Are Americans Sue Happy?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

Are Americans Sue Happy?

Is it Christian to sue people?

2. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 7 years ago

I think you do not have to be a christain to file a lawsuit.
    If Christian they have rights as others do.like christain pay their taxes .are they also intitled to services taxes pay. Fireman , police, hospital , disposal of waste, and many others. If some one violates their rights to live. There right to free speech , there right to worship their God. Then that is up to the person to decide. Notice the law of two men fighting and a baby is damage or lost.
    Exodus 21:22.
    So this is a lawsuit but done under the laws of God .but basically  contracted with Isreal as his people.
    So yes people have a right to be compensated for a loss.
    But not to flem flam or create a loss to get money that would be deceit.

3. WordCrafter09 profile image65
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

Based on some of the cases mentioned in some news media, maybe some are "sue-happy".  Then again, there are times when a person may have more than enough solid and legitimate reason to sue (whether anyone else is aware of, or oblivious to, that reason or not).  Not suing under legitimate circumstances is just stupid and/or spineless.  I don't think there's any "non-Christian-like" about addressing an injustice or failure on someone's part through legal, civil, and peaceful means.

In fact, whether it's something like a violation of one's rights or someone else's carelessness and/or stupidity, maybe it's more "Christian-like" to sue and make sure some people learn a thing or two (so maybe they won't pull the same crap again) than just to go the spineless/cowardly route of "happily" accepting someone else's screw-ups, as well as paying the price for them.

You can be a person who pretty much does everything right, or at least tries to; and you can be someone who is more than able and willing and objective enough to see some things that for which you are responsible and acknowledge that.

Once I heard on some "news thing" that people who have been the victims of medical mistakes are less likely to sue when the medical facility/professional recognizes his/her fault and apologizes.  It's when they won't own up to a screw-up that people then are more likely to sue.  I don't imagine it's much different in other areas of life either.  In other words, most people who have some "issue" foisted on them through no fault of their own are willing to own up to their own mistakes and expect others to do the same.

Suing is a civilized way of aiming to get some form of justice, aiming to hold people accountable, aiming to teach any number of lessons about why you can't mistreat other people, and (ideally) making sure that all involved (and some others too, maybe) get to the facts/truth when a guilty party refuses to own up.

I see nothing "un-Christian-like" about any of that UNLESS an attorney involved tries to win at all costs without regard for truth/justice and with regard only for winning AT ALL COSTS (and that, to me, goes for all other parties involved in a case).  Some people/attorneys are happy enough to win at all costs and without regard for anyone/anything else.  That, to me, is when it becomes "un-Christian-lke:", shameful, sleazy, cowardly, weak, and even immoral.

Believing someone is "sue-happy" is likely the result of not knowing the facts of a case.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

People naturally fear things they do not understand. And litigation is very expensive. Put those two together and you get a concept that lawsuits in court are bad. Get over it.
    We have much to litigate and grow from. We have the very best Justice system the world has ever known. We have very substantial laws that govern any given situation. We have judges (that I do not always like) who have doctorates in law. They are not stupid - although I question that sometimes.
    I like a gun to settle differences. Not. I like your God to settle differences. Not. I like the best shot I have at being heard settle differences between us. Yes.
    I hire a plumber to fix my housepipes. I hire a doctor to treat my sickness. I hire a teacher to teach my child. I go to court to settle my differences and usually hire an expert to handle it for me.
    Litigation is a peaceful way to settle disputes. That is good.

5. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

The United States is almost unique for not charging the loser of a case the legal fees of the winner. Because there is essentially no cost, you get more frivolous legal cases.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Interesting half truth

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

Are American Sue Happy
    YES
    I have no idea about whether it is Christian to sue people.

But, in the past 40 years there has been a rise of frivolous lawsuits, but they have gained traction in the courts as not being demurred as such. Some go full trial and even get the plaintiffs some ridiculous judgement.

This is the result of the courts allowing the law to be diluted and expanding the elements of the cause of action to fall inside the zone of the law. But in reality they should have been kicked out of bounds.

So, the lawyers, mostly the big law firms. test the limits of the law looking for the weakness to make a frivolous lawsuit into a money maker.

Negligence and Product Liability Lawsuits have been the popular area for lawyers to show their legal imagination successfully.

The case where McDonalds was sued by a customer for "Hot Coffee" in a negligence suit. The plaintiff won the case and was awarded millions. Although it was reduced by remittitur a ruling by a judge lowering the amount of damages granted by a jury in a civil case,

The real issue is that the case stretched the elements of negligence and came to an illogical end.
    The plaintiff actually spilled the coffee by holding it between her legs in a car. She was negligent. And under comparative negligence laws she would have been 100% negligent.
    The jury fell for the, It was too Hot, and found for the plaintiff. Coffee unless it is Ice Coffee is Hot.

Now there is another lawsuit on the horizon for having too much Ice, in Ice Coffee.

So with the courts loosening the elements of the law, the greedy lawyers are taking advantage of the liberalism of the courts.
    So again
    Yes Americans are Sue Happy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)