Do you think marijuana should be legal? Explain your answer.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Sojourner1234 profile image66
    Sojourner1234posted 8 years ago

Do you think marijuana should be legal? Explain your answer.

Marijuana is currently a schedule 1 drug, and is illegal on the Federal level. The DEA has posted a report on their website called ‘The Dangers & Consequences of Marijuana Abuse’. After reading this report I am surprised at how little the media has relayed regarding the hazards, issues, and obvious harms this drug is currently causing. Is there an agenda that is keeping these issues under wraps? Perhaps the report inflates, or focuses too much on, only negative results of pot. The other issue is the idea of legal control, when weed has actually spread while illegal. Can it be controlled?

2. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

It's funny that people bring up the negatives when it comes to marijuana yet completely ignore that the most addictive drug on the planet (nicotine) is legal and killing thousands of people every day.  The day someone decides tobacco should be illegal is the day I don't support legalizing marijuana.  Until then... yes, legalize marijuana and tax it like cigarettes.  At least if you can control where people are buying their weed you can minimize the damage done by getting it from an unknown source and being laced with something.  It's a HUGE problem here in Canada right now (drugs being laced with fentanyl) and if it could be avoided when it comes to a "casual" drug like marijuana, I'd say that alone is worth it.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very true! Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. No medical research advocates cigarettes for medicinal purposes!

2. Sojourner1234 profile image66
      Sojourner1234posted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is the old saying, ‘two wrongs don’t make a right’. It seems that one harmful substance should not be ignored because a different one is currently legal. Tobacco being dangerous does not make pot any less dangerous.

3. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But it's significantly less dangerous than tobacco.  How then do we decide which drugs are legal?  Why did we say yes to nicotine, alcohol & caffeine but not to any others?  Risk assessment?  Well it's pretty low for marijuana.  Makes no sense.

4. Sojourner1234 profile image66

If you read the report from the DEA it should not take long to develop a risk assessment based upon research. It is a mind altering drug with real life consequences. It can cause hallucinations, increased aggression, psychosis, lung cancer, etc.

5. Aime F profile image70

I'm very familiar w/ effects of pot and most other drugs. Still in favour of legalizing it (as were my profs w/ PhDs in the field)!

I actually found the more you research weed the LESS scary it is. It gets a lot of shit for being pretty tame.

6. Sojourner1234 profile image66

If you understand the effects, yet want weed legal, what is your motivation? PhDs in what field? Knowing fully about something does not always change someone’s mind; it may take a change in perspective in addition to addition of knowledge.

7. Aime F profile image70

PhDs in psychopharmacology.

I already told you my motivation, as seen in my answer.

8. dashingscorpio profile image81

John, marijuana was legal until the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. The reason it's seen as (useful) medically today is how it helps cancer patients cope with nausea & maintain appetite. It helps those with glaucoma and bipolar. Cigarettes just kill.

9. Sojourner1234 profile image66

Aime, honestly did not catch it. Dashingscorpio, There are FDA approved drugs that do this as well. As for glaucoma The Glaucoma Research Foundation (GRF) & American Glaucoma Society (AGS) neither one support typical use of marijuana; check repor

10. dashingscorpio profile image81

The FDA oftentimes approves drugs and then disapproves them. No drug works for all. Marijuana is frowned upon because it's illegal and it's easy for people to grow their own. Alcohol, tobacco, and guns are far more dangerous and they're legal.

11. Sojourner1234 profile image66

dashingscropio, there is something to be said about a process of approval vs a populous approval; culture has simply pushed for pot despite the obvious issues, not b/c it is so great. Alcohol & tobacco may be more deadly b/c they are legal. Guns?

12. Aime F profile image70

Wait, what?  You're saying alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous just because they're legal?  Being legal/illegal doesn't change the substance.

13. Sojourner1234 profile image66

Aime, No. I am not referring to the substance. The fact that they are legal means they are more accessible, are used more, and are abused more than if they were illegal. If marijuana is legal I am sure it will exceed expectations of danger & deat

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Answering the third question is it is as seen with the paragraph’s opening line.

The second question I am open to further researching, even though I did read the recommended paper.

The first question is ‘I’ think – logic, it should be illegal with reservation. I too have feelings – social considerations.

To explain I can only summarize with one may take the acute perspective with the line between black and white. Another is the old adage "Everything is legal until you are caught". Laws, statutes, regulations, and rules are fickle. There is also a difference between punishment and discipline & judging and discernment. Sometimes discernment exercised is with the construct of laws with their statutes and regulations along with the sentencing criteria themselves. Perhaps, the construct of the laws surrounding marijuana is more at task than if legal or not.

Although this may be hazy and gray for some it does not seem terribly difficult to know for certain there will be issues and certainly consequences for legalizing marijuana. Does the haze have to do with lax laws that give way to eventual support?

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Legalizing or decriminalizing & where? The US or each state with its rights? Internationally? There are are 5? main areas of law - possess, sell, cultivate, transport & under its influence to be considered. Next, enforcement. A form is taxes.

3. Sojourner1234 profile image66

Yes, legalizing and decriminalizing. Each state, for now, but the US as a whole also. The U.S. is what I am mainly referring to, but does the drug become less harmful to someone if they are in another country? All of the above: sell, cultivate, etc.

4. tsmog profile image83

Thanks for the hub idea. I will ponder later the report keyword is ‘Abuse’. I will wonder the qualities with marijuana not in that context. I will give concern to harm with its historical meanings; individual-cultural-societal, law, medical & etc

5. Sojourner1234 profile image66

‘Abuse’ is key & it seems like typical use of pot is what the report is all about; although cookies & candy are also included. Such as a man eating some pot candy and murdering his wife, or a student biting a special cookie & jumping off

6. tsmog profile image83

You win. Have a nice day :-)

7. Sojourner1234 profile image66

tsmog, was not trying to 'win' per say. Although I did want to point out how 'abuse' was typical use. Also, it looks as though the end of my comment was cut off... it was supposed to end in 'a building', but perhaps I had too many characters......250

8. tsmog profile image83

On a friendly note. The intent of my purpose was or is the inspiration to research & write about it. Possibly a hub? To do that for me I feel is having an approach with an open mind. Dialogue offered perspective. Footnote: 1st Marijuana is Cannab

9. Sojourner1234 profile image66

tsmog, I appreciate the dialogue and the inspiration towards a potential hub. That is a good idea. I have been so lax at hub writing, but should really crunch my time for certain issues, like this one for example. Thanks! Let me know other thoughts.

4. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

Yes. I will give only one reason because I feel Aime hit the nail on the head. People like me should have access to legal marijuana for treatment of ailments such as insomnia or to replace more hazardous medications without fear of jail or losing our children.
    I do not smoke marijuana currently. However before children I used it nightly to treat chronic insomnia and to aid in weight gain. Also about 3 months after I was first diagnosed with Lupus, RA, and Fibro I took a vacation and tried some medical marijuana a friend had brought in from another state. For the 2 weeks I smoked it I was able to come off of 3 of my medications, my pain had reduced dramatically, my depression caused from the diagnosis subsided, I was able to fall asleep within minutes instead of hours, and I actually felt better than I had been. That was the best physical and emotional 2 weeks I have had in a long time. However I didn't continue because I have children and I can not risk them even for my own comfort.
    I can buy OTC drugs to treat aches and pains even though they can destroy my kidneys and liver and I can treat my sicknesses with herbs out of my garden even though the wrong combinations or too much could make me sick.  So why exactly does anyone think me having the freedom to treat my illnesses, without needing to go to a doctor, and without anyone arresting me by using marijuana is wrong? Why am I not capable of deciding what risks I want to take while using a NATURAL substance? Should we make Tylenol illegal? What about fast food or soda? Why are we entitled to tell people what risks they can or can not take with their own body's ?

Peoples, I will not belittle your ailments. However, do we use extreme cases to determine what drugs are legal? What do you think about the DEA’s research? Do you really think using pot affects only the user? This issue does truly concern everyone.

2. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not an extreme case, more than 1.5 mil of us in the USA with just lupus. The DEA has also stated it has no medical benefits which has been proven wrong, so while I have read MANY studies about it, I wouldn't waste time reading anything from DEA!

In the report they reveal that pot has been studied and safer, more effective drugs have been developed; like morphine being used instead of opium. While you may not trust the DEA, their sources in the report are likely familiar & trustworthy to

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Absolutely (pure, authentic, untainted) marijuana should be "De-criminalized."   The outrageous sums of money literally wasted on arrests, incarceration and just law enforcement in general, based on possession and/or use of an herb is pretty much the definition of insanity.
    Aside from this serious waste of tax payer money, there are several logical as well as important reasons that marijuana should be legal in all 50 states.

Certainly the medicinal benefits for so many people with numerous illnesses or injuries that are difficult to treat with other pharmaceuticals.  For every fabricated report put out by the ultra conservative media concerning all the dangers and pitfalls of pot and the totally false info that pot is a "gateway drug..."   We can find much more reliable, scientific study and reports researched and written by experts in the field of drugs, herbs & natural substances, that vehemently refute such lies and bias reports.

As for health dangers?  Don't spew out this nonsense that alcohol, nicotine and FDA APPROVED drugs which can all be KILLERS is a false defense.  BULL!   This is fact.  These three elements listed above are as lethal as anything legally available.  Can you dare deny this without appearing completely ignorant?   You cannot.  Deal with realities and there will no longer be a question as to whether marijuana should be legalized.

How much effort is made, and paid for in police, etc., in ‘clean up’ after people’s pot issues arise? What about the DEA’s report? How does other harmful elements in society make pot less harmful? If alcohol is dangerous, what about weed + alcohol?

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

John, All due respect, U asked for an opinion & explanation as to why.  I'm not prepared to have a 4 hour debate with investigation, research results & proof provided. If U prefer debate, the "forums" are preferable to Q&A.  Thanks.

Fair enough Paula. Thank you for your answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)