What is the secret to making an A in every course through grammar school, high s

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 8 years ago

What is the secret to making an A in every course through grammar school, high school, and college?

Someone I know accomplished this feat all the way through med school. Intelligence plus  study or more complicated? Examples?

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12540897_f260.jpg

I would say paying attention and dedication. I knew more than one person like this and I myself made it to high school before I made a B but then boys started looking better than English.....

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You  have hit the nail on the head.  Concentrate on school and less on social life.  Social life and dating comes later after educational attainment.

3. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12540960_f260.jpg

I conclude for a straight "A" record it would indeed be a combination of effective study and intelligence; however, what is most interesting and apparently not well known, is the quantitified evidence that significant reading/studying improves intelligence. Reading allows one to accumulate information; since our brain learns by association, since there is more opportunity to associate with a significant fund of basic knowledge already stored,  new learning becomes easier. It is easier to associate it!
    Dedication, love of reading, able to record excellent notes, reviewing material consistently and frequently by reading and re-writing notes especially 1 hour before falling into uninterrupted sleep that lasts at minimum 6 hours. This ideal time period for study (1 hour before sleep) allows for your brain to literally review your work while you sleep. During sleep your brain is for the most part focused and constantly solidifying this information while you sleep.  I certainly believe anyone can do this; however, few have the work-ethic or apparently the knowledge to accomplish this.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if this would apply to high level math and science/lab classes.

2. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it does; when one understands "number sense" and is steeped in knowledge of mathematics-the language of science and critical thinking it all falls into place...

3. gmwilliams profile image85

Excellent point here!

4. poetryman6969 profile image51
    poetryman6969posted 8 years ago

There is a method that can certainly get you through a lot of classes in college but I did not know if it in high school so I don't know if it would work there.  Get all the exams and homework from the previous session.  Only take classes from teachers who never vary homework or tests.  Then memorization is all that is required.  It could be argued that you never learn anything via this method but I knew people in college who spent all their free time chasing down homework, quizzes and tests for up coming classes.

Another method which is again more suitable to college is to always audit courses before you take them.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

I suspect it requires a number of things such as being determined to earn all A s, having a high IQ, knowing (how) to study effectively, have a great memory, understanding what teachers want/expect, being willing to do extra credit, establishing a good rapport with teachers, having parents who are thoroughly interested in a child's progress to a point of meeting with teachers, hiring tutors, and reviewing homework assignments, last but not least the student has a competitive spirit along with a vision of their career goal. A desire to be #1 in their class.
    I knew someone in college who viewed his classmates as competitors. He took pride in having the highest test scores. I along with many others never saw schoolwork as a sort of game with other students being competitors.
    Maybe if I had that view I would have put in more effort. smile

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You may have a point here. Our friendship group in high school always was competitive and made good grades.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80

I can see that. It helps to socialize with others of the same mindset. I was never a part of any study groups or even had any study partners. I believe either could help keep a student motivated. Hanging out with successful people rubs off!

6. choneycutt profile image67
    choneycuttposted 8 years ago

It all depends upon motivation.  If you have a motivation to learn, an A will come naturally.  If you have a performance motivation (as many kids do), you will only care about looking good and achieving the bare minimum.  I say, the best way to ensure that you get an A, is to avoid procrastination at all costs.  Make the things you would like to do contingent on the completion of homework.  Also, reward yourselves when you work on or complete an assignment.  This will reinforce your good behaviors.

A common roadblock for good grades is the fact that you are not up-to-date with the material of the class.  In order to succeed in math and writing, you need to understand the basic rules of the two subjects entirely.  Instead of being intimidated by advanced material and simply giving up, we need to not be ashamed that we need a further understanding of some of the earlier material.  You cannot do algebraic equations until you learn the rules of math.  These equations may seem impossible, but if you understand your current level in a subject and put out the effort to catch up, you should get an A in time.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Yes, in order to make straight As throughout school, one must possess intellectual acumen and diligence.  Also, one must love knowledge and study.  Many students simply DON'T want to put in the effort to study.

7. sockii profile image71
    sockiiposted 8 years ago

Intelligence, study, and other factors - like how competitive the school in question is. An "A" at a lower level, less competitive school is not going to mean the same thing as an "A" at a highly competitive university where everyone in attendance was the top of their class in high school. And sometimes very gifted and intelligent people can't handle it to suddenly be in an environment where they *aren't* the smartest person in the class. (I went to a top engineering school in the U.S. and saw many of my classmates quit because they could not handle "just" being a B or C student in the midst of some of the smartest young people in the world. It didn't mean they weren't smart, they didn't study, it's just the competition was such that not everyone could be an "A" student, especially when grades were based on a curve.

I also think it's important to remember that being an A student doesn't necessarily make the person the best in their actual job or occupation, either. Being an A student in medical school doesn't give one compassion, understanding, or the gift to communicate and instill trust in one's patients. Grades in school can be meaningless once one enters the real world, far away from academia.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80

Great point! An "A" at Harvard or Yale is different than getting a "A" at University of Phoenix. Not all schools or instructors present the same level of challenges for students. An "A" student in one school may be a C student at another school.

2. sockii profile image71
      sockiiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my point (or part of it). Grades can be meaningless without context. When I attended MIT, during our freshmen year we weren't even given grades, just "Pass" or "Fail", to try to get students out of the mindset of obsessing over grades.

3. gmwilliams profile image85

Exactly, an A at a second rate school does not have the credibility than an A at a top notch school.  Excellent points have been presented here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)