What's Wrong with this Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. LiamBean profile image80
    LiamBeanposted 14 years ago

I thought EVERYONE would want to know the different hybrid types. Was I wrong?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Future-Car-Hybrid-Types

It's getting traffic, but nowhere near what I thought it would.

I know this is a bit of a conceit*, but constructive criticism would be most welcome.

* After all, you're looking to see will increase the hubscore.

1. ediggity profile image62
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The title is kind of awkward.  Future Hybrid Car Types, or Future Types of Hybrid Cars maybe? Additionally, put the word car next to every single hybrid your article to enhance search engine optimization.

LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually this is the sixteenth (16th) in a series all titled "Future Car -" and whatever I'm talking about in that genre. I have "tweeked" the article for adsense, but that's not why I wrote it.

When I started researching and realized there were so many "types" I wanted to share. That's the whole idea.

Is it just too obscure a topic?

2. Carol the Writer profile image68
      Carol the Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really do like your article.

Personally, I would put the chart Hybrid Types and Who Uses Them right before the section Five Types of "Hybrids".

And I would add a photo of a car or two near the middle of your article and say something like "most popular hybrids". There is a lot of text, and a photo or two might break it up.

I am not sure how this works, but I didn't see any Amazon or Ebay ads. Are the ads there and they don't show up internally?  If not, I would see if Amazon had a few books on hybrid cars.

Your bulleted list needs to start all capitals and it looks like you have a semicolon there instead of a colon.

"This hub will attempt to tell you what the differences are, explain the importance of each, and finally, reveal who uses what type of motive "assisted" force in their cars." seems awkward. Try something like: "This hub will show you the differences between several kinds of hybrid cars." Or something simpler anyway.

Just my opinion. I only published my first hub today and I know how valuable it is to have someone look over your writing with a different viewpoint.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Carol, I'm pretty sure Liam hasn't been able to sign up for eBay yet - I don't know about Amazon.  There's no point in showing the ads if you haven't signed up.

Perzactly! As to Amazon I'm not sure just what to promote from Amazon. It's not like they've been all that profitable anyway.

Let me clear the air here. I write hubs for my own enjoyment and to provide technical information in a more palatable form. That I occasionally make a profit is not the reason I'm here. That I can help people make sense of jargon and BS is.

2. LiamBean profile image80

It's not awkward; it's technical. I'm a techie. Sheesh. And because I'm technical "differences between several types of hybrid cars" is inaccurate. More than one car company is "fielding" a variety of hybrid types. That's accurate. Accuracy counts in my hubs.

The idea of moving the hybrid types and who uses them is a good one though. However, I typically write in a logical order. History, explanation, then who uses what. That way the reader has just about everything s/he needs in the way of knowledge by the time they get to the bottom.

I'll add some pictures of the most popular hybrids. There aren't many in this country.

Amazon does not sell cars; though they do sell books on hybrids. The hub is three days old, not even on Google yet, so for now the supplied adsense links are good enough.

Finally, because this technology is so new, and eBay has been so "stilted" about an affiliate program I doubt I'll consider them again. Of course I could always send them a form letter explaining why an attempt on my part is just not worth the time. Let THEM figure out which of the ten reasons I give them apply. Damned Jaggoffs!

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Did you do your keyword research? I assume the keyword you're going after is "car hybrid types" or "types of hybrid cars". Doesn't matter. Both keyphrases get hardly any traffic. And you have "car hybrid types" in your URL and I think your title, but nowhere in the text. Ideal is to have your primary keyword in the URL, title, in the first paragraph and somewhere towards the end.

If "hybrid cars" is the keyword you were going after, that's going to be tough. It has a high CPC, but huge competition as well. A better keyword might have been "best hybrid cars" or "what is a hybrid" car, since they have less competition.

You also have to assess the type of competition for a keyword. When I Google "hybrid cars", all of the sites listed on page 1 are PR4 to PR7. That's a tough nut to crack. I try to look for keywords that have at least one PR0 to PR2 result on page 1. At least that leaves some wiggle room for someone to get in! smile

Didn't know about the PR0 through PR2. Thanks. By the way, it's three days old, I doubt it's on Google yet.

Does it read well enough?

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely it does! Very well written! I don't know if anyone else looks at the PR in the SERP's, but if I want to get a hub on page 1, it's going to be infinitely easier and quicker if there are some sites I know I can beat! smile

I use adsense keyword search farily often and did notice the competition index. Figured it was "just one of those things", but now that I know about PR0 through PR2 I can spend a bit more time tweeking. Again thanks.

Have fun! smile I just look at it this way...if I'm going to write a hub on hotels in New York, I'm going to pick a keyword that doesn't return a whole page of huge hotel chains or New York hotel! IMHO, you'd need a whole website to beat that! Now if there was a Squidoo lens on page 1 or a Suite101 article, now that's beatable!

3. pisco profile image61
    piscoposted 14 years ago

Great tip on analysing the page rank of the main competitors, i mainly focus on just keywords, and tend to go blind just for that (enough to keep busy for a long time).

About the issue at hand, i did found the information very useful, don't really know why it doesn't rank higher in hubpages, personally i would add some youtube videos on some of the cars spoken, just to add extra visual appeal.

Thanks pisco. I'll see what I can find on UTube.

Liam, if you're looking for HP traffic, you need to spend some time on internal links. People need to be able to find your hub. Or you'd better be giving away a whole lot of free beers! smile Most of my hubs have 70+ internal links (not sure why -- I don't link my hubs at all except for using the Groups feature). Your hybrid car hub has 8. (The SEO Book toolbar has a neat utility called SEO X-ray which will tell you this.)

Now don't quote me here, but I THINK a lot has to do with tags. Click on some of your tags that you think are searched for here on HP. See what comes up and see if you're in the top couple of hubs. If not, then you're not going to be linked in a lot of those "related hub" things you see all over the place. You'll be linked from your profile and your "latest" and maybe "hot" or "best" hubs. But if the only other places you're linked to on HP are your own hubs, then you're basically screwed. I don't do a lot of internal linking to other hubs, so again -- not quite sure why I have so many darn internal links! smile

Heh! Started updating my Links to the Future Car Series and now I'm at 137 where I had eight before. I'm about halfway done.

Guys! I can't thank you enough!!!

2. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just explained why you have so many internal links!

Those related hubs and tag pages add up

4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Get yourself a firefox plug in called SEO for Firefox or Keyword Spy SEO, then when you do a google search on your selected keywords - the results page will include, PR, amount of backlinks, yahoo/google position etc.

Its a godsend for tweaking titles to rank

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)