In the United States, why IS there an UNDERLYING jealousy, even HATRED from thos

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

In the United States, why IS there an UNDERLYING jealousy, even HATRED from those in large

families towards those in small families because the latter have lives full of educational & socioeconomic opportunities while the former have lives full of socioeconomic poverty & struggle, not to mention lack of educational opportunities? 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11899390_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

I don't see hatred due to family size. I have seen class envy, but that's as often an issue when someone can only afford one child and works 60 hours while a stay at home "yummy mummy" has tow or three.

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It does exist, believe me.  No one hates small families more virulently than those from large families.  Just read the large family blogs.  Also observe friends & relatives from large families & you'll seen what I mean.  I've seen this firsth

3. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 7 years ago

I also think of how the family is raised. My mom had 12 siblings (including her) and they were always so close to each other, though a number have died since. My mom's favorite story is of childhood shenanigans with her siblings, and the same can be said of my aunts and uncles. In our family of six, we learned of sibling love by their example. We used to wear hand-me-downs and stuff, but if we didn't have much, we wished for more not compared to others, we just wanted it. Now I have a daughter, one child, and she wears 20 percent of the clothes in her closet. So maybe it's also in the way they are raised, though I also believe in birth control.

I've known children from large families who bully, even steal from children in small families. One child from a large families tore up a designer dress from an only child.  I KNOW people from large families & they're of a DIFFERENT KIND.....

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9806337_f260.jpg

People from large families oftentimes have an underlying & even an overt jealousy & hatred of those from small families.   People from large families have difficult, harsh lives.  There isn't enough money to go around in large family households.  There is very little money allotted for the rudiments, let alone anything else.  There is a consistent, constant struggle for food, clothing, & shelter.  Many times, large families have outside assistance in order to stay somewhat socioeconomically afloat.  They consume inferior quality, non-nutritious food & have poor or no medical care.  It is quite normative for some children in large families to go to bed hungry so that others can eat.  In childhood, those from large families have to work in order to acquire what normal children have. They are exposed to intellectual & cultural things because there is no money for such.  They also have to raise themselves because their parents are either very little involved or not involved in their lives.  Neglect is commonplace in the large family environment.

In contrast to the large family environment, people from small families grew up in environments where there is discretionary income.  Besides the rudiments, there are monies for cultural & intellectual activities.  People from small families have better food, clothing, & health care because there is money allocated for such.  They also have books & other educational paraphernalia in their homes.  They have assess to dancing school, travel, & other enriching activities.  They have individualized parental time & attention.  They have more educational opportunities.  They can pursue tertiary & other advanced forms of education while those from large families are lucky if they complete secondary education.

People from large families are envious of, even hate those from small families because the latter grew up in more socioeconomic comfortable surroundings & had a more psychologically conducive childhood & adolescence while the former had a hardscrabble childhood & adolescence full of struggle, scarcity, & want.  They hate those from small families because they wish that their lives were comfortable.  However, instead of taking out their misplaced hatred on their parents for putting them in this dire situation, they take out their hatred on those from small families.

1. grand old lady profile image84
      grand old ladyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Does data prove family size = jealousy? Many small families are poor, and huge families, eg. Kennedys are rich. We started with less, but grew up with more. Still, there will always be someone richer and envy isn't always due to wealth or fam. size

2. gmwilliams profile image85

In the US, people from large families HATE those from small families, even relatives because those relatives have the life & opportunities the former WISH they had. There are VERY FEW poor small families, the majority of poor are from LARGE FAMIL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)