What qualities build trust in friendships and relationships?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

What qualities build trust in friendships and relationships?

How do you decide to trust someone?  Does your 'trust radar' work well, or have you ever been mistaken?

2. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 8 years ago

Oh, I have been mistaken.  Trust is a hard thing to have the older and more experienced I am in life.

3. ladyolove profile image60
    ladyoloveposted 8 years ago

Consistency, You see how that person may treat others, talk about others and scheme others. Just as they say if your friend is bad mouthing another friend to you, chances are they are doing the same about you to someone else. Watch what information/secrets they share with you because of they trust you have shown them they can have in you. Just because you see that they are not they friend you need, be a friend to them and show them what is expected from stable adult relationships.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Trust like respect is (earned) over time.
    Someone has to (demonstrate trustworthiness) before I trust them. Essentially I must see acts of honesty and integrity!
    I've heard of other people who do just the opposite: "I'll trust anyone until they prove me wrong." That is a conman's dream!
    My trust radar works very well because I'm not one who easily trusts others. On occasion I have made a mistake but it's fairly rare. I think I'm a good judgment of character with those whom I spend a good amount of time with.

5. Edward J. Palumbo profile image83
    Edward J. Palumboposted 8 years ago

My "radar" has been disappointed in the past; however, in my opinion, trust is generated over time and tested by consistency, demonstrated adherence to principle, and candor. If one cannot be consistent and reliable in small things, we cannot expect reliability on larger issues. A fellow I knew as a sales representative for our employer changed his opinions or background to better relate to an intended customer, and I thought that a bit odd. He was a good salesman, a revenue generator, but his integrity was as plastic as his credit cards. Another who boasted of his own integrity seemed to have difficulty remembering his marriage vows on business trips.
    We observe acquaintances or coworkers who make commitments and fail to live up to them, appointments that are easily forgotten, claims that are meaningless, and we have to wonder about the merit of their word.
    The deeds have to match the words. If a person claims to be thorough or meticulous in issues requiring attention to detail but cuts corners in key areas for his own convenience, that inconsistency is telling. Another claims to honor the confidence or trust of others but betrays that in gossip. Can you expect any more of this person?
    An individual makes a mistake or miscalculation and refuses to report or admit it...worse, implies another is responsible for it. That person is not be trusted. A person claims to be motivated by altruism and concern for others but treats the server badly in a restaurant. There is a dissonance or inconsistency here.
    These examples and others are not issues that are immediately evident; they are demonstrated over time. We are required, for our own protection, to exercise discernment. Trust is generated in small increments, in matters of increasing importance over time. We are dealing with human nature, and our world is filled with great variety. People of integrity exist, but many more are incapable of meeting the tests of time in business or in friendship. Our challenge is to observe patiently and weigh the evidences objectively.

6. techygran profile image85
    techygranposted 8 years ago

I think there are various levels of trust-- maybe the increments others refer to.  I have higher standards for those I have in my "inner circles"-- my partner, my children, my very close friends-- to continue to be morally upright, and if they slip in significant ways, to confess and ask forgiveness-- to be accountable and responsible.  These are the people I would tell about my own shortcomings to and be reasonably sure they would not turn on me. 

Friends of less significance, and family members I am not really close to, I tend to share less with.  These are people I would consider to be less interested in being in relationship with me and often people who have in some way shown themselves to have less personal integrity-- they say unkind things to or about their partners or children, they have addictions, they express themselves using racist, violent, misogynistic, homophobic, or other intolerant, hateful epitaphs.

7. Alan Grace profile image60
    Alan Graceposted 6 years ago

* Adjustment
    * Forgiveness
    * Love
    are the most effective ways to build trust. Slowly I am implementing these things in my relationships and simultanously experiencing peace and trust.  https://goo.gl/YbqcoH

8. profile image53
    kellyksposted 6 years ago

when it comes to friendships and relationships, one of the most important thing is Trust. This trust comes with a responsibility to create the relationship more healthy, meaningful and affectionate.  Not even in friendships and relationships, you need to build this trust in work as well. There are many qualities that help a lot in building trust in your relationships. First and foremost, you need to be authentic and real. Authentic people are admired and liked a lot and not trying to be above everyone else. Secondly you need to be very positive in your outlook.  It becomes very difficult to be with someone who is ranting all the time so you obviously will not be able to build trust there. Thirdly you ought to be kind and resourceful as people who are kind and helpful for others are known as the ones who inspire other people to grow. They help you make a better version of yourselves. Then you need conviction, to keep your relationships in center and maintaining these relationships is very important. There will be someone at your back during the time of your need. Compassionate people are trustworthy as if you are compassionate people will start trusting in you. If people feel safe with you, they will be confident to share their innermost things with you without fear. And the most important trait is courage – courage to take an action against the things going wrong and to stand up for what is right. With all these qualities in hand, more and more people will start trusting you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)