Can a man and a woman truly be just friends

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. tobusiness profile image80
    tobusinessposted 12 years ago

Can a man and a woman truly be just friends

I saw a video recently, where someone went out filming young men and women, asking this question. Without fail, all the girls answered yes and the boys answered no. However, when the girls were asked if their male friends would want to be intimate with them the answer was a resounding yes.

2. AnkushKohli profile image61
    AnkushKohliposted 12 years ago

In mah point of u Men and women primarily want the same thing from their Friends:  Friendship.Not all men want sex to be part of their Friendships.  But men are much likelier to envision the potential—and twice as likely to act on it.

3. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

I think it’s easier to be platonic friends with when neither person is attracted to the another.
    One of the main problems with men and women friendships are sometimes people befriend one another with a “hidden agenda”. Maybe they secretly hope given time the friendship will evolve into something more. In fact many women have been known to tell guys they want to take it slow or (start off as friends). In reality if she was (really into the guy) she would not want to risk losing him to another woman who is up front about wanting him to be her man.
    Lastly but most importantly male/female friendships tend to dissolve after one or the other falls in love with their significant other. Often times their mate is not comfortable with their friendship. I can’t think of many women who would be fine with their man going out for drinks with another woman, bowling, lunch/dinner, daily phone calls, or going to a sporting event. 
    When people of the same sex do it then it’s called (hanging out with your friend). When people of the opposite sex do it then it is seen as a “date”. Another issue is most women and men don’t want to think of their mate pouring out their heart to someone of the opposite sex especially if it has to do with their relationship or marriage. Eventually most people choose to distance themselves from their opposite sex friend when they enter into a serious relationship or marriage. You don’t hear about many “life-long” friends of the opposite sex.

4. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

one of my longest and dearest friends is male to my female,... we talked about an intimate relationship in highschool,... but it just didnt feel right,... we lost track of each other over the years here and there, finding each other again and again,... even re-visited the idea of an intimate relationship based on a 20+ year friendsip,... but it stil felt stupid,..... we hang at the bar, he stays at my place or i at his,... he's single,.. i have a boyfriend of two years,... all is cool.

it happens,..... its just rare

5. Der Meister profile image60
    Der Meisterposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think they can be.  I've seen the video and the problem with it is they were talking only about one other friend.  Just because a woman has one male friend that has feelings for her doesn't mean her other male friends feel the same way. Also, people can hook up without have feelings for each other.

6. MisterH profile image61
    MisterHposted 12 years ago

I've also seen that particular video and the thing I noticed was that all of the people interviewed were college students.  It's a maturity thing, as you get older you are more likely to be more mature about friendships and relationships and, speaking as a chap, less likely to seek the latter in all of your friendships.
    It seems to me that the girls in that video were all in agreement because women just grow up quicker.

7. A Karpinski profile image71
    A Karpinskiposted 12 years ago

I have a few guy friends that I have no sexual relationship with. Or even an implication of one. No tension or anything. So I would think it's possible, but it really depends on what type of person you are: I'm generally more comfortable around guys, so that might be a factor. Girls who are more comfortable around other girls might act differently around guys because of social constructs. Girls who hang out only with guys might be a little more flirty and not realize it. It's not to say that's always the case; but it seems to be the case often enough.
    Long answer short, I think it is possible, as long as the attitude towards it coincides.

8. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 12 years ago

yes they can become true friends if there is some sincerity in their relation.

9. amuno profile image89
    amunoposted 12 years ago

A small yes and a very big NO. In as far as the small yes, I have seen a few people who have mesmerized me with friendship that have lasted for years. I may not know if they have tried and failed to go the distance, or one of them was waiting for an opportune moment which never came. I also believe a few dedicated men in the clergy can actually hung on to friendship with women. But these are few. A dedicated man of God usually has a busy schedule, is very happily married and dedicated to his work of God.
    As for the big NO, sizable number of friendships are based on deceit, with one or both partners weighing on possibilities of eventually getting closer to the other. And of course after a prolonged friendship it gets harder to open up to love matters. Surprisingly, some partners who entered the friendship with motives of a serious relationship opt out and lose interest after some time. The magic is not there anymore. But still the curiosity remains and casual sexual unity always results.

10. syche profile image60
    sycheposted 12 years ago

no..not all...some may fall in love with each other when they were always together...

11. Christopher Dapo profile image75
    Christopher Dapoposted 12 years ago

The true answer is...

YES. Absolutely. It is very easy for members of the opposite sex to be just friends.

The reason we feel this is a tough question to answer is because, for alot of individuals, opposite sex friends are immediately considered possible mates and the individuals with this perception allow this outlook to get in the way of the possibility of true friendship.

When we are young, the opposites of our sexes are based on our upbringing and mostly don't become a factor in deciding friendships. Granted, boys like boy stuff and girls like girl stuff, and in most cases, either sex is not attracted to the other simply because of sexual expectations imposed on kids. With this imposition removed, the differences are rather mild and friendships are easier.

As kids move up in age to pre-teen, the impositions are easier to ignore and this age area opens up for quite a few opposite sex friendships.

Now, the teen years is where situations can start to become questionable. Changes in the body and attractions to the opposite sex go haywire. Many who could be friends before begin to question attractive elements and can no longer "just be friends."

This is not always the case, though, it depends on the individual and their comfortability in their sexuality as well as being able to discern themselves responsibly enough to maintain a friendship as being just a friendship.

Becoming adults, the road to maturity is broadened - on one side, a person can decide to be mature, where as on the other, maturity takes a back seat and a person decides that, now that they've reached adulthood, they can do whatever they want. Unfortunately, most don't mature for a while, if ever.

Once the obvious is confronted, a friendship can be just that. I've seen proof of interactions between friends that don't involve their sexuality past the point of he being him and she being her.

In the long run, people just need to grow up.

12. Sunita-Sharma profile image61
    Sunita-Sharmaposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think so they can be the best of friends, but may play around a little...becasue if the friendship is really strong then you tend to develop some feelings for the person..may be for a short span of time!

13. juiwei2000 profile image59
    juiwei2000posted 12 years ago

If she is god dame ugly or old enough to be your mum, then sure, why not. smile  It is kind of unfair to ugly girls, but they usually get stuck in the friend zone, even if she is a very nice girl, because guys prefer girls with both outer and inner beauty, while looking for a sexual mate.

14. leanneswackyworld profile image60
    leanneswackyworldposted 12 years ago

Yes - 15 years of me and my best friend who is a male, until FEMALE came along and was jealous of our friendship. Now on the hunt for a new male best friend now.

15. RMfreelancewriter profile image61
    RMfreelancewriterposted 12 years ago

Yes it's possible. I have many female friends.

16. susahnagrande profile image60
    susahnagrandeposted 12 years ago

Absolutely it is all a maturity and trust level. I have many guy friends who are just that guy friends. My spouse has many girls who are just friends.

17. freemarketingnow profile image58
    freemarketingnowposted 12 years ago

Yes, I think there are a lot of platonic relationships. I've had a lot of female friends that I never considered marrying when I was single. I think common interests and missions also drive people together, not just romantic chemistry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)