Architectural shingles or tin roof in considering resale value ? I added a photo

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Architectural shingles or tin roof in considering resale value ? I added a photo of my home.

We are having to think about putting a new roof on our home in the not too distant future.  Around these parts, tin roofs are popular as they are less expensive and last a long time, plus add so much character too. However, the architectural shingles are lovely in design and best quality.  We have a steep pitch roof on our home, but I have been thinking of a red brick color tin roof to match the red brick that is on our home. What colors do you suggest? I do love hearing the rain on the roof too. Can you help me decide? The classic black is always lovely too in architectural shingles.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12602909_f260.jpg

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Faith....Lovely home, girlfriend!   Do I see a large garage, barn-type building or is that simply more of your house?   For whatever my opinion is worth, if it is JUST your home roof you are replacing....& not the building I asked about, whether you choose tin or shingles, my vote would be to match the roof colors.   I know that red would be pretty......not a bright cherry red, but more of a duller red to match the bricks, but after a while, you may find it too distracting.....
    I'm sure it would be much more accurate a suggestion if we could stand in your front yard to get the whole live picture.   So, what time is the Bar-b-Que?   I'll bring pasta salad!

Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Come on down, dear Paula!  Woo, I can gobble up some pasta salad. That is our large front garage there, attached to the home, and my husband has his big separate man garage in the back to the right of our home, not shown here. True, may tire of red.

2. profile image50
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

FR: Does garage have "blk" tin roof? Is blk avail in tin?  Seek "CURB APPEAL" - consistency!"

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Oops, meant the extra big garage is in the back around the left to our home, but it is detached.  It can fit a boat. It is in the same style of our home, so we would have to match the roof on it. The front garage is attached with a really steep roof.

4. profile image50

Faith: Re: Curb Appeal.  I see a "black" roof on the bldg beside your house. Does that bldg have a tin roof? Is tin avail in black so both match enhancing "curb appeal?"

5. Faith Reaper profile image83

Our front garage's roof looks darker nut it is just the way the sun is hitting it. It is all shingles on our home. Unless you are talking about the neighbor's.  Not sure if tin comes in black.

3. profile image50
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

Yes, lovely home!  I am a real estate agent by profession!  "Curve appeal" is most important if/when you sale! 

I think you've answered your own question when you stated "I do love hearing the rain on the roof too."  The "red brick color tin roof to match the red brick that is on our home" is perfect in that it enhances "curve appeal" and satisfies "your desire" of "hearing the rain on the roof!" 

Fulfills "desire," enhances "curve appeal" and is "less expense?"  Decision made!   

You go girl!  Loving it!

Thank you, Norine, for such encouragement and insight into this decision.  A lot to think about, but I do love the character of the tin roof, and there are so many colors to choose from too. Appreciate you!

2. profile image50

Coincidentally, they're painting my house today. Bricks range fm lite (creme), to dr brwn so I went w/lite color to enhance lite brick.  Earthly colors won't tire easily!  Bldg on side has blk? Match if u can!(Curve appeal)

Good luck! Grt decision!

Oh, really, that's interesting.  I love earthly colors and they are classic and won't tire easily as you state.  Thank you again!

4. profile image50

You're welcome!  It's beautiful & will be moreso! Good luck & May God Bless You w/highest asking price if/when u sale!

5. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it not curb appeal rather than curve appeal?

6. profile image50

JC: You're right John!  Thanks!

@Bob:  We still can't deny it's beauty!  Nice Home!

4. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 8 years ago

I was going to whine about the sound of rain or hail on the tin roof, but since you like that sound, I'll echo Norine's comment, except that I'd change curve appeal to curb appeal.  You have a beautiful home, Faith...lovely farmer's porch...but I wouldn't want to mow your front lawn...looks like a pretty steep hill and I might fall and break myself.

1. profile image50

Thanks for correction Bob!  I'm going fm "spiritual" questions to "carnal" questions & I should not mix the 2!  Home better on hill water drains downhill!  I agree, lawn mowing is chore but one must pay for pleasures one way or another!

2. profile image0
      Bob Bambergposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agree about the drainage, but you don't need Mt. Faith.   A nice, gentle slope would do the trick.

3. profile image50

Bob: I guess it depends on one's desires (and youth)!  I'm with you to much for me at this point in my life (65)!

4. Faith Reaper profile image83

Yes, rain I love, but hail may be a bit loud.  Curb appeal is important. Thank you, Bob. It is actually a little slope and looks bigger because I was standing down the road. My hubby has bad knees, so ...

5. roofingrogernc profile image59
      roofingrogerncposted 8 years agoin reply to this

yea, the sound of rain and hail is really something! my brother-in-law has a tin roof and i must admit that i´d prefer not to live there.. although, technically, tin roof is in many ways better..

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

Oh I love the tin roofs and would love to have one; for the very same reasons! I do love red too but it does not go with every house that has them I have noticed. There is one near me and they have the dark wood sort cabin looking house with the red roof and oh it is so beautiful. Do you have siding or is your home wood you have to paint? If you love it I say go for it and get a roof you will always love. I am sure those last a lifetime with little if any wear. And snow slides right off and won't pile up and cave in. That can be a serious problem if a big snow storm should ever hit you. One winter there were 2 or 3 people killed near us from heavy packed snow caving in so that is worth a thought; you do get some snows don't you and well anyway who knows what the future holds! Be safe...and happy! Go for it!

Hi Jackie,Yes, we have friends who have a lovely log cabin style home with a red roof, and it looks so lovely. Our home may not look right with the red tin roof though, is what I am trying to figure out LOL. I may need to stay classic with it. Ran ou

6. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

Faith, your home is gorgeous! As for choosing a color, is there a program somewhere that allows you to test colors overlayed on a photo? You know, like you can do when considering a new hair cut.

As far as resale value, I'd consult a realtor or a roofer regarding the options you mention. Or you could try looking at comps in your area. Try Zillow.com to see what rooftops other homes in the area are sporting.

Normally, when making a decision such as this, I'd say go with what you like. However, you asked about resale value which means you need to consider what the typical home buyer would prefer. Is the pitter patter of rain on the rooftop comforting or annoying?

I just found this. Click on the link. You'll be able to upload a photo of your house and try different options to see what you like.  https://designeyeq.owenscorning.com/designtool/

Hi Sha, Thank you! I should have used an up close photo. Great suggestions! My husband had knee surgery and we have 10 brick steps to the front of the house. Just thinking about our old age LOL. If we stay, may go with the tin, but not if we move.

2. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Faith! Take another photo standing closer to your house to use as your model when checking out the link. I hope you let us know which type and color you choose!

You're welcome, Sha, and thank you for always giving great answers with facts to back up your answer as to the exact question posed. I appreciate the added advice too, and will certainly keep that in mind.  You're the best!

7. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

Just from looking at the small photo, I think a dark red tin would look lovely on it (Like a burgundy or cranberry, not a salsa or lipstick red). I don't think I would like a black roof, whether it be shingle or tin, however, I may be prejudiced because I love red and usually drive a red car. Your house is very beautiful. By the way, do you have sheep or a riding mower?

Hi MizB, That red sounds perfect. We need to borrow billybuc's goats. We don't have a riding mower. My husband just had knee surgery. It's not that large of a hill, actually, just where I stood down at the bottom makes it look larger. Thank you!

8. Dakk profile image85
    Dakkposted 8 years ago

Its a lovely home. While its hard to say anything that will be very useful to you since resale value depends on real state location and local tendencies, I can say that the sound of rain on a tin roof can be very annoying to some people, so architectural shingles are certainly the safer option.

However, its your propriety, so do whatever you feel is better for it. Nobody knows a house better than the people who live in it, anyway.

1. profile image50

GR:  Agreed!  If  considering sale, consider others, if staying, consider your desires!

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Guilherme Radaeli, Yes, that is a good point if thinking of selling in the future about the tine roof and not everyone liking it as I do. It would be safe to go with the architectural shingles for sure that being the case.

9. profile image51
    alvinbert5posted 8 years ago

if you will stay in this house after that go for RED smile

Hahah, yes, alvinbert, I believe I will do just that ...who knows what the future holds, maybe a red tin roof : )  Thank you for answering!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)