e-cigs pulled from amazon?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

So I was looking over my electronic cigarette hubs today and all the amazon links for e-cigs were gone.  So I went to amazon to look for some others and guess what?

No electronic cigarettes for sale anymore.  That just really frustrates me.  Someone finally comes up with a good alternative to tobacco and the FDA finally gets their way or someone did.

It is an outrage seriously.  They would much rather smoke tobacco then water, OMG.  This world is corrupt.

Any other hubbers with e-cig hubs?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no, but i just published a hub last night and was surprised to see a Google ad for "smokeless cigarettes" on it after i published it. and it has nothing to do with smoking. are you getting Google ads for them at least?

i bet Amazon pulled their e-cig ads 'cause kids were buying them or something. sheesh.

1. Green Lotus profile image59
        Green Lotusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a few hubs on e-cigarettes with another more lighthearted one about to be published. just click on my profile.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Nope.

~thranax~

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Delivering pure nicotine (the component which people become addicted to) doesn't sound at all to me like something healthy.  And the fact that the delivery system was created to imitate a behavior that it becoming more and more banned doesn't seem like a good idea either.

And most likely they have been pulled due to the fact they've just been classified as a new and unproven drug.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicotine?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you unaware of what an e-cigarette is?  It's a delivery system for liquid nicotine.

1. profile image0

I am aware you must think I am a friggin idiot.  Okay.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicotine might be the addictive part of a cigarette but it's not the part that kills people, so therefor a nicotine delivery system without the smoke sure sounds healthier to me, we're not talking eating carrots type healthy, but healthier.

And again I'm pretty sure it's not the 'behavior' of smoking that's banned, but the smoke itself.

4. christophallen profile image59
    christophallenposted 14 years ago

They are cracking down on the e-cigs big-time. It's really unfortunate. Despite whatever health questions there are, there's definitely no doubt that they aren't as bad for you as regular cigarettes.

1. profile image0

Exactly!

5. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Yeah ... they discovered real cigarettes kill more people, so due to overpopulation of the Earth they have determined that e-cigs must go, so as not to mess with the plan to kill off a third of the population by 2012 ...

1. profile image57
      onetrueheartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is why we need to start the campaign to elect Palin in 2012!  Are you with me, please get with me!

1. profile image0

Oh hell noo!!!!  I wouldn't elect that woman if she was the only choice.

6. yoshi97 profile image56

Oh ... and my doctor was really annoyed to hear that I was breathing a lot easier since I quit smoking real cigarettes

7. swarnaw profile image59
    swarnawposted 14 years ago

i don't like smoke. it is bad habit

8. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I have an e-cig hub and I still have e-cig products in my Amazon capsule.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Just out of curiosity I went to eBay, and it looks to me as if they don't sell the actual e.cigarettes but sell things like cases and maybe cartridges.  Maybe these companies don't want to risk liability if it turns out the products are more hazardous than people think.

Some people believe that it is the pharmaceutical companies (who make nicotine gum and patches) who are putting pressure on to get e.cigarettes banned.

I, personally, don't care one way or the other about e.cigarettes; but I don't think people's dislike of anyone else doing something that looks like smoking (but isn't), or else someone else's not liking the idea that people use nicotine (or Sweet 'n Low or beer or whatever else) ought to have any impact on the e.cigarette industry.  I wrote a Hub after the FDA came out with preliminary findings on toxins, but the e.cigarette is a completely different product from tobacco cigarettes; and since second-had smoke isn't a factor (the water vapor disappears almost immediately, and it isn't smoke), I don't think it's up to anyone but users as to who takes any possible risks with them or doesn't.  Whether or not the product has been approved as a stop-smoking device, that's what a lot of people are using it for.  The same people who risk their own lives speeding in cars, who eat all kinds of unhealthy food, and who don't wash their hands after using a restroom are often the people who have it in their heads that anything that even looks like a cigarette is the "only evil" there is in the world.  Common sense would tell people that a battery-operated cigarette that has "water smoke" should be the choice of anyone who wants to use it, provided they have adequate information about any possible risks.

10. KCC Big Country profile image84

I just went back and took a closer look and the ads on my e-cig page are just for cartridges, chargers and cases, no actual e-cigs.

1. profile image0

How odd right.  The part that contains the nicotine is still being sold.  lol

11. Lisa HW profile image62

I think questions about their safety, resulting from some very limited studies performed by the FDA, could be one reason Amazon has removed them.  Very limited studies by the FDA showed they have have toxins in them, although some people question whether the FDA's word can be trusted.  Others question whether amounts of any toxins have been exaggerated.  Some of the more extensive studies, however, have been conducted by manufacturers, themselves - so who knows who/what to believe.

12. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Apparently we all agree smoking at all is bad. Its a good thing to know, as seeing it has no real benefits. It seems like getting people addicted to e-cigs makes it so that companies can steal all there money for a longer time because they will live those few extra years from the switch over...

~thranax~

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I just googled the topic and found this

"The Internet retailer Amazon.com is reportedly moving to stop selling or supporting the sale of e-cigarettes on its huge website. Its action follows receipt of a notice of potential legal liability for facilitating the sale of a product the Food and Drug Administration [FDA] has declared is “illegal.”"

Here's the complete link: http://www.tobacco-facts.net/2009/09/am … ette-sales

1. profile image0

OMG, ROTFLMAO, are you kidding me!  Since when did the FDA have any sanctions over the product?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicotine is a pyschoactive drug, it's always been something that has fallen under the FDA's purview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#P … ve_effects

1. Green Lotus profile image59
          Green Lotusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicotine is also present in many foods such as tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant! Hey, let's ban pizza and french fries! Nicotine is not a carcinogen. Even the FDA admits that. A "full flavored" cigarette contains 8 MG of nicotine. E-cigarettes may be ordered with as little as 4mg or with NO nicotine.  The product is a remarkable way to quit smoking although it has to be advertised as a smoking alternative.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm since the government figured out how much money they were going to lose in tax revenue if e-cigs took off?  hmm

14. yoshi97 profile image56

And yet ... regular cigarettes are still sold, which kill millions of smokers and non-smokers alike ... now that's the definition of hypocrisy!

15. Lisa HW profile image62

It would seem to me that an anti-smoking organization has no right to involve itself with a product that is not smoke.  I'm not making any guesses about whether the FDA's findings are accurate or valid, but the world is full of hazardous products.  It would seem to me that an anti-smoking organization should involve itself only with smoke.  I mean, if someone wants to create an anti-vaping organization and try to go after the product, that may make sense.  This doesn't.  I can't help but get a whiff of a little zealotry here; and that, in itself, could make the anti-smoking organization less credible when it comes to the thing they're actually supposed to be against.

1. profile image0

Plus you would think they have to be flippin idiots because by doing so they are furthering the tobacco agenda.

16. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/2 … 95113.html

Cloves and flavored tobacco (but not menthol?)have recently been banned in the US also, undoubtedly as a result of years of efforts by the tobacco lobby

Forget amazon for ecigs - i know many people who have made thousands from that product, ecigs have direct affiliate programs through every major publisher network..i have exp w/ a program on the pepperjam network, i th9nk there are a couple of references and links on one or two of my aff marketing hubs

1. profile image0

I don't know what it has to do with e-cigs though.

1. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

whats to miss? big tobacco, tobacco alternatives, profit loss , corrupt govt and agencies - its pretty clear

or the second part? if you want to market e-cigs become an afilliate directly, with 10-20% commissions, rather than 4-8.5% through amazon

1. profile image0

lol, sorry.  I meant about the article.  What did the article have to do with e-cigs?  It was about banning clove and flavored cigarettes because they believe it is more appealing to teenagers.

1. sunforged profile image69
            sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its all tied together, it has nothing to do with kids (the nnumber one cigarette product smoked by teens is Marborlo cigarettes followed closely by Newports) all of these products - added up take a small portion of sales from big tobacco and they have successfully removed their competition

sorry about typos- netbook has lille buttons

17. KCC Big Country profile image84

I've been hoping all along that someone big/influential/loaded would come along and really support e-cigs so that they had a bit more clout.  It's going to take a lot to combat the tobacco industry and FDA.  It's hard to tell who is puppeteering who, but there are a lot of 'people' who stand to lose a lot of money if e-cigs survive so they are bound to fight it.  NONE of this is about the health and safety of people.

1. profile image0

I know Big Country.  It's always about the money with those folks.  yikes

18. KCC Big Country profile image84

I do realize that money and livlihoods are what we're all about, but it should never be at the risk of someone else's health.  Tobacco companies have lobbied and 'ruled' forever and it's been proven time after time after time how horrible cigarettes are and no one has ever been able to do anything about it.

19. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

That's bad news for you and others selling e-cigs through amazon - so I'm sorry to hear it. They are are MUCH better alternative to smoking cigarettes. I know one really good affiliate company called linkshare that have them on their site, if you want to sell them directly as Sunforged suggested smile

20. shamelabboush profile image53
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

I'm ok with the real one.

21. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I love my menthol-flavored e-cig! And mine doesn't contain nicotine!

22. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

My Hubby was given an e-cigarette and was convinced it would help him stop smoking by a guy in the pub. At the same time this guy got hold one one for another smoker who frequented the pub. I think I saw all three of them only ever use their e-cigs on two separate nights, and now assume these have been relegated to the bottom drawer in favour of "The real thing". I am so glad I stoped smoking cigs over a year ago. My only smoking type vice now is the Shisha pipe I bought in Egypt, and the 'tobacco' I can buy for that is nicotine, tar and tobacco free. This stuff tastes great and comes in lovely flavours such as mixed fruits, coconut, banana, liquorice etc. Another plus is it isn't really too likely to become a habit as you won't exactly walk into a pub carrying your own shisha/hookah pipe, charcoal discs, tobaccos etc, (the smoke is also drawn through water which makes it far more pleasant) big_smile

1. profile image52
      otrpuposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would anybody trust what the FDA says anyway. They've been letting corporations kill off a considerable segment of the population for decades. If it's the tobacco lobby that's fighting this, I suggest they either get behind eCigs. . .or find a wholesaler that can supply containers full of cannabis seeds. If it's the patch 'n gum crowd, I suggest they contact a band aid company or some where else to sell their wares. The industry that will eventually promote eCigs will probably be the medical insurance boys. They really have the most to gain from people switching from poison to play pretend. As well as large corporations with thousands of employees. Just think of the man hours they will reclaim with everybody staying in the saddle the full workday. And anybody with any sense "that smokes" will switch off tobacco to the eCig and gradually work their way out of any nicotine involvement. That's what I think. . .and I'ma stickin too it.
      Cheers,
      otrpu

23. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Sign up to these affilaite programs directly.  You might find lower conversions but higher profits in any case smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)