What are some reasons an American might be offended by the American flag?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

What are some reasons an American might be offended by the American flag?

Is that not an insult to the millions who died fighting for freedom for this country?  Why not be proud to be an American?  I personally think that if the United States flag offends you, then you need to find a new country to live in.  Like, say, North Korea, Syria, or China.  What exactly is offensive about the flag?

2. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

The people who get offended by the American flag can be of the jealous type; those who see America as spoiled and overly material.  They can also be people who flat out hate our national policies, especially when we're involved with actions outside of our borders.  The last group are protestors - they hate the entire premise that America is free and we refuse to rise up to their demands or suppress free speech to meet their agenda.  Burning the American flag will get you on the news fairly quick, so these protesters often resort to that tactic.

3. tsadjatko profile image66
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12950456_f260.jpg

The answer you'll get most often is it offends anyone who doesn't believe in the American flag and what it stands for. For example it could offend foreign people.

Yeah, that's what I say, so what, but liberals will tell you this. Even when it comes to the American flag liberals want to make it PC. I like what Chuck Norris once said, he never backs down from a fight:

"I say we not only fly Old Glory proud and high but also remind our families, friends co-workers and neighbors exactly why we do. I agree wholeheartedly with Elliot, who concluded: “We live in America. Why shouldn’t we fly our flag proudly?” And what about those who oppose Old Glory’s posting? Take your orders from Gen. Douglas MacArthur: “I see that the old flagpole still stands. Have our troops hoist the colors to its peak, and let no enemy ever haul them down.” Then don’t hesitate for a moment to place your hand over your heart and say loudly and proudly for all to hear: “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

If you are an American and you can't proudly fly the American flag for fear of offending anyone you stand for nothing, you disgrace your country and traitorously bow down to it's enemies. Burn it, shun it, hide it and you are the enemy of America.

4. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 8 years ago

There isn't anything wrong with the flag per se. The problem is when nationalists use it as a blindfold and fail/refuse to see the terrible things that their country is doing.

We have murdered tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of innocent people over the past decade, along with plunging an entire region into chaos. We weep for years over a tragedy like the Boston Marathon bombing (as we should) while simultaneously ignoring the once a month (or so) similar event happening over there to which we are partly (to largely responsible).

Combined these are unforgivable sins. And while I won't say that the flag deserves to be burned (because it stands for far more then the moral failings of its citizens), I will say that the people wearing it as a blindfold, do deserve fire and will one day probably get it. Until then, considering that they are the ones most offended by a burning flag, I say burn away. Personally, I think a flag, in order to enact a small amount of justice, would be willing to make that sacrifice.

But then the flag has always been far better than most of the people holding it.

As for your last part, I'd say that your eagerness to purify the ideologies of your fellow citizens would make you, not them, the one who'd be more at home in North Korea.

You don't get to say what the flag is or isn't to me. That's the beauty of America. That is the needle and thread, and those who focus too much on fabric and not enough on stitches are fools.

5. Misfit Chick profile image76
    Misfit Chickposted 8 years ago

Except that it isn't just 'foreigners' who burn the American flag. Many extremists on whatever side of whatever fight they view themselves to be on (believe it or not, that includes some fringe Americans) - usually burn the flag to symbolize a protest about something about our country that they don't like. That 'something' could be a religious, political or cultural reason.

The flag is an important symbol and it has been fought for - but, it is kind of like a diamond in that they are only worth whatever value someone wants to put on it.

Being patriotic is cool. But, being so concerned about people burning the flag is diverting your attention from dealing with the question of WHY people are burning our flag - or any other country's flag. wink

1. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Who said just foreigners burn the flag?

2. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yippee! One of my stalkers has arrived. My apologies if I didn't word something quite the right way for you. I certainly didn't mean to incense anyone; or imply whatever bad thing you thought I meant by that. wink

3. tsadjatko profile image66

Stalker? Just asked an obvious question, and immediately you resort to name calling? My you must be real fun to live with. misfit is quite the appropriate name.

4. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Catherine, Unlike U, I will not criticize UR comment.I do NOT concern myself with "flag burners." nor do I CARE their reasons for doing so, they simply DISGUST me (MY opinion as U have URS) I salute our FLAG 4 our freedoms.Others do not, so be it.smile

6. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

As someone who openly admitted to putting god's law above man's law, you also might want to re think your country of residence...

As far as the question goes, I don't think it's the flag specifically that offends them if that's what you were getting at, but that it represents the government the people take issue with.

Outside of a full blown revolt, which regardless of the end result simply wouldn't be good, burning the flag as protest is probably the best the average person can accomplish. It's drastic enough to garner attention for them to bring to light their complaints of the atrocities committed by their own government.

1. fpherj48 profile image61

Link...."it represents the government the people take issue with." While I understand you, I'd like to say, by rights, WE, the people represent our Country's FLAG. The government is SUPPOSE to represent us! The bastards need to do that!

7. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

They think that all nationalism leads to violence and war, so nationalist symbols are bad - though too many liberals think Mexican flags are fine even in the US, but American flags are bad, so the hypocrisy is painful to watch.

8. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Loli.....This question caught me totally off-guard for some reason.  I think perhaps I've not ever given it a single thought or consideration that there could possibly be "Americans" who are offended by our Flag for ANY reason whatsoever.
    I'm in no frame of mind at the moment to climb upon a soap box, nor do I feel it's imperative that I do. 
    If you are an American and "offended" by our flag, I would have absolutely nothing to say to you.  I wouldn't trust myself to make any type of Politically Correct statement, because the reality is, there IS nothing Politically Correct to say to a full-fledged Imbecile without the simplest of morals, basic respect & loyalty our Flag deserves  because it represents everything America and AMERICANS stand for....sacrifice for....live & die for. 
    As the daughter of a U.S. Marine (WWII)  The widow of a Viet Nam Vet,  mother of a U.S. Marine (Operation Iraqui Freedom) & a lover of my Country~~~~~~
    If forced to acknowledge a hateful comment about our flag, by a fellow-American, three simple words would suffice:  "YOU disgust me."

1. tsadjatko profile image66

Amen to that! I'd venture to say there are hundreds of millions of AMENS to that.

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

Another comment made while not even SORT of considering WHY someone might be being so disrespectful to our flag. The reasons are more important than the cloth. If people focused on restoring respect for the flag - we might get somewhere.

3. fpherj48 profile image61

Catherine,Good Morning. I answer ONLY 4 myself on Q&A. I choose NOT 2 "sort of" consider Y 1 may disrespect our flag. (Free 2 do so)  MY reasons R beyond the cloth.I never LOST respect 4 our flag & finally, I've already gotten somewhere. Than

4. Misfit Chick profile image76

YOU may have 'gotten somewhere' - but your disrespect for other people and insensitivity to the problems that face our world to result in such an offensive act doesn't leave much room for resolving the hard stuff. Attitudes need to change.

5. fpherj48 profile image61

Let me get this right, Cath.U insist I must "respect" flag burners.U say I am insensitive 2 world problems that CAUSE these offensive acts. Is flag burning "solving the hard stuff?" LOL Let's burn suit coats of Politicians instead. THAT may work.

6. Annsalo profile image84
      Annsaloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

" Let's burn suit coats of Politicians instead. THAT may work." Now THAT is a good idea. I'm pretty darn liberal and even I don't see a point in burning the flag. Seems a bit childish. Surely there are better ways to make a point.

7. fpherj48 profile image61

Thanks Ann....That's correct. Start a few of their corrupt asses on fire....that'll get their damned attention quicker than any flag. The bastard Politicians R the ones w/ no respect 4 our FLAG or for us!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)