If you live where Old Man Winter hits you really hard & Furious..??

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

If you live where Old Man Winter hits you really hard & Furious..??

Please share your ROUTINE to best prepare to face the season (eg, home, vehicle, and other necessities.)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12698135_f260.jpg

2. Morayma Rodriguez profile image61
    Morayma Rodriguezposted 8 years ago

When I lived in Dallas and Old Man Winter decided to hit the street full force, I tended to leave 2 - 3 hours in advance so that I could get into the city and to my classes on time. There was no way to avoid the grid lock during the season so I had to compensate with my drive time. I also had to drive slower because the road would ice up really bad and I had to double the space between myself and the car in front of me. It was really hard when I was forced to stop, facing downhill, on an overpass since there was no traction.

fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your sensible response!  You are proactive!

3. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 8 years ago

I live in rural Wyoming -- starting in October (and earlier in some years) we move extra coats, blankets, a shovel, a tow rope and a bag of clay kitty litter or sand to the car.

We always have one person who knows where we're going if we head out of town, and people who live out of town inform their contacts every time they leave the house. We expect drive times to triple. Never go anywhere without a phone (even though about half of the area roads are dead spots), never try to go anywhere fast and never leave another driver stranded.

Every evening, plug in the block heaters if you have them. In the mornings, start the car up 30-45 minutes early with the heat on full-blast to help melt the ice on the windows enough to scrape. Shovel out the driveway if needed. And suddenly I realize that I could probably write a hub on winter driving here -- suffice to say, it has a significant impact on how we do things wink.

For home, etc...yes, I think a hub will be along shortly. I started touching up the weatherization a month ago tongue.

OK!  You definitely take a wise course of action to protect and defend yourselves against Old Man Winter!  Have a great season & stay warm!!

4. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 8 years ago

Geeze, these guys are so well prepared!  We get out the snow shovels and check the snow blower and generator.  Other than that, it's come what may, after all it comes every year whether we like it or not.
    Of course we do get out the winter clothes and make sure we have enough wood for the wood stove.  It wouldn't do to have to pay a huge oil bill when we can burn wood at half the price.
    Hmm, I guess we prepare more than I thought.  I make sure my computer and TV are working 'cause I'm not going far in winter weather.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Tillie....You have just exposed a reality for New Yorkers.  We do an enormous amount to be proactive in terms of our brutal winters.  The fact is, being lifers here, we do it all automatically.  Almost without conscious thought, we go into Auto-Preparedness.  It's second nature to us---an annual ritual.  We can do it blindfolded!
    I get 4 new tires, an inspection, oil change and brake check.  Have my car washed, waxed and detailed.  Load the trunk with: bottles of water, my portable battery charger, blankets, non-perishable snacks, small shovel, bag of kitty litter and extra hats, scarves & gloves.
    I spend about $200 to $250 in groceries and other home supplies, & stock the cupboards.  I wash all windows, lock them up and hang heavier drapes.  Put out all the rubber mats and area rugs and hang winter coats, jackets, hats & scarves & store boots in the hall closet.
    Make phone calls or write emails to all friends and family members I probably won't be seeing for 3 to 4 months.....wish them warmth & Happy Holidays & tell them I'll see them when Spring breaks through!
    Make sure my cable bill is paid, I have a good supply of reading material and word puzzles, pencils, printer paper, ink cartridges, 3 flashlights, extra batteries, candles, portable radio & hot water bottle......LOL
    Last but not least I re-stock the medicine cabinet:  Aspirin, decongestant, VICKS, cough drops & throat lozenges, Emergen-C, Vitamins & herbal teas.
    There ya go....all set to hibernate in WESTERN NEW YORK!!   The best part is, it always comes to an end eventually!

1. tillsontitan profile image81
      tillsontitanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  You sure do get ready.  Of course the fact that you get seven foot of snow at one time may account for that!

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Til   around here, we refer to 7 foot as a light dusting.

6. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 8 years ago

Sorry can't resist being a smart ass, but we turn our sprinklers off and sweep the gutters.  Oh, but we are in a drought and we never turned the sprinklers on last summer.
    I highly respect people who live in areas where winter is snowy. My sister and brother near Boston lived in California long enough to be considered crazy. My sis bought a house with a pool two years ago.   Bro  ran all last winter and qualified for the Boston Marathon, but it was a rugged winter. 
    The year my sister's family moved to Rochester, NY there was hardly any snow that winter and Boston got hammered.  They moved back to Boston and Rochester went back to it's usual winter weather. She has been paying for that year ever since.

Judy......Thanks for the chuckles.  Being from California, I can't imagine you need to do much prepping for any reason during any season.  Isn't it a fact that California weather ALL THE TIME is the envy of the rest of the country?

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for taking the comment as intended.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)