Why is it that Jesus mentioned only 6 of the 10 Commandments of the OT within th

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image52
    graceinusposted 8 years ago

Why is it that Jesus mentioned only 6 of the 10 Commandments of the OT within the four Gospels?

If you study the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, you will realize that Jesus never mentions all 10 commandments  during His ministry. Why?  If the 10 Commandment apply to us today wouldn't he have mentioned all 10? And with regards to following the Sabbath, He never tells us as a commandment to follow the Sabbath. The only thing He mentions regarding the Sabbath is " The Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. And He stated; " The Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath." To my knowledge "Jesus" never mentions, "Remember the Sabbath" as a commandment during His ministry.

2. profile image0
    Joshtheplumberposted 8 years ago

From the extensive research that I've done, the 4 gospels were not the only accounts. I've read that over 30 gospels were destroyed after the council of Nicea, so we may never know the answer to this question.

If you're interested in my opinions, I have a couple hubs up about this, and plan to write many more. My opinions may or may not help you, but they certainly help me.

1. profile image52
      graceinusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Joshua- Thanks for your comment. I realize there were many writtings that were not part of the bible. It may be possible Jesus did mention the other 4 remaining commandments some of the 30 gospels you mentioned, but I guess we will never know. Thanks

3. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 8 years ago

John 21:25  And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.

The absence of a topic in is nothing but an absence. Any implication beyond that is usually the result of an agenda. case and point; many of the LGBT that profess to be Christians claim that because Jesus was silent on the issue there was not an issue. Because something was not specifically recorded as coming from Jesus might be because why state the obvious. If I were a Jew in the time of Christ it would almost seem silly to tell me to keep the Sabbath holy. Some things need not be said cause they already had the teaching from the OT. Christ where needed gave a better definition of commandments. Murder at a deeper level starts with hate etc.

The rest(Sabbath) was made for man, man needs to rest. Resting without Jesus today is not resting at all. Everyday and hour of our lives needs to become a rest in Christ. He is Lord of our rest and we need to do it daily sometimes hourly or by the second depending on what is going on.

What are the other three that Christ didn't mention?

1. profile image52

Rich- Thank You- The three Jesus never mentioned are:
      1 You shall not have any other gods before me,..
      2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image- any likeness of anything.........
      3 You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain...

4. PlanksandNails profile image79
    PlanksandNailsposted 8 years ago

The Sabbath existed before the ten commandments as a principle of the Father's creation.

Here is a reference to the Sabbath as foretold by Jesus,

Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a SABBATH. - Matthew 24:20

The question is, why would Jesus say to make that prayer if they were not to keep it anymore?

Unfortunately, many believe that Sabbath means going to Church, or some other religious activity, but the timeless principle is physical rest for our well being. The fact is, if people rested more they would be a lot more healthy.

The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy; they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness. - Psalm 111:7-8

1. profile image52

PandN- Thank you. In Matthew11:28 Jesus states " Come to Me. all you who labor and are heavyladen, and I will give you rest."  10 verses later  Matthew 12:8 Jesus said: "For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath. "Our Sabbath rest is in Jesus Christ.

5. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

WWJD is a concept that comes to mind here. I think that we are given plenty enough knowledge and understanding of Jesus to, along with the Holy Spirit, come up with what He would have said. For me, my relationship with the Sabbath now comes through when I am weary. Sometimes I just get fatigued. And when I do I think of the Sabbath and rest in a way that allows communion and reflection while also rejuvenation. Don't get me wrong I still use Sunday as a day where the default position is to get in touch with God and take my mind from the "things" that need be done.
    God is great and could go at it for 6 days a week, Eric is a bit more frail and needs that Sabbath more often than that. For sure I take to heart that God made the Sabbath for me.
    Nope I do not follow the "remember the Sabbath" dictate. I live the Sabbath.

1. profile image52

Eric- Thanks for your answer. It possible Jesus  could have mentioned " Remember th Sabbath" as a commandment to inclued the other three some time within His ministry and it was never writen down within the four gospels. I may have assumed to much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)