not, which makes me wonder why I want to go through that again:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)