How Come this Sudden Spike in Traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 6 years ago

An editor reviewed this particular hub and decided that due to the fact that it has been extensively covered they could not get it on Toughnickel. To my surprise I found it doing well on the main site - HubPages.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13937448.png

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

HP articles still appear on search engines, so there is always a chance that they'll get good views without being on niche sites.  If it works, don't mess with it!!

2. Daniel Mollat profile image66
    Daniel Mollatposted 6 years ago

I noticed the same thing too. My latest hub which is only 7 days old and not yet on a niche site is getting more views than my older hubs in niche sites. I'm beginning to wonder whether niche sites are all that important for better viewership. I think it is the quality of the hub, more than anything else, that gives a hub good viewership.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

If it were just the quality of the hub then HP would not have gone to the expense of creating the niche sites.
      How many page views per day do you consider good? 250? 500? 1000? Articles on HP do not perform that well, and those red arrows mean nothing. Articles that get 0 views every day, then one day get 22, will get double red arrows. That is hardly a reason to celebrate.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1   One thing that is frustrating is not being able to know exact facts when people post here, especially when it comes to money.  Someone can be raving about how much they're earning which, in fact, can be practically nothing compared to others.  I am always shocked when someone slips and tells it like it is!  It would be so interesting to know how much people really are earning here!  Relache wrote an article some years ago that give people an idea about this.  If she's still here, I wish she'd write another one!  At that time, the great majority were earning less than $10 per month!

1. HoneyBB profile image93
          HoneyBBposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It takes me 3 months to make payout. I am hoping to see traffic pick up with these new changes. If not, I'm ready to throw in the towel because it gets frustrating sometimes.

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hang in there, HoneyBB, don't give up. We came on together so I hope you stay. smile You need more hubs. Getting on the niche sites will boost your success.

Thanks Jan, the thing that drives me crazy is my hubs get between 20 and 40 google views a day for a few months and then they get 0 for eternity. I feel like someone takes them and improves them or something. I just don't get it.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

Some of your articles are insightful and will garner good traffic over time. I agree with Janshares though in that your problem is that you do not have enough. I have written 10 times what you have. Although none of my articles have a lot of traffic (at least according to some people) a lot of them have good traffic, and added up that makes for a lot. I make payout every day, but if I had stopped at 28 articles I never would have found what works.
                Be sure to check out lobobrandons latest thread and read the moz article he linked to it. The articles that get the top ratings on Google´s search engine cover almost everything. (Paul has pointed out that articles now need to be at least 2000 words to get good ranking.) When you write your next article, try to think of related questions. WryLilt uses Google suggest, I use a keyword tool after I have written to find out if there are any related questions that I am not answering. Writing articles are a lot of work but it can be worth your time.
                This is a link to that thread from Brandon: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/33 … c---part-2
                There is so much cr*p posted on the forum now (between games, persons who post daily about whatever they want, and those daily qoutes) that important things that help us learn more are pushed off into oblivion.

Thanks DrMark for that valuable assessment. I did have about 11 more articles on Hubpages that I took off and started my own parenting website because after a few months I stopped getting any views of them and many months later I still was not getting views on them. The same things keep happening with all my articles on Hubpages. The views I do get are from Google but I only have 3 articles that make 10 or more views on a daily basis. The rest got good views for a few months and then nothing at all. I hate to keep writing articles if nobody's ever going to read them.

I don't know about that 2000 word thing...I lose my interest when articles are that long. I heard somewhere that Google was getting that impression too...that on average people's attention span doesn't hold out that long. I also write on a Write Team for a newspaper and one of the other writers wrote an article just over 500 words and she's already had over 340,000 views in a weeks time.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

It is raining this morning so my horses have the day off and I have time on my hands! I just typed "critical thinking in middle school cirriculum" into the keyword tool ubersuggest and found a lot of things you can work on. You only answer a few questions, but if you go through that tool and answer all of the questions, most of which are only getting about 50 page views per month, you will have a lot more keywords in your article and the search engines will display your article more often.
                    Will this mean an immediate difference? I can not promise that. It will mean a small increase right away and maybe over time a significant increase. If you want to give this tool a try, it is https://neilpatel.com/ubersuggest/
                    There are a lot of other free tools out there. I do not think they are useful for finding a subject--everyone who uses these tools to find a subject ends up writing about acne. If you do have a subject in mind, these tools can help you improve your article and have more page views.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

HoneyBB, I did not read all the messages on this thread, but if you want me to help you out in terms of topics you can cover, give me one hub title and I'd email you with some helpful advice. You could follow the same principle and work on your other hubs.

Having more hubs does help, but only write more once your current ones are the best on the internet for that topic. And by best I mean it. You cannot say this section is covered better on another website, every section on your hub needs to be the best there is.

DrMark, thanks for pointing to that link where I posted about the Moz article that seconded what I do. After that thread received no real response and went down into oblivion, I decided to not take the initiative to help here. Within 2 hours it was already half way down the page. I used google shortened URLs to track the number of clicks to the links in that thread and there were just 6 clicks to the Moz article so far. That was all from the first 2 hours, after that nada.

Thanks so much Lobobrandon, Here's one "How having an Attitude can Improve Your Life".   I just changed the title on that about ten minutes ago so it might be better already but maybe the rest needs improvements...I get a few hits here and there but not much...I was getting 20 to 30 for the first few months after I wrote it but then it went down to 2 to 3 every now and then. I appreciate you helping me out. However, I've been up all night and I am going to sleep now so whenever you get around to that is good...no rush. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'll get back to you on Monday. I am in the ending stages of a master thesis report and plan to complete that by Sunday. Good night smile

4. HoneyBB profile image93
    HoneyBBposted 6 years ago

I really appreciate the two of you pointing out my flaws in my pieces. I never noticed them and nobody else ever said anything before but now I can see how I can improve them. I'm relieved to know that the problem lies with me because atleast I know there's something I can do to fix it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have a website of my own, a niche site so to say. And it does rank reasonably well. For the past 8 years alongside my studies, I have been providing people with SEO (I began by writing, but eventually got into SEO). For 5 years I have this website and it's got 100 indexed pages, not a lot, but it's enough to be an authority in the sub-niche I am in. I am on the first page at #9 for a spot I am trying to increase in ranks for. I am building links which are a part of SEO, and the rankings are slowly improving.

But, I wrote on a related topic on hubpages (dengarden) but not with the intention to rank for that particular keyword and I am #2 for this term with my dengarden article.

Why am I telling you this?

I'm only saying this because the niche sites (most of them, if not all) are really authoritative right now. Take for instance a hub I've not put my best into: How do magnets work. I rank #11 for the term "how do magnets work" when there are 72 million other pages trying to rank for that term! I can vastly improve this article, and I will in the coming months.

So all you need to do is get your hubs onto the niche sites. And once they are there don't settle for that.  Add more research into the hub. People say 2.5k words is okay 3k is too much. I don't think so. People stick around to read my long hubs (basing this on time spent on the page as per google analytics as well as my own website). As long as you have a good logical flow to it and a structure so that people can skip sections and find what they want VERY easily, you are good.

From the little of your hub that I read I can say you have good knowledge and/or research skills. Even if you are a pro on the topic you can learn more through research. For instance, I've grown a lot of tomatoes, but I still learn a lot from research and add it to my hubs.

All I'm trying to say is, yes the problem lies with you and you can fix it. I would not call it a problem, just the nack of learning to write for the internet. There are two things you are trying to achieve here, first a quality article for the readers with a good structure and secondly a quality and well-structured article for the search engines. Understanding how to strike the right balance between these two very similar but completely different thing is key.

P.S: Ignore any inconsistencies, been a long day. I've been working on my computer for over 13 hours now. Now I'm off to bed lol. Good night.

Most of my hubs go directly to the niche sites when I submit them. I also have a website (I pulled all my parenting hubs from here and started my own website with them) and I spent thousands of sleepy hours trying to figure out SEO and all the ways to get traffic and on and on and I still have no idea what I'm doing or even if it's set up right. I don't get much traffic at all but your advice as well as the advice from Timetraveller and DrMark has given me things to start fixing on there too.  Anyhow, I know what you're talking about and I appreciate you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)