Are the republicans incapable of learning?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. mio cid profile image59
    mio cidposted 8 years ago

Are the republicans incapable of learning?

Once again as the elections approach the republican presidential candidates alienate  most voter groups. it looks they have learned nothing from 2008 and 2012 .

2. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

What? Donald Trump is way ahead of Hillary in most voter groups. Where are you getting your facts? I am not committed yet but your assumption is way off base. Isn't Cruz ahead of Hillary in most voter groups save a few strong Clinton and women at all costs die hards. Correct me if I am wrong but do it with some facts.
    Make no mistake the republicans will win this presidential race. People want a change and Hillary is not one. And excuse me -- but who controls Congress since 2012? Does Hillary have over 30% in any group of voters except strict party line no brainers?
    I am not decided but I have decided that this election is wide open and nobody has alienated any group of import. Check it out, women, Hispanics and Muslims do not vote in a block. They are not a "group" they are free thinkers.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Make no mistake the republicans will win this presidential race."
      I wouldn't count on that! If you look at the Electoral College map and take into account the war between the haves & have nots along with Bill Clinton's popularity in the South..

2. mio cid profile image59
      mio cidposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have to correct you since there is no poll in the present time that show trump beating hillary in the presidential election.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Percentage of likely voters in own party that support a candidate. And assuming the parties are near equally split. Perhaps it is an erroneous assumption. Polling stinks on the issue.

4. mio cid profile image59

percentage of likely voters in own party has nothing to do with general election..the head to head polls show hillary winning by double digits against trump

3. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

Incapable of learning what?  What should they have learned?  This is a most biased question!  Should they think just like you?  Sorry, but that is not how the world works.

After the defeat in 2012 the GOP declared that the party should work on broadening the base and attract voters instead of rejecting them .that doesn't require them to abandon principles but just to not alienate entire sectors of the population.

4. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

Yes, the Republicans do seem to be incapable of learning new things. They continually repeat the same old tired catch phrases and stubbornly use "FEAR" tactics to influence people.
    Abortion has been legal for decades now, yet they still refuse to let women choose how to reproduce or not reproduce. They still claim that "rape babies" are "miracles from God". How disgusting is that?
    Republicans still talk out of both sides of their mouth. They claim to support our military, yet constantly vote down any bill that will be beneficial to veterans.
    They stubbornly refuse to see Social Security as a way to safe guard OUR tax money as a social program that benefits those in NEED of those funds. Poverty, health care, and old age are just an annoying mosquito to the rich, white Republican party. They continually want to use OUR money to wage war on the (insert hatred focus of the week here).
    All the Republican want is power, money, and mental slaves to their agendas. Yep, they never learn.

The sad thing is that two or more strong political parties are good for the country and good for democracy,this I believe even though I would never vote for a republican candidate due to the current state of the party

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12798721_f260.jpg

I don't believe it has much to do with "learning" as it has to do with feeling it's unnecessary to change their ideology or party platform to attract more voters. Simply wait for the other party to mess up.
    Unless there is a major difference in party agendas there is no point in having two separate parties. One party has to offer an alternative.
    If Republicans switched from having a "pro-life" stance to "pro-choice", from deportation of illegal immigrants to amnesty with a path to citizenship, from cutting taxes on (everyone) to raising them on those earning over $250k, from independent choice of healthcare to government supplemental healthcare, from believing marriage is between a man and a woman to endorsing marriage equality, and so forth there would be no difference for voters to choose from!
    Whether one calls it being stubborn or refusing to change with the times I believe Republicans feel they'd rather lose holding onto their principles than to "sell out" in order to garner more voters.
    Unfortunately if {society} has moved further to "the left " it is unlikely Republicans will win a general election. The only exception would be if there was an economic meltdown or major homeland security issue in which a sitting Democrat president and their party were seen as being the blame by (the majority of citizens) whether they be liberal or conservative. People generally only want change during a crisis.

I think you make some valid points,but there is a difference between standing on principle and insulting  entire swaths of the electorate.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Generally speaking if someone strongly opposes anything it will be considered to be insulting to those who are affected. Nevertheless my contention was it's not a "learning issue" but rather their unwillingness to move to "the left" on ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)