Do you get spooked at Halloween?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 8 years ago

Do you get spooked at Halloween?

We can all get spooked now and again, but do you get more spooked over Halloween? Does the dark seem darker and the silence seem eerie? Are all those pumpkin heads with their great big holes for eyes just a little bit scary? Perhaps you're not a fan of all those spider webs and witches hats hanging from the shop windows. How spooked are you over Halloween?

2. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 8 years ago

Not spooked, just saddened.  Grownups should be protecting children from all that is hideous and heinous, but for weeks/months prior to the night it is in their faces everywhere they go.

If we said no to exposing children to the monstrously horrific activities that pass for entertainment and only promoted that which is beautiful to all their senses might we see different behavior from them?  Would their hearts be more encouraged instead of dreadfully discouraged?  How is that we expect them to behave when their entertainments mock beauty and embrace the worse than ugly?

It's not that this date's activities are alone responsible for kids becoming more depressed, more disconnected, more addicted to various drugs, and more violent, but it is that there are dots to connect.  That grownups think it is funny to thoughtlessly scare and even terrorize children/teens at this time without giving consideration to how it helps to harden their hearts and minds is curious in face of the fact that science has proven that brain development is markedly incomplete until the early 20s. 

Others give various reasons for opposing the day, such as turning children into demanding beggars, too much candy, and more.  But it's not difficult to agree with many who are convinced that the serious issues children face today are connected to tremendously powerful exposure to all that is frighteningly repulsive and viciously violent on this date and throughout the year.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image69
      Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry I didn't realize that reflecting on life and mortality, honoring one's dead loved ones or ancestors, or contemplating the turning of the season's was so morbid or terrible...I love Halloween!

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
      Gabriel Wilsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am slightly unnerved by your answer and find myself wondering what experiences you have had as a child: scaring children is hardly the agenda for Halloween as far as I have encountered: it's been a fun time, a reflective time on historic events.

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image69
    Michaela Osieckiposted 8 years ago

Halloween doesn't spook me at all, in fact, I find it to be a very spiritual time. The seasons are shifting, the cold of winter is settling in, it's a time to think back on past events and loved ones that have gone, and a great time for introspection. Halloween and all the festivals that predated it are rooted in so much intriguing mystery and magic it's hard not to be fascinated. smile

For me, jack-o-lanterns, witches (like me!) and all things spooky make me happy. I feel much more cheerful around this time of year and it's always been that way.

I enjoyed reading your answer, very uplifting: made me smile, thank you.

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12723240_f260.jpg

NEVER, Halloween is such a DEVILISHLY FUN time of year.  What other season can one can one's DARK on?  Halloween lets us be as DARK as we like within boundaries of course.  Wooooooooooaaaaahhhh, here IT comes, IT'S coming closer.......closer........CLOSER.................

Loved this, thank you. Great perspective.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)