Christians: What are one or two laws you would pass in the US if you had the pow

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Levi Legion profile image60
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

Christians: What are one or two laws you would pass in the US if you had the power?

Pretty simple question. If you had the authority to pass a law by yourself, what are one or two laws you would enact? Feel free to explain why you chose what you chose. I'm trying to get insight into how American Christians (the largest religious/cultural group) view government and it's role in society. Thanks.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12606824_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Oh, this oughta be a good one. (settles in, nukes popcorn)

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You make the buttered popcorn and I bring the rotisserie chicken wings and potato salad now.  I also will bring some nice 64 oz. sweetened tea w/honey and orange slices.

2. Levi Legion profile image60
      Levi Legionposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This IS a legimate question. I'd just like to see what role their faith plays when it comes to legislation.

3. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There probably won't be any serious responses to this question. The Fundies just want "what the bible says". Never mind the fact that the bible is no longer relevant to today's society. Or to non-Christians.

3. profile image0
    Hxprofposted 8 years ago

I wouldn't be interested in passing a single law.  Leave it as it is.

Thanks for the answer.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Levi......(The only people I know named "Levi" are 100% Jewish).....but, I'll offer my thoughts.  Passing laws is part of the world of Politics.....so I'm totally confused as to why you have directed this questions to "Christians," when religion and politics are to be completely separate from one another.

No matter who tries to avoid this blatant fact or how they try to do it, it never works out well or results in anything productive or acceptable.   Christians don;t get to Pass their own personally chosen "laws" or act arbitrarily as  a judicial branch of government.

What you are asking is a moot point.  Unless you're getting into "fantasy" or sci-fi......I see no point in your question.  There surely would be no point to an answer.

Laws for all people are the business of government.......Religious laws stay in churches, Temples, mosques, etc.  As much as Christians ( & perhaps other religious sects) would love to "legislate morals"...this is not allowed. it's impossible, unnecessary and simply not legal.

The question is pretty self-explanatory. Whoever identifies as a Christian is invited to respond. What law would you like to see passed? There's no "wrong" answer. It's not as complicated as you are making it out to be.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do NOT "complicate it" Levi. I stated clear, accurate & legitimate facts.separation of church & state! Ur original question: "What Law would U pass if you had the power.".NOT what law we'd "LIKE TO SEE PASSED." ENTIRELY different question W

3. Levi Legion profile image60

Lol...my question was OBVIOUSLY speculative. We all know laws aren't passed by one person. If you object to the question, you're definitely free to stop commenting.

4. fpherj48 profile image60

Yes, Levi.  I rest my case.  You asked a MOOT question. Period. No objection here. Merely facts. You are free to ask all the insignificant questions you like.

5. Levi Legion profile image60

Thanks. I'm sorry you're unable to grasp a "What if" situation, for that's clearly the format of my Q. Your initial answer to my Q seemed unduly irritated, so no wonder the convo went down this road.

6. fpherj48 profile image60

Yes Levi, I'm well aware of how annoying I can be, but that's who I am and I don't apologize for who I am.  Who I am has served me extremely well in life.  I fully understand "What if," concepts when they are rational.
      PEACE, Paula  smile

7. Levi Legion profile image60

My question was a "make-believe" scenario and therefore beyond the need to be "rational." And hey...it's great that you are who you are. But it's only fair to let you know that pushy people don't get very far with me. Have a good day.

8. fpherj48 profile image60

LMAO ! Thank you spooky man. I LOVE to laugh. Give yourself a boost and write a hub or do something actually useful or creative. Perhaps U'll yield more than 4 visits? or not.

9. Levi Legion profile image60

Lol. Been there, done that. Actually I'm a long-time Hubber. Have written hubs and had followers. Just rejoined under a different name and for a different purpose. So, none of the things you mentioned matter to me.  smile

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 8 years ago

That whoever we vote for actually get in.  I am not into politics but from what I understand we as voters do not have the actual say of who gets into office-the electoral college makes the final decision.

Financial assistance for whoever needs it-not just for individuals who make under a certain income.  For example, somebody who has a good paying job may still run into hard times but can't get any assistance because they make too much money.  That should change where they can get the help they need, but it would be a short-term thing just to get past the hard times.  It would not be long-term like the ones who are on welfare get all the aid they can grab up.

6. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 8 years ago

Many believe that we have too many laws now.  Perhaps a law to go back to limiting government as our Founders so eloquently proposed and worked towards would be a good choice.

If a person understands Christianity they know that legislation by any human government is powerless to change a heart and mind.  The law can have some sway on thinking and behavior, and it can control people individually and/or corporately to a good extent, but the power to do what only Jesus the Christ can do to help people is an individual work. 

That said, when there is a body of Believers in a society with a government that allows its citizens to participate in shaping the laws, some of those Believers will try to work with organizations, legislators, etc. in order to help everyone (even those in other countries).  Some prime concern for instances include the obvious priority of protection of the innocent.  Also justice for victims, and another priority would be protection from government intrusion and aggression in the lives of citizens. 

The various related issues that would be addressed are always complicated because life is not black and white as those who are driven by anything other than love for God and mankind often purport.  The shades of labyrinthine factors involved in them require prudence, but keeping priorities in mind is a way to guide the work of addressing them.

An important point to remember is that, as throughout history, we see people saying and doing terrible things in the name of Christianity.  Power and greed are the motivation behind those people's vexing actions.  They either are not Believers or they are ignorant of what the New Testament says to them about how to live a worthy life.   

That they are vexing, however, is no excuse for responding in a manner that is even more vexing.  When it comes to government, Christians are called to respond according to the New Testament's guidelines of maturity and restraint of self, praying for those in power over a country, obeying laws, paying taxes, etc.

So, re your question about a Christian's role in the US today, the freedom to interact in the governmental process was established early in our country.  Believer's have the option of participation, and have a long history of doing so.  Inevitable human failures are a part of that history, all pointing us back to what the New Testament offers in Jesus.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)