Sold my first items from Amazon!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. pageantgirl31413 profile image77
    pageantgirl31413posted 14 years ago

I decided to check my adsense and amazon first thing this morning and I was completely shocked when I saw that someone had ordered 2 items from Amazon through my affiliate link. I'm so excited cause I didn't think anyone was going to actually buy anything. Oh and it wasn't from a product review either which is what I though it would come from.

Whoo Hoo!!!

1. Helen Cater profile image60
      Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratualtions, I gave up with Amazon for now as it appeared to disrupt my AdSense. Strange I know.

2. Laurel Oakes profile image61
    Laurel Oakesposted 14 years ago

I am jumping up and down for you it must be exciting!!!! I can't wait of course still trying to grasp the URL thing because I am so lame with understanding the computer this needs to be explained to me in the simpliest form possible. But really happy for you and can't wait till my day comes.

pageantgirl31413posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well last night I decided to upgrade my hubs in a way. Everyone talks about keywords and I didn't really understand it. So I went to the search engine and typed in the subject of one of my hubs such as 'Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe'. I searched for it on the search engine and when I found it, I clicked on cache instead of the link. That will pop up your page and show you with colors (the easiest for me to understand) the keywords. Check that out and see if that helps get more traffic.

As for the url thing with Amazon, I usually use keywords instead of finding the specific product like for my slow cooker recipe, I used 'crock pot' for my keyword on it.

3. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Congrats! Amazon is a nice bonus, once you get it going and can reach their minimum of $10/month (direct deposit in the US). I know some hubbers (like Nelle Hoxie) who make most of their income from Amazon, but you have to write only product hubs.

I rarely sell from product reviews, usually it is really random stuff. It's fun to see what people buy!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what seems to sell the best??  books? gadgets? I'm signed up but haven't placed any amazon ads yet. suggestions?

I sold a cookbook and a crock pot. Some people say electronics. I personally try to do a good mix of everything because you never know what a person is going to buy.

1. profile image0
          girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It really depends on what you write about. But, if you're really interested in adsense income, you should write hubs that compare and contrast products - hopefully all are sold on amazon wink. Laptop sales are great - you get a flat rate of $25 commission.

As for cookbooks, I sell a few of those each month and usually make .10 to .25 cents on the purchase. BUT I view it as  building up my number of items sold (there is a tier for commission...) I believe 6+ items sold and you jump from 4% commission to 6% commission for that month. So, it is sometimes worth it to sell little items, since they help increase the commission on other products in the long run.

Other than that, I sell a WIDE array of stuff. I wouldn't say there is one major seller. I sell anything from Margarita mix to fitness videos to posters(neither of which have very high commissions lol).

I find with Amazon that it's either volume of small products or you need to feature expensive products. Right now, I'm making about $35-$50 a month selling approximately 25-30 products (this month has been ridiculously slow...last month I could almost always count on a least 1 sale a day).

Yeah, I don't expect to make a lot. I want to actually make a baby product site with product reviews and all that but I have no clue really how to create one. You can build an amazon store which I've already done, I just need to find a site that's free hosting and design since my husband doesn't want me spending any money. Then I have to figuer out how to promote it.

4. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 14 years ago

I haven't sold one thing from Amazon . . . nada, nuffin' . . . I can't figure out why.

5. pageantgirl31413 profile image77

Well, I'll give away my secret...cook books and kitchen necessities. I do a lot of recipes. The items themselves weren't that expensive. The hubs with the most traffic are my recipes.

6. JSwanson profile image61
    JSwansonposted 14 years ago

A big congrats is in order.  The feeling of earning money online is one of the best I ever felt and hopefully it is for you as well.

Good luck on future sales.

7. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

Congrats pageantgirl!!  I never have used Amazon before to make money.  How do you become affilated with them?

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I'll have to keep playing around with it. I didn't like what they were showing. I think I need a break from the computer, it's lunch time. smile  thanks for the info.

continued good luck to you!

9. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Helen I'm curious when you say disrupt your adsense can you give a little more detail. I have been adding amazon to my hubs but not sure if it is just me or if I really am getting not that much traffic.

Oh and congrats on the first sale pageant.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess that she means she noticed more adsense clicks when she removed amazon capsules. I have often wondered the same.

Somebody who is leaving your page via a capsule is not leaving your page via an adsense ad....

That said, plenty of people make adsense revenue from Amazon sales pages...

10. Write at Home profile image60
    Write at Homeposted 14 years ago

Congratulations. I've just started having some Amazon affiliate income trickling in this month from a website, and I'm already shopping for books to spend it on. Might take a while for me to hit the $10 mark, though... smile

Anyway, I hope this is just the start of many more sales to come your way!

11. profile image0

I don't want to hijack this thread but ryan have you tried this? I think I may in my next hub just to see what happens.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have talked about this with people on here in the past. The general consensus is that Amazon performs better when you are trying to sell the product.

So I tend to write my hubs either for adsense or for Amazon anyway. I have very little success with Amazon, so most of my hubs now dont have Amazon capsules at all..... I reserve them for hubs where I am talking about the specific products in the capsules.

I certainly think that writing a hub for Adsense revenue should be approached in a completely different way to writing for Amazon revenue.

If you have found a keyword with a 6c cpc, which gets 5000 searches a month, and a similar keyword with a $1 cpc, which only gets 700 searches per month...... one of those is potentially excellent for adsense and one is potentially excellent for Amazon.

Thats the way I tend to look at things now. High paying keywords for adsense, high traffic keywords for Amazon.

2. pageantgirl31413 profile image77

Hijack away. I don't mind at all.

12. profile image0

Awesome info there ryan, thank you for responding and I truly understand it a bit better now.

13. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Congratulations - first of many!

14. profile image0

Oh pageant that sounds really cool. Don't know if I can say this in here but I use doteasy.com I did buy my domain name but they do have free hosting and creation. You might want to check them out.

I wouldn't consider it spam since your answering my post with it. Thanks so much! I'm going to check them out.

15. pageantgirl31413 profile image77

Just so happens that this is my highest adsense earning day. $2.00 today.

16. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

cool wtg congrats

17. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Yipee...you go girl! (seriously...no sarcasm intended whatsoever...go rack up the earnings...I believe they will grow and grow...seriously!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)