Why is unemployment rates higher among minorities than Caucasians?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Chernikal profile image72
    Chernikalposted 6 years ago

Why is unemployment rates higher among minorities than Caucasians?

2. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 6 years ago

A lack of access to equal education and higher education is one reason. Other reasons are a reason lack of mentors, networks, and other connections that many with these things take for granted.

Minorities are much more likely to come from poorer families and thus be poorer than their white counterparts so, even small expected or unexpected expenses or events they don't have funds for can lead to unemployment and other devastating consequences for them.

These things include but aren't limited to, a lack of a babysitter, a lack of a caretaker for a loved one, an accident, illness, a towed car, lack of funds to maintain transportation, etc. These are just a few of the reasons I got acquainted with when working at a charity that helps people in need.

Chernikalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I absolutely agree with this statement.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

Your question leaves a lot to be interpreted by someone who might wish to answer it, Chernika.  I say this because I don't know where you are in this big world of ours, so don't really know if you live in the USA, Canada, the UK, or somewhere where English is not the native language.

If it were an English main language country, I'd say that it is likely to be a 'cultural' thing.   People tend to identify more closely with people like themselves and this probably goes for employers as well.   As I expect many of those who 'hire' or 'recruit' are Caucasians in those English-speaking nations, they favour people who are 'like' them.   It's simply a human condition, choosing those similar to themselves.

Not a very good answer, I realize, Chernika, but I think you'll get my drift.

Chernikalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I live in Texas in the USA. You are absolutely correct. Many people wont admit this but it is the truth.

4. Chernikal profile image72
    Chernikalposted 6 years ago

Very well said. I believe that many low income neighborhoods are not offered the same educational or employment opportunities than of a higher income neighborhood. Even the education in our schools are different, depending on the location of the school.

5. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13547604_f260.jpg

There could be a variety of reasons for this starting with what may or may not be emphasized in a child's home by his or her parents.
    That's usually the primary difference when you look at two kids growing up the same neighborhood and attending the same school where one of them succeeds in life and the other fails. Bringing home bad grades or dropping out of school weren't an option for me.
    For the seventh consecutive year, Urban Prep Charter Academy every senior at the predominantly black, all-boys charter school in Chicago has been accepted to a four-year college or university. The school’s motto is “We Believe”.
    Clearly these students parents made education a priority in their households.
    Another factor which also is based upon "individuals" and not their race is drive, ambition, and motivation to succeed. It all starts off with the belief that it is (possible) to make it.
    If a person is surrounded by failure they tend to expect failure for themselves. Mentors and exposure to life outside of one's own surroundings can give hope to what is possible.
    I believe the mistake a lot of minorities and those of any disadvantaged group makes is spending too much time trying to figure out (why they're not making it) instead of attempting to find out (why or how those who do make it did so).
    Ursula M. Burns (a black woman)  was the CEO of Xerox from 2009 to 2016.
    Rosalind Brewer  (another black woman) was CEO and President of Sam's Club
    Kenneth Irvine Chenault (a black man) is the CEO of American Express
    Kenneth C. Frazier (also a black man) is CEO of the pharmaceutical company Merck & Co.
    Robert F. Smith is the founder & CEO  of Vista Equity Partners and {multi-billionaire}. According to Forbes Magazine Robert Smith is the 268th richest person in the U.S.
    It would not surprise me if many minority students didn't know any of the above or never read Black Enterprise Magazine.
    The best way to succeed is to find someone who has done what you want to and model their behavior or follow their path. If two people use the same recipe they should get similar results.
    The (individual) has to make a decision to succeed and then commit to doing so. Avoid buying into any (group) mindset.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 6 years agoin reply to this

An excellent comment and filled with sound advice.

2. Susan Sears profile image89
      Susan Searsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is a very good answer-I feel family has a lot to do with success. When my children were young I read them the autobiography of Ben Carson - although some will look at his political days with distaste - he made history in the medical realm. 
      He

6. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 6 years ago

It comes down to how the mind is used. Also the skills that a person has to offer. Understanding people is also a factor. A person has to be able to influence people in order to succeed. The powers of the mind or thoughts are beyond race. Most people do not understand their own mind power and what it can do. Another factor is isolation. Many poor people are living among other poor people, in most cases they only know their own culture. One has to get along well with people of many cultures. If a person lives in America they will see more Caucasians owning businesses. For one, they have been in America longer for more generations and two, they have a strong drive for freedom and unlimited income. If a minority seeks employment, chances are they will work for them. That means they have to get along with them. Same as if one lived in Japan, they would have to get along with Japanese people if they want to work. Ultimately it depends on how they use their own mind power and how they deal with people.

7. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 6 years ago

Higher rates of broken homes. When parents aren't married, the odds that the father leaves are far higher (70% of parents married before birth of a child are together at age 18 vs 80% of just living together parents splitting by age 10).
    When the father isn't in the home, the child is three to four times more likely to get Fs, be held back, drop out of school, use drugs, join a gang, become homeless and mentally ill.
    Black illegitimacy rates are 3x that of whites. But you cannot blame racism for 80% of black kids being born out of wedlock today when the rate was 25% in the 1960s. That incredible spike in illegitimacy is due to black leaders signing everyone they could up for welfare as reparations, and its corrosive effect on the black family by rewarding them for distancing men from their children and not committing to them in marriage.
    When the children aren't educated and end up with a criminal record early at several times the rate of whites, yes, the unemployment rate is higher because a larger percentage of the population isn't able to qualify for a job. And those who can find jobs are almost shut out of higher paying employment because of poor educations and criminal records. But that isn't racism, because poor whites with similar backgrounds have the same problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)