How are hubs selected for HubPro?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

How are hubs selected for HubPro?

I noticed someone getting selected for hubpro even though their articles only contain one photo each that aren't sourced, no separation in text, and no polls, maps, or videos. I thought HubPro was for hubs that actually were mostly developed according to HP standards. Is Hubpro for hubs that don't meet any of the quality standards? Are there any requirements at all for HubPro? I'm a bit disappointed since I thought this was something to help hubbers who were already helping themselves.

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

My understanding was they were targeting hubs that already get a lot of traffic for improvements. The mindset being if they improve those, the reader experience scores will improve and suddenly Google will start loving HP again.

This doesn't seem to make that much sense to me, because you would think they would pick "moderate" traffic hubs and try to improve those and would work even more on removing the garbage over improving what already works.  I don't know.  I think the HubPro thing could work long term, but I think it was maybe not planned out all that well and they are kind of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.  What else can you do though when Google is so fickle?

I haven't had any chosen and I honestly don't really care.  A lot of the things that seem to get favorited here are questionable in my eyes - like the military diet thing or whatever that one was.  So much nonsense, but it's popular! 

I understand your confusion as that choice doesn't make sense to me either, unless they think the subject will get a lot of traffic, but don't want the user experience to be diminished because the hub looks like crap. That would be my take on it, but who knows?

I honestly wish they would direct more attention to gaining traffic that doesn't revolve around Google and I hope I see them do more of that in the future.  HubPro could probably help with that too, as hubs that are engaging and well designed will be more likely to be shared.

peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

None of mine picked either, but I really had hope they would at least stick to helping articles that were already at least decent in how they already are.  Maybe you're right about it being a good topic and them not wanting better experience for view

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

HubPro is focused on the highest trafficked Hubs because we want to improve the reading experience for the most readers as possible.  So far, 30% of views have been through HubPro.  At about 6,000 Hubs, that will account for around 60% of Hub views. 

The average reader is much more satisfied than they used to be with HubPages.  This should benefit all Hubbers over time.  Not only are readers more satisfied, we've found that Hubs that get HubPro see significant traffic gains over time from search and social. 

We are working on ways to bring editing benefits to more Hubbers.  We've found that copy editing can be a pretty significant at increasing traffic.  Most Hubbers can do this on their own and get a lot of benefit.

This contradicts what the person claiming it has. That user doesn't even have 10,000 total views on all their articles. Maybe, hopefully, they were lying. I love the hubpro concept, just don't like the idea of lazy writers getting it. Thanks!

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what/who is claiming what, but it's a pretty limited in the number of Hubbers that get HubPro services now.

3. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A hubber with fewer than 10,000 overall is unlikely to have any hubs chosen for HubPro since they are starting at the top views per hub and going down. Since many have individual hubs with more views that haven't been chosen, the claim seems fishy.

4. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

That's exactly the type of hub that needs editing. I think it's based strictly on the number of views the hubs get. If an embarrassing hub is getting lots of views it makes sense to fix it up so people don't get the idea that HubPages is only crap.

I think those people should be using the things that are already in place to build their articles. Something that is suppose to be so great for the hubber should be reserved for people already using what is available on here. JMO.

2. Kylyssa profile image91

It's image management. HubPages is trying to get rid of a reputation for being full of crap articles.

3. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd argue that hubs like that shouldn't pass the QAP in the first place and that editing should be reserved for those who make more of an effort.

4. Kylyssa profile image91

It's not about benefits to the authors, but about making sure the hubs that get the most views do not reflect badly on HubPages. HP also cannot afford to lose high traffic hubs, so they're stepping in to fix them instead of un-publishing them.

5. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I understand that point as well. I suspect someone with 10k views didn't get picked, but if they did, that's a bit unfair to those with hubs with much higher traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)