Memorial Day is tomorrow - Why are you proud to be an American or why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 7 years ago

Memorial Day is tomorrow - Why are you proud to be an American or why not?

Politics, race, immigration, and more are all major issues today - but they all tie to the one important thing - AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP.

our youth take it for granted, to out Vets (me included) it's a sacred honor to be able to defend this nation, our politicians try to sell it and bargain with it...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13037269_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 7 years ago

I too proudly served in the Military to keep our Country free.  So did both my grandfathers, my father, and both of my sons.  I can actually remember the day the Japanese bombed Pear Harbor.

Perhaps it is because so many have not given anything to their country, but only take from their country that they don't appreciate what they have.

Perhaps we should consider a mandatory military service tour for all able bodied youth.  At least then they would feel like they have given something and might even get a sense of pride for being a part of their country.

RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing that awesome military lineage Mike - those who are willing to stand on the precipice of the ultimate sacrifice understand all too well the value of the freedom they earn for everyone.

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are actually quite a few countries that require some form of mandatory Military Service for the males.  It would sure change our country in a positive way if they had it here.

3. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 7 years ago

I was born here irregardless of where my ancestors came from. My Dad served in the army. My oldest brother served in the army as well. Fortunately, they both came home alive after their time was up. We were taught in grade school to be patriotic. I had to recite the Constitution before graduating from the 8th grade. Those are reasons why.

RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exceptional reasons - your family must be proud of their service

4. jackclee lm profile image79
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

I was not born here but I became a naturalized citizen at the age of 16. I am proud to be an American because I understand what this country have done for the world and the human race. No other country in all of history have done so much good and brought so much wealth to so many people. In some ways, I felt that my unique perspective, having grew up in a foreign country, gives me a better appreciation of what we have here. Some thing that is unique. America is not perfect and no nation is. However, all things considered, we are exceptional and we are blessed. God Bless the USA!
    Let's remember those fallen soldiers that defended us by saying a prayer for them and their family. We can never repay them for their loss and sacrifice.

1. savvydating profile image90
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that, Jack. Wonderful answer!

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13038959_f260.jpg

Pride is something best reserved for one's own accomplishments.
    The only thing I had to do to become an American was be born here.
    I'm fortunate/blessed/lucky to be an American!
    Memorial Day however is about taking time to remember all of those who (served/sacrificed their lives) to ensure America's freedoms.

6. Gorun1 profile image60
    Gorun1posted 7 years ago

My wife and I saw Bruce Springsteen in Dublin Crooke Park on Sunday night. Over 115K Irish and other nationalities. It was really great to see  all the American flags  and Bruce sing  born in the USA. It made me most proud to see other countries love the USA.  People were on buying and waving American mini flags.  It was a class night. As one of my grandfathers was in WW1 war, and a brother in law was in Vietnam,  we also have a nephew currently at West Point.  It makes me very proud to be an American.  As it's a bank holiday here in the UK I'm  just remembering what this day means to me.  Long live the USA and freedom.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)