How can anyone believe in the book of mormon since scripture warns against it?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (65 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 7 years ago

How can anyone believe in the book of mormon since scripture warns against it?

Scripture warns against believing doctrine other than than what Paul preached-- even if an "angel from heaven" brings it.   Yet thousands follow this cult in spite of scripture. With a specific admonition against-- the angel (demon) of (deceived)  joseph smith does exactly that.-- why?
    Gal 1:8-10  But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.
    NKJV

2. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

There are several reasons why Mormonism took off:
    * Americans wanted a divine mandate to take over the West
    * Americans and indeed others in North and South America liked the idea that Jesus had a message just for them, hence the many Brazilian conversions
    * The Mormons getting chased out of Missouri to Salt Lake City fit their narrative of the Lost Tribe, and landing in Salt Lake City in time to be ready to get rich off the 49s was seen as divine providence - reinforcing a cult that would otherwise have faded.
    * Polygamy and a high birth rate helped them expand in numbers fast enough to move from cult to religion.

celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

they are as are all religions, a cult,     Christianity is not a religion it is a special , personal relationship with our Lord.

2. Rodric29 profile image79
      Rodric29posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is in part untrue. The untrue part is the deceptive manner that the explanations are given. I agree with them, but the context is off. It is a dishonest representation of the faith coming from a biased perspective.

3. Rich kelley profile image59
      Rich kelleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tamara
      I enjoy reading your comments, they usually say things I didn't know and provide a look from a different angle at the same thing.

4. instphil profile image61
      instphilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very nice post my friend,, I total agree with you about this

3. Rodric29 profile image79
    Rodric29posted 7 years ago

Mormons do not teach a different doctrine from what Jesus Himself taught. The LDS Christians teach that Jesus Christ is the Lord and that He suffered for our sins so that if we repent, we will gain salvation. That is the doctrine.

What Mormons teach that is different than other groups is that Jesus's influence was not just in a small wilderness in Judah. Mormons teach that Jesus is truly fantastic because He visited lost tribes and taught them His gospel the same as at Jerusalem after His resurrection. How is teaching that Jesus taught His gospel to other people and showed His resurrected body to others teaching a different gospel? I could see if the Mormons said that Jesus taught the other people that they did not need to go through Him for salvation, but they could just live good lives, and all would be well. That would be a different doctrine. No, Jesus reinforced the teachings He shared in His mortal form. 

No other doctrine the Mormons teach contradicts Jesus suffering from our sins, being crucified and rise on the third day. That is the doctrine that should not be taught more of less.

The reason why Paul said that in the first place was to stem the apostasy of early Christians from the church. He wanted to let them know that Jesus had not returned for His second coming as others would report or that they. We have all those letters we call the New Testament because the leaders of the church were trying to keep the members in check. The job of an apostle is to testify of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and to promote faith among the churches.

1. profile image59
      KingdomComeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Rodric- You're a liar. The book of Mormons is a LIE? Joseph smith is a Liar and false prophet?

2. Rich kelley profile image59

The Father and the Son are men with bodies of flesh and bone (Doctrine & Covenants 132:20; Articles of Faith, p 38, If This is Mormon teaching we believe in a different God.

3. profile image59

Rodric- you are a liar. The mormons use a number of books outside the Bible where they draw their doctrine. The Book of Mormons is one and the book called Doctrine and Covenants is second, out of many they base their falsehoods dictrine.

4. celafoe profile image54

fod- sorry to burst your bubble but you are deceived just as j smith was.   your god goes not pass the scripture test.   we are SPECIFICALLY WARNED BY PAUL  NOT TO BELIEVE A LYING ANGEL (demon) even if he claimed to be from heaven, the moron fits it

5. Rodric29 profile image79

This should be a forum rather than a question and answer things. We are not going to agree. I do not believe that the Bible is the only word of God and never have and never will. It makes no sense that God is contained in a man made book.

6. Rich kelley profile image59

Yet you believe what is written in the man made books of your religion. How ironic. You are correct until you decide to change your mind we are not going to agree on anything, starting with who the one God is, let alone his Son.

7. celafoe profile image54

rod-- you are correct you. you are willfully deceived and until you have a desire for truth there in no  need for further discourse with you, as it is a waste of time to try to bring truth to one who is purposefully blind

8. Rodric29 profile image79

I never asked for you or anyone else to bring me truth I already have it. I only wanted to share our belief in Jesus Christ. You say I believe in a different Jesus than you do. Don't you see that is a tool of evil to divide us?

9. celafoe profile image54

rod, no , It is mandated by the REAL JESUS AND THE REAL SCRIPTURES. A real follower of Christ understands the there are many christs  but only One is the son of God and we follow Him.   there is No other way to be reconciled to God

10. Rich kelley profile image59

"Peace. I cannot discuss anything if my post are deleted."
      You did ask to hear the truth. Sometimes communications is more listening, especially when you are trying to set the choir straight. We have met many Christ's in our days and know the diff.

11. Rodric29 profile image79

Let's go with that premise of different Jesus types. What is your reason for thinking my Jesus is the wrong one? Mine happens to be more powerful than the one you limit to the Bible only. Is He lord of the universe or just one region of Earth?

12. Rich kelley profile image59

(("What is your reason for thinking my Jesus is the wrong one?"))
      Your question are answered by your statement.
      (("I do not believe that the Bible is the only word of God"))
      Your Jesus is not the son of God, but a creation of Mr. Smith.

13. Rodric29 profile image79

Guess what; there was no Bible during Jesus's time. So does that make all the Christians of that Era worship a false Jesus?

14. celafoe profile image54

rid-- that is your most ridiculous  post of all;    you clearly do not know who the REAL JESUS is;    the Son of the real God did not need a book,
      he is the script for it.  again I say, not I but scripture declares YOU ARE DECEIVED

15. Rodric29 profile image79

I am sure it is you that's saying I am deceived. Scripture can back up any position if it is misapplied. I am confident that you and the others have not authority to interpret scripture for God as prophets thought you do so here.

16. celafoe profile image54

rod- how many signs in Mt 16:17 has YOUR jesus allow you to do?

17. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Here is an interesting clip about Mormon doctrine. Sounds like a story from Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3BqLZ8UoZk

18. Rich kelley profile image59

((I am sure)) ((I am confident ))
      I am confidently sure that you have no Idea who the God of Israel is or His son. The tales of darkness come in many forms, yours is Mr. Smith He allowed himself to be deceived when scripture warned otherwise.

19. Rodric29 profile image79

Rich, what makes you so sure? Is it because you came to a logical conclusion? Did you reason these things together best on your best research? I assume you spliced some scriptures together to suit your fancy.

20. Rich kelley profile image59

You assume much. What you do know about me is that I don't believe in your Jesus, and I don't believe in your God. I will not accept Mr. Smiths beliefs as they contradict scripture. It is all about Christ, but not your Christ.

21. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A man commanded by scripture that he does not and cannot fully understand is not walking on water but doubting belief and sinking half way to Jesus.A man that pounds the stones of writers does not know himself and is led astray.

22. celafoe profile image54

ERIC-  You make no sense rt all, what is your non scriptural rambling supposed to mean?  you make less sense every day

23. Rich kelley profile image59

Eric
      Boats are built by man, holes in man’s teachings cause death. Christ asks us all to leave the boat. His teachings allow us to reach land. Some swim some walk depending on their understanding of scripture. Other books cause drowning.

24. Ericdierker profile image45

Rich always good to read you. Am I so blind that I see "anti" religion actually worse than religion itself -- which we understand to have major issues? Isn't community better than no community. At least even conformity is better than no attention.

25. Rich kelley profile image59

Eric
      When I see people trying to swim to shore I’m not always concerned about the stroke they are using as I am their swimming in the wrong direction. Once we agree to the direction of the shore we can talk about coaching stroke types.

26. Ericdierker profile image45

Rich, I am sure you know the ocean. Sometimes in distress we swim with the current, sometimes against and sometimes just avoid the undercurrent riptide. Same with religion. One thought is not appropriate for each heart.

27. celafoe profile image54

sorry eric but your analogy no good- 
      the ocean is EVER changing       GOD never changes

28. Rodric29 profile image79

Okay, don't include me as a believer of your doctrines. We still believe the same things about our Jesuses. I believe my Jesus is the Savior or the world and you believe your Jesus is. Let's meet there. We believe God sent His son, common ground.

29. Rich kelley profile image59

Eric, We swim with the current because it requires no work, against the current because destination is important despite the work. I'll stop short of a dogmatic thought wouldn't want to upset the many because of the one God.

30. celafoe profile image54

rob- we have NO common ground.  that you could even say such things shows your complete lack of understanding and desire for truth.  YOU ARE DECEIVED and trying to deceive others.  i rebuke you in the name of Jesus the Son of GOD and stand against u

31. Rich kelley profile image59

The differences in your Jesus vs the Jesus of scripture is enough to say no we don't believe in the same Jesus. Again choices by all but don't tell me they are the same, please I can read the difference in black and white. Your God is different.

32. Rodric29 profile image79

You guys do not really believe the scriptures or you would recognize the truth when you see it. The truth is you are deceived by your own pride. You claim Jesus, but deny His power and His revelations. I sorrow for your souls.

33. Rich kelley profile image59

(((You guys do not really believe the scriptures or you would recognize the truth when you see it.)))
      This from a person that uses three other books 1) the Book of Mormon, 2) the Book of Doctrine and 3) Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.

4. Rich kelley profile image59
    Rich kelleyposted 7 years ago

Rodric
    What I see going on between this question and other conversations is that you are doing what all religions in the world are doing right now, you are looking for what might be in common so as to have conversation and get along. The Mormon religion is like many of the other religions out there in that they are also now on the Christianity band wagon. Today everyone is a Christian because they believe in Jesus. The problem is their belief is in a different Jesus. You cannot say all the correct buzz words about Jesus and presto change O you are a disciple of Christ.  Like you have been told else where you don’t get to decide what is acceptable to God and what is not. A brief look at your professed religion tells me we don’t even worship the same God, let alone believe in the same Son.
    God used to be a man on another planet (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).
    "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as mans . . . " (D&C 130:22).
    There are many gods (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163).
    There is a mother god (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443).
    God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children (Mormon Doctrine, p. 516).
    I believe and worship the one God of Israel. So you know, I do not worship the many Gods of the trinity doctrine. There is One God and He is Spirit not flesh and blood and many. God is not a mother. I say these things because of the scripture that I believe in. I do not believe what is written in your other LDS books because they go against what has already been written.

1. profile image59

Rich- thank you for listing these. Rodric will never believe that these are all lies of the Mormon church. Just like Mormons believe Jesus Christ and satan are brothers. How sickening can a mormon get.

2. Rich kelley profile image59

I don't believe you can talk Christ with anyone unless they know who the one God is. To debate Christ with any religion/cult is fruitless when the goal is to worship and serve God. If they serve another god they will be serving another Christ as well

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Rich you just intrigue me so. This Idea of a "one" God. I get the concept but it just does not ring true. If we assume that God is a personal relationship. Then each relationship is different - or not personal. "one" is dogma?

4. Rich kelley profile image59

I don’t assume “God” is a personal relationship.  Every relationship doesn’t justify a different God. God doesn’t Change we do, so yes there is dogma, or why change? My god is ok your god is ok  belongs in man's Psy 101 classes.

5. celafoe profile image54

eric- too bad the scriptures will not bend to meet your desires, but then God NEVER changes but you do, all over the place with your false understanding of scripture. you are being  used by satan to agree with others that are also rebellious to God.

6. Rodric29 profile image79

Yes, I believe some of the things you mentioned here, I have said it many other places and will say it here. I do NOT base my faith on the Bible or other scriptures at all. I base my faith on my experiences with God through prayer.

7. celafoe profile image54

rod-- now you have finally explained the source of your false understanding  and deceit.   your direct connection to your god- satan.   scripture is truth and anything that is in direct opposition to it is from satan , the liar from the beginning

8. Rich kelley profile image59

Rodric
      I do believe the bible and that it teaches about God and His son. Those teachings as you know conflict with that which Mormons believe because of the teachings of Mr. Smith. Your belief has no commonality with mine. You made a different Jesus.

9. Rodric29 profile image79

That is not different that what LDS believe. Why would you intentionally lie about that? I have been called a liar by you people, but it appears I am the only one willing to be truthful. Joseph Smith taught those things that you claim we don't teach.

10. Rich kelley profile image59

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as mans . . . " (D&C 130:22).
      The scripture does not teach this, this is part of your beliefs that do not come from scripture. If you don't understand the one God, no need to discuss His Son.

11. profile image59

Rodric.- It seems to me that your god goes by the name of Joseph Smith.

12. Rich kelley profile image59

(("Just because I agree w/something does not make it correct, just because I like something doesn't mean it is from God")) Rodic
      Sometimes the answers we are looking for have come out of our own mouth we just didn't hear it because we were talking.

13. Ericdierker profile image45

This must be a funny/riddle joke. I do not know about deaf people but I have always heard my voice while talking. Sometimes begging a retraction.

14. Rich kelley profile image59

((I have always heard my voice)) It sounds nothing like what you think it does. If I recorded your voice and placed it among several others it would be hard for you to  recognize your voice.

15. Rodric29 profile image79

I figure we could pool our moral resources to stand together on certain subjects, but it would harm your reputations to agree with me I see. So I am out. I don't have time to argue or fight right now. Maybe later.

16. Rich kelley profile image59

((moral resources to stand together on certain subjects)) I have no problems with that statement, I have no doubt that you seem to be a nice guy with many views and experiences in life., but the topic was Mormonism, and on that I disagree.

17. Ericdierker profile image45

Is it a curse or is it a blessing that we figure differently. I remember getting into a fight, including rocks to the skull, with a Mormon Navajo. I do not remember his name. We fought because we believed differently. I woke up in the ER room.

18. celafoe profile image54

eric-  scripture says the wrong one-- mormon in this case-- is cursed, you curse themself if you are wrong about Jesus, He. the Son of God is THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER.  not an angel ( of God or satan)  the REAL
      Jesus, the  Messiah

19. Ericdierker profile image45

How are there so many opinions and thoughts claiming to be true and demanding that the other is false? Does Joe or Larry or Maggie or Phoebe win? Was the debate the other night about one being correct and the other wrong? God must be laughing.

20. Rich kelley profile image59

Eric
      Debate is about right and wrong, some go great lengths to win the discussion/battle/debate.  I look at it this way, we all have choices to make and there are plenty. Wrong choices can have results we don't want.

5. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

Chalie you hate -- delete me please. You hate man.

no eric-  I hate everything that is contrary to God's word. not people but FALSE DOCTRINES OF MEN.   I stand against you because you spread them.    I dont hate you I try to cause you to see truth which you reject because it doesnt fit your agenda

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years ago

Charlie, you misinterpret the bible, Galatians 1:8 -10, speaks of the Gospel of Christ.  No where in my King James Bible does it mention Mormon Scripture, not even in the Concordance.
    I suggest you read Deuteronomy 4:2. 
    The Book of Mormon is the Mormon Bible of the LDS Church.
    And Christianity is a belief in Christ and to me that is personal.

ses-  doyou  not know your mormon history.   it was made up by j smith and his personal demon  angel moron. you have a different christ. and a  doctrine of moron.see the real scriptures   Gal 1:6 sasy if anyone even an angel from heaven, lying demon

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)