Thinking back on your education...what would you have changed about your educati

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. ladybluewriter profile image66
    ladybluewriterposted 8 years ago

Thinking back on your education...what would you have changed about your educational experience?

Consider the things you, as a student, aided in your success or failure to complete that educational need.  This would also put in consideration any negative peer pressure or teachers that might not have given you that special attention that was needed, when you were required to attend public or private school.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Looking back I just wish I'd taken the whole thing a little more seriously and had a plan for where to go/what to do when it was over.

ladybluewriterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I might ask you.... what made you feel that you did not take it seriously.? I am a former educator, and I am looking to research what could have helped students on a whole to achieve their success.  Thanks for answering my question.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
      FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't a party animal or a screw up, but I didn't have much of an idea of what I wanted to do or where to go after college was over. I did the work but I wasn't really headed towards any kind of goal. I wish I had  figured that out beforehand..

3. DreamerMeg profile image80
    DreamerMegposted 8 years ago

My own attitude. That was the biggest part but also learning more about study skills, that is HOW to study.

Thanks for your answer, and I definitely have always thought study skills were a very needed area of education for success.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

I'm incline to agree with FatFreddysCat.
    I never really took school all that seriously especially grade school through high school. It was something we were forced to go to.
    There was a lot of social "games", bullying, and "politics" involving the various cliques. Most of the classes being taught never felt like they had any real world relevance. I've never had to use Algebra, chemistry, or a whole host of other subjects taught in school to do my job effectively.
    I also think there is an overall assumption that grade point averages are a reflection of intelligence instead of possible (lack of effort)! When people don't "care" they don't put in much effort!
    I suspect there have been many students who've taken multiple choice exams and started filling in A, B, C, D, or E without bothering to read the questions! Whether the child scores high or low you have know indication what they (know).
    To be honest with you I was never aware that we were "competing" for top G.P.A. Had I known I would have chosen not to take classes like chemistry, physics, geometry, or trigonometry. In my era they didn't give you any extra consideration for the "level of difficulty" for one's class curriculum. Someone taking a basic math course and earned an A while another took Geometry and earned a C meant the basic math student had a higher GPA.
    I could have "front loaded" my GPA with less challenging courses.
    However I believe the biggest failure with high school education is it does not spend enough time teaching students things they could use like personal investing, stock market, real estate, banking/loans for business.
    Juniors & Seniors should have local company representatives come in to talk about careers and requirements as well as have field trips to their locations and along with a tours of a major college campuses.
    The best way to inspire students is to dangle "the promise of tomorrow" in front of them often. One of the main problems with youth is immaturity.
    When we're young most of us lack the vision or mindset to think beyond NOW. Going to school just for the education alone is not a key motivator.

If you could show kids that school can lead to financial success and inspire them by having successful people come speak to their classes or tour a mansion odds are you'd have more kids taking school more seriously. They would look at as a stepping to stone to accomplishing their financial goals rather than something they (have to do). This would be especially helpful to underprivileged students whose parents may not have degrees or high paying jobs.

That was a very good response to my question. It helps me a lot in looking at the need in education.

5. CWanamaker profile image94
    CWanamakerposted 8 years ago

Looking back I wish I would have planned out my class schedules better and I wish I would have asked more questions.  My mistake was getting to my third year and see that none of the classes I needed to take were available at all because they conflicted with each other.  I ended up having to take a semester of "junk courses" to maintain a full time status while I waited to take the courses I needed the following semester.  Of course this pushed my graduation date back a semester however it did help my GPA.  If I would have asked more questions or had a better guidance councilor than perhaps things would have been different but I guess I can't complain about where Im at today.

Thank you for bringing your thoughts about education to my question.  I must ask did you get the choice of careers you really wanted? From your answer it appears that you feel you are very  successful at something in your life.

2. CWanamaker profile image94
      CWanamakerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ladyblue - YEs everything worked out as planned and am happily employed in my career choice.  The only issue was delayed graduation due to class scheduling

6. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12515682_f260.jpg

I would have changed many things.
    (1) I would have not tried a cigarette or got caught smoking in 3rd grade. (2) I would not have let my school place me into typing in 9th grade when I was immature and did not see any logic for learning typing. Thus, I would not have been kicked out of typing and suspended for hitting the teacher. (3) I would have studied one hour before I fell into a deep peaceful sleep to enable that material to churn in my grey matter all through that sleep-time building into my memory. That is, instead of cramming so much!
    (4) I would have stayed in touch with my History teacher, Doc McMurtchy before he passed on and discussed my Pilgrim and American Revolution ancestors.
    (5) I would have completed my undergraduate degree in engineering at the University of Minnesota, Duluth instead of where I ended up.
    (6) I would have completed my doctorate in Forensic Psychology near Langley instead of Educational or School Psychology in Florida.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)