Are you able to keep an open mind when it comes to talking about religion with o

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Steven Jeffers profile image59
    Steven Jeffersposted 8 years ago

Are you able to keep an open mind when it comes to talking about religion with other people.

There are many topics talking about religious beliefs, and many of them tend to turn into a heated argument. I am a Christian, and I am strong in my faith, but I tend to keep an open mind and have a good logical conversation with people of other faiths. I want to discuss how other people go about discussing religious topics with people who have a different religious belief.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12910248_f260.jpg

2. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

Sure am. Though it generally seems to be because of open mindedness  that the (logical) debates turn into heated arguments.

Steven Jeffersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your response. You are right in that logical debates to tend to get heated, but I believe that the logical heated debates are the debates that in some cases everyone can walk away with no hard feelings toward the other person.

2. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Sure am"?That's odd.From the first I ever saw you comment about religion your take was"the Bible is a fairtale"repeated over &over throughout your discussions &you made no bones about anyone believing it being delusional. Open minded? ha ha!

3. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't think I've ever actually called the Bible a fairy tale, seeing as how it has historical references, but yes i do think it's fiction for the most part.

Where have I said everyone that believes the Bible to be delusional? Specifics please...

4. tsadjatko profile image65

'theBible rockets over into the realm of fiction...if the Bible is truth,then so is Harry Potter,Twilight,&every...fantasy...out there.I've read a#of fantasybooks over the years...the stories...the Bible contains far surpass most I've read"~link

5. Steven Jeffers profile image59

This is doing nothing but proving my point in that some people want to make a childish argument over religion and the Bible. I was hoping that people would respect each others opinion. I am not going to accept childish arguing over different views.

6. Link10103 profile image60

Seeing as how for some random reason Tsad has effectively called me a liar and is ironically lying about what I have said in a hub of mine anyone can read for themselves, I hope you aren't viewing me as part of the childish argument Steven.

7. Steven Jeffers profile image59

Link, you are fine. I have seen the comments from the other post. As I say we have different beliefs, but I respect your views. This is not what I was wanting out of this post.

8. tsadjatko profile image65

Steven,I have not posted anything that isn't true or isn't the exact words of Link.His hub page clearly shows he does not have an open mind, http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … hats-Funny read the comments too.He's the liar.

9. tsadjatko profile image65

Read my comment which sites the statements of his closed mindednessSomeone with the strength of his convictions would not need to hide behind lame excuses like your comment is illegitimate,you need my permission to comment,deleting a video link...

10. tsadjatko profile image65

hiding a video link so no one can hear it. Someone who doesn't want to hear the other side or scrutinize their own motivations would do those things, someone with a closed mind.

11. Link10103 profile image60

Hit Ctrl F on the keyboard and type in "let it be clear" to start that chain of fun comments.

Provided you actually care enough to bother Steven, though I don't think you do...

12. tsadjatko profile image65

Steven,don't listen to Link,see how he wants to control you(&anyone).It's called censorship.Like I said,read the whole thing&comments to get the whole picture&thenYOUtell me he has an"open mind when it comes to talking about religion..."?

13. Steven Jeffers profile image59

Arguing among each other is not what I am looking for. I consider myself an educated person, and we are going to disagree with other people's thoughts all the time. However, he said and she said is not a good way to bring people to accept your views.

14. tsadjatko profile image65

So Steven your position is ignore a person's record, his own words and behavior and accept anything they say as the truth...I guess you can't get anymore open minded than that! Very logical too.

15. Steven Jeffers profile image59

I do not agree with the position that Link has on religion in no way nor do I personally take it as truth. However, I do not find it necessary to argue with him over it. As a Christian we are taught to plant the seed that will lead them to the cross.

16. tsadjatko profile image65

This results in a closed mind which Link claims he doesn't have?Before you lecture me on the teachings of Christianity I'd suggest you not be naive as to buy into the tripe that people like Link peddle like he is open minded about religion.

17. tsadjatko profile image65

He not only isn't open minded but isn't logical ever as anyone who analyzes his statements can see."Logical debates turn into arguments"because of openmindedness? That doesn't even make sense,closed mindedness &ignorance of logic causes heated

18. Link10103 profile image60

What I meant by open mindedness causing heated arguments is that people, such as atheists, ask the questions that those of faith willfully ignore. On here at least, only rarely does that end with no hard feelings.

Open vs. Closed = argument. Simple.

19. tsadjatko profile image65

But link that is not true,if you do a google search for any questions an atheist may ask you will find many logical explanations from accredited Christian apologists or organizations. Simple! Again you demonstrate how close minded you are.

20. Link10103 profile image60

I dont find explanations about the validity of Christianity and the Bible to be all that persuasive when the sources tend to be Christianity and the Bible. Circular reasoning and all

Christian apologetics sometimes support horribly immoral things to

21. tsadjatko profile image65

It's obvious you don't, that is YOUR problem not Christianity's. Link you're whole problem is YOU ARE close minded&Steven that is why I brought it up when he said "sure am." Link has deluded himself into thinking only he is logical and

22. tsadjatko profile image65

people of faith are illogical. Anything he doesn't understand he labels as illogical when the truth is because he doesn't understand it he closes his mind to it, it's a fairy tale to him.He is the perfect example ofthe seed that falls upon

23. tsadjatko profile image65

the path in the parable of the sower (which I'm sure he can't understand) and because he has chosen in his lack of understanding to be decieved by the evil one he demonstrates another Christian teaching Ephesians 4:18, 'They are darkened in

24. tsadjatko profile image65

their understanding alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart."
      Steven you asked a question, I'm only trying to help you to be more discerning of how that question is answered and by whom

25. Link10103 profile image60

Didnt know closed minded people asked questions, repeatedly, of others in order to avoid blatant generalizations due to personal bias

There must be plenty of examples of me calling anything I dont get illogical no questions asked, right?

I'll wait.

26. Link10103 profile image60

And yet I can point to quite a few examples, verbatim mind you, of you insulting others who don't agree with you Tsad.

Irony in a nutshell.

27. tsadjatko profile image65

Steven as you can see it is not me who wants to engage in a he said she said thread, it's always Link because he always has to attack the messenger or condescendingly speak of Christians whenever he is shown to be wrong, it's his tactic.

28. tsadjatko profile image65

Asking questions is not a sign of openmindedness. Openmindedness is listening to and exploring the answers without a bias that the answer is based on a Fairytale. But see this is what you do, raise a straw man then try to argue for it.

29. tsadjatko profile image65

Now Steven one might ask why does Link continue to act as if Christianity has no valid answers and speaks condescendingly of Christianity and to Christians? Is he stupid? NO, he's not stupid, he understands just enough about the Bible to

30. tsadjatko profile image65

BTW an insult is not an insult if it is the truth, just another tactic of his, malign the messenger, anything to change the subject from the truth and that is his problem, the truth in his eyes, is an insult.  He understands the Bible well

31. tsadjatko profile image65

enough to know that he wants to reject its redemptive message. In my opinion this clip explains him to a tee and if so he is not an open minded person!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjBZIv4CH8o

32. Link10103 profile image60

...so no examples then?

Also Is that the link you initially tried to post on my hub? You never gave the name the 5 times I said u could and I forgot the name.

Though We've been more on topic, feel free to let us know when enough is enough Steven.

33. tsadjatko profile image65

Link you don't even know what is on your hub page comments, It's there in plain print,I gave you the name&explained it in comments&actually it is discussed 22 times after I gave it to you in your own comment section.Playing the fool again?

34. Link10103 profile image60

The actual name of the video? No you never posted it, at least not that i can immediately see. You just kept saying i deleted it to try and cover it up.

Which somehow makes sense even after i said you could name it...

35. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@Tsad, the thing with Link is that he's been told by other people what to believe about Christianity.  He won't go and play devil's advocate, and see for him self what it really is.

36. Link10103 profile image60

...or, when I started asking people questions about the morality of their faith and god that seemed obvious to me, I was either ignored or insulted.

I don't get why you think you can assert that my perspective isn't derived from my own conclusions.

37. tsadjatko profile image65

Loli,Link will talk about anything other than the fact he is not open minded,the whole point of this Q&A.If he was honest he'd simply have to admit he isn't open minded as I've demonstrated with his own words over&over,yet he says"sure am" lo

38. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Link, I am sure people have tried to give you honest answers.  You probably didn't like the answer or incorrectly perceived what they said to be an insult.  Don't be so sensitive!  Also, try not being sarcastic all the time.  Be genuine.

39. Link10103 profile image60

The people who have given honest answers are the ones i respect, regardless if I disagree with them.

I'm (geniunely) sarcastic to people who skirt around the issue at hand, deflect into insults, or attempt to justify horrendous things "because god".

40. tsadjatko profile image65

Wrong,as anyone can see by reading your comments on your hubpage"Angry atheists"you resort to those things whenever you don't want to concede you are wrong or can't refute the truth,it's obvious to anyone objectively reading your own comments.

41. Link10103 profile image60

It's pretty odd then that the only people I was sarcastic to on the hub did the exact things I just described.

Again, I don't see why you seem to think i dont know my own hub is public lol.

42. tsadjatko profile image65

You really are in another world, aren't you. However you interpret what is said is not descriptive of this reality.

3. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

It is a fair question and I think it needs to be broken down into two parts. I discuss religion with other people and I have never had a bad experience. I have friends and family that are atheists. One close one that bashes Christians. Just in general he is cantankerous and kind of rude about people of faith. In fifty years we have only had one bad argument about God. But even that was good to establish boundaries.

But online is different. There are questions that are loaded that clearly entice argument of a nasty sort: "Have you stopped being an idiot and worshiping God" type questions. What are you supposed to do? Just roll over and follow the "you don't have to respond" concept? Or do you engage and let steel sharpen steel. I tend to engage.
    Right here there are a couple of people who ask questions like that and claim they do not care but act like they laugh at questions because they are so intellectually superior. So you respond to their blatant insult to faith. And then they scoff. Thick skin is needed.
    Some say who cares? Well I do. Most people care and to them I keep an open mind and learn things.
    There is nothing better than to learn life from a different perspective for it broadens yours. And there is nothing worse to the intellect than to shut out perspectives of others for it narrows yours. But use discernment on this journey.

Eric, I really enjoy your perspective on such topics. You hold your head up high in what you believe, and you are also interested in what the other person has to say. I can tell that this is a topic that you are passionate about.

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Caring and remaining open is a tough balance. But worth the effort. Thank you for your compliment.

4. Steven Jeffers profile image59
    Steven Jeffersposted 8 years ago

I am going to give my own answer to this question, and I have to say as the answers are starting to come in I am looking forward to see what unfolds. The Bible teaches us many things, and one of them is standing up for the word of God. I do stand up for what the Bible teaches us, but knowledge of what the Word of God says does not mean I am to cut you down.
    I see so many times people making the Bible out to be some make believe story, and this I do not understand. However, if it is full of stories that are make believe then how did the Bible guide me to a life of inner peace that cannot be explained. I am a Christian, and I do read and follow the Bible, and I also know that I am doing no good sharing the Word of God by forcing it upon others or making ridiculous remarks.
    In final thoughts if I choose to get in an unnecessary argument over what the Word of God says, then I am know better than the one who started all the nonsense. God tells us to be firm in our faith, but he also teaches us acting foolish is not acceptable when telling others about the Word of God. God said himself that ignorance is not an excuse.

1. Link10103 profile image60

I think it's just as easy to say your inner peace could have been found in much the same way had you been born into Islamic/Buddhist/Hindu etc cultures. It isn't uncommon.

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Really?! Because u have been prompted to believe that an ancient book guided u to a life of inner peace, u want us to jump to the conclusion that the book HAS TO BE true? That wouldn't be open-minded at all. That would be appealing to ignorance.

3. Ericdierker profile image46

getitrite, no the ignorance would be in not understanding. If you cannot get the enlightenment then you are ignorant of it. Do not worry your ignorance of it is common.

4. Link10103 profile image60

I would say there is a fine line between ignorance and gullibility at times.

5. Ericdierker profile image46

I get your point but I think you mean between "understanding and gullibility". And there is something to be said for that.

6. Link10103 profile image60

I feel I said it right since I think Get understands perfectly well and has chosen not to be gullible about it.

If people search/try to understand God their whole lives but cannot are doing something wrong, what are u and others doing right Eric?

7. Ericdierker profile image46

I wonder. Or maybe it is not about the search but the acceptance of possibilities. Some maybe closed to the possibility of something greater than man's grasp and so may be blocked from accepting the possibility.Perhaps they have a closed mind.

8. Steven Jeffers profile image59

I believe the thought that I want people to understand is that yes I do have my own personal beliefs, but I am understanding of the beliefs of others. We are all entitled to our own beliefs, and we all have to accept that and not argue on the subject

9. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eric, While I understand that there is no enlightenment in the bible, I can certainly understand where your perception is coming from. U will find a way to find enlightenment in anything that our puppeteers have ordered you to. U should control u!

10. Ericdierker profile image46

You excite me, no more thinking for myself. I can just relax and go with the flow of my puppet masters. Well that gives me less to worry about.

5. Oztinato profile image77
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

I try to see the essential important similarities bewteen religions. The differences are usually just cultural traditions and expressions. For example God is translated as Allah or Buddha or Atma etc but it means the exact same thing.
    All religions are about love, compassion and kindness. Such things far outweigh worldly doctrines or minor differences.
    I thoroughly enjoy the cultural differences as well. Such things enhance the flavour of one's chosen religion. When seen this way one's True Inner Faith is increased not threatened.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)