Forum Dispute

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Jessie L Watson profile image66
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

Perhaps to strike a balance between what one portion of HP users want and the rest of us...maybe we could start up a "Newcomer Thread - Q&A"  that has equal staying power to some of our popular word games. There won't be an official decision to parse up exactly which content goes where on the freeform discussions anytime soon but I am willing to make an effort to help make things better if people are not happy with what they see here.

Think Tank - Go!

1. Leland Johnson profile image82
      Leland Johnsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Are people unhappy with the current system?

Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The consensus seems to be that people are misusing the freeform discussion for trivial things, ultimately diluting the conversation intended for helping new hubbers be successful.

Some people believe that the freeform discussions exists solely to help inform writers about writing on HP. I don't know anything about that. I have no idea what HP "officially" intended it for. I have no dogs in that fight. The word "free" seemed self-evident to me but apparently this is a mistake.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We encourage people to report posts that have been miscategorized and suggest the appropriate forum.  Moderators do look at every such report and move the threads when the reports are deemed accurate.

The Freeform Discussion Forum is the place for things like community games, writing inspiration ideas, and other HubPages Community-related threads that are not requests for help and feedback, bug reports, feature suggestions, etc.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for coming to our rescue Christie. The problem is that all threads from all topics are duplicated and clutter the main default forum page: https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Could you explain what you mean by duplicated? I'm only seeing one instance of each thread on the main forum page.

Duplicated from the other forum topics.
            As outlined in my illustration

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13947327.png
            When we go to https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages we want to see the content from
            Getting Help from the HubPages Community without all the threads from all the other forum topics that have nothing to do with hubpages.

On the left side of the forum page are the appropriate avenues to find what one is looking for. It's not clear to me that whatever is on the right-hand side of that page is meant to be about anything in particular.

2. theraggededge profile image96
              theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but not only the 'Help' stuff, but anything to do with the actual business of writing on this platform. As it says 'Official HubPages'.

Freeform and all that should go over to Topical.

That is why I suggested the following in my original post on your thread Bev:
                https://hubpages.com/community/forum/31 … crp?page=4

Like we got rid of the religious forums, we could EXCLUDE all forum topics from the default (main) forum page EXCEPT for the topic "Getting help from the HubPages Community" OR... Make the  "Getting help from the HubPages Community" the default forum page.

If this was to be implemented, we may need to rename the default forum page  "Getting help from the HubPages Community" to something more appropriate like "Writers Knowledge Sharing" or something more appropriate.

1. theraggededge profile image96

Yes, I see what you mean now. Slice out the 'need help' and put under Official. Agreed.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image66

It seems like more people are using the freeform discussion over everything else. If the goal is to not let those leak into the "latest activity" section then I don't see any problem with that.

The issue I've attempted to highlight in this discussion is the specific content that is being seen within the freeform discussion forum. As if people should refine their content on the freeform discussion which I don't find tenable at all.

No. No-one is suggesting for one second that they can't have their threads. It's simply where they show up is the issue.

I can't keep saying this but they belong here: https://hubpages.com/forum/topical

3. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Sue, I see now that you meant some of the forum topics overlap, not that duplicated posts are showing up (if I am understanding correctly). We don't have any plans to reorganize the forums at this time.

We also currently don't allow duplicate posts in multiple forums (for example, a user may not make an identical post in Freeform Discussion and in Community News, even though the subjects of those forums are similar), so please report these if you come across them.

If you have no plans to reorganize the forums at the moment I'm afraid you are going to lose many of us oldies who could provide valuable help to newcomers because we are not prepared to sift through all the fluff that is completely irrelevant to HubPages.

Yep. I've had enough of it, to be honest. I only came back in on this thread because it is pertinent to why I have given up posting here.

Oh, and because I was informed that hubbers who help others are on an ego trip or something.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
                lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Christy, the thing we are complaining about is this:

When we come to the Hubpages forums via this link: https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages we want to see threads that are related to HubPages.

After the removal of the QnA section, the freeform discussion which also shows on this link https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages has been flooded with stuff which rightly fits into the freeform discussion. However, this stuff drowns anything that is related to Hubpages, the only reason many of us come to this link https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages.

So what Sue and most of us are suggesting, is something on the lines of what you guys did with the religious topics, etc. some time ago. You may not have plans to change this in the foreseeable future, and that is up to HP to decide. But this is what people have been complaining about. And when most if not all of the hubbers who help new writers here (new writers are needed for HP to thrive), are getting irritated by this, there is a very high likelihood that these helpful hubbers are not going to come back to the forums. Everyone loses.

Like Jessie here points out, some people only come to threads based on their feed, that's no issue. But when we come to the HubPages forums, it would be nice to see stuff related to Hub Pages. There were so many times when Paul has made an announcement or posted a helpful thread and didn't sticky it, and within 3 hours it was already halfway down the page. This post would have helped hubbers and therefore HP as a brand. But by allowing freeform discussions to bury this, no one is really gaining anything, other than a build-up of frustration.

I hope you see the point we've been trying to make on now 3 threads. Quite a few winners and contenders (based on whom people have said they voted for) of the HP most helpful hubbers feel this way, I would think it is important.

1. Marketing Merit profile image94
                  Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well articulated Brandon.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Thanks, I just hope Christy actually returns to read it. Considering all the messages that went around here. If she does not reply in 24 hours, I would send her an e-mail just for informative purposes. I totally understand that they have a lot on their plate right now, but this is also important in its own way. Imagine what would happen if one of the people earning 10k plus here right now quit HP because they didn't receive the help they needed on the forums when they first joined.

P.S: some parts of this message are not directed to you Marketing Merit, it's just a few more points I wanted to throw out there.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Thank you to everyone who has explained further. As I'm understanding it, some people are feeling frustrated that threads from Community News and Freeform Discussion are showing up on the main forum page. The issue is that there is no simple way to exclude them for users who don't want to see them while still displaying them for users who do on a person-by-person basis. And if I'm being totally honest, our efforts right now are invested in features we hope will help to increase traffic and earnings (such as piloting the Q&A on articles). We've wanted to make some forum changes for a while, but it isn't likely to happen soon.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Yup, that's what I assumed. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

2. Marketing Merit profile image94
                    Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What I find confusing though Christy, is the pinned post in the Freeform Discussion thread from Paul Deeds, which states:

"...the posts in this forum will not appear in Hubtivity, so it's a good place for long meaningless threads."

Why is Latest Activity showing these posts if it was originally intended to exclude them?

3. psycheskinner profile image83
                    psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I suggest that if freeform is not meant for hub topics, it get ported to the topical side of the forums where it will not clutter things up for people looking for hub-related postings.

2. Sue Adams profile image95

Please Christy have a look at

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/31 … crp?page=4

to fully understand the problem.

So, if one thing pops on the forum page as "non-HP" specific then this should be reflected in its forum label. No? If I notice someone talking about homemade soap on the forum page and I'm looking for something else, I'm not going to bother reading about homemade soap. It's not too much trouble for me to refine my search somehow.

I'm not sure where the clutter is if people are posting in their appropriate forums. How can a freeform discussion suddenly crowd out everything else? Is it the sheer number of people using the freeform discussion?

Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

As a newcomer, one thing I have never figured out is who my audience is going to be outside of my followers. If I post something to the "Psychology & Psychiatry" forum, the only difference I see is how the post is labeled. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference who sees it compared to who would see it if I posted "freeform" instead. Why does this matter? Because the issue is: one person's random post takes the place of a potentially helpful post within the parameter of the forum topic. What's more, it was never explained to me what "freeform" was but as I watched others, I thought maybe this was the "normal feed" where people could go if they didn't feel like being so strict and professional about their post.

The "status" option doesn't really seem to work like a normal news feed. People aren't engaging on those at all. It appears as if the "Freeform" has taken on the role of a network news feed. I don't see anything inherently wrong with this but others do. So, I'm not sure what to do about it other than try and talk about it.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

The system is that everything on one side is about hubs, and the other is for everything else.  I wish that was just enforced and the subforums clearly labeled.

So, you think the labeling is important in this case? When I initially notice something posted, it takes me a minute to actually see whether its an "article" or a "forum". From there do I actually find what the subtopic is but rarely do I really need to know what the subtopic is. If it's not relevant to me by what I can see at first glance, then I just keep scrolling anyway.

My feed also doesn't seem to prioritize what I see based on the topic or subtopic EXCEPT for posts that are getting the most traffic.

4. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 6 years ago

There are already 2 threads running on this topic. Do we really need a third?
    There is a place for everything in the forums. The problem is that the default page for the forums duplicates all forum threads from all forum topics.

I have outlined a simple solution in this post.

Please have a look and give feedback.

"There are already 2 threads running on this topic. Do we really need a third?"
      Apparently so, especially since people are discontent no matter what happens. First, there's not enough useful discourse happening and now there's too much? Lord have mercy. Forgive me as I don't notice everything that happens here.

I'll have a look but I'll retain my freedom to discuss the issue further in case there are more schools of thought out there on this matter. Thanks.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

Sue and Everyone,  I suggest you contact HP directly. I am sure you will get a response and information about their future plan for the forums. Continuing to post this issue on the forum(s) apparently is helping.

6. Sue Adams profile image95

I emailed Robin and given her the permalink to my post

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/31 … ost3989509

but have had no response yet.

Okay, so that answers the question as to what the Freeform Discussion is intended for. So, I'm right back to square one. I don't see the problem with how people are using it, then.

The problem is that when we go to the main forum page we do not want to read all the stuff that belongs to specific forum topics that have nothing to do with HubPages.

Who's we? I don't fit into "we". There has never been any real regularity with what I see on my feed. Why would anyone only want to see something that's relevant to the brand they're using? So much other interesting stuff is being discussed. I feel like there's an inquisition happening and it's concerning. One half of HP users are jockeying for power over content. It's ridiclous. The problem at hand is helping hubbers find where they need to go. That doesn't ALWAYS mean they need to go where people are talking about how to make amazon capsules and so forth.

This is not a dispute, no one is arguing. If you never go to the forums then why start a thread about the forums? Please look at

a simple solution to understand the problem many of us who have participated in the forums for many years want to simplify its structure so we can once again help each other and newbies in a more pleasant and efficient environment.

Exactly. But people are arguing for the supremacy of HP specific content on the Freeform Discussion FORUMS. That's what separates my discussion from the others.

And some of us don't go to the "Forum Page". I never go there. I simply browse my feed at random as do many others.

And I don't understand what the confusion is with navigating the forums based on their content. If they're all labeled as they are intended to be in terms of topic, where is the problem if not for what pops up first?

There are many problems that people are pointing out. It's not obvious to me that all the complaints are the same.

7. Sue Adams profile image95

You still haven't looked at
    a simple solution
    have you?

Yes. I have. But that's not the issue I've found.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13947311_f1024.jpg

I have no idea what this person means by "hijacked" if we are sticking to the intended parameter of freeform discussion. It there is a "help" forum, then there should be no problem seeing helpful things in the helpful forums. If there is, then it has nothing to do with other forums.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13947315.png

Freeform Discussion - fun games, neverending threads, and other vacuous fun

The "Crap" that people are talking about has to do with what they're seeing on what is already determined to be a place for whatever people want to discuss.

The problem is, Jessie, that you are not seeing what everyone who comes directly to the forum sees. https://hubpages.com/forum/hubpages

That the list of Latest Activity is choked up with topics that aren't relevant to writing at HubPages. At the very top, above 'HubPages Official' is a button that says 'Topical Forum'. That's where the non-writing threads belong.

That list is only two pages long. That means that useful and interesting topics connected to writing at HubPages are lost very quickly because of the overwhelming amount of trivia.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13947323_f1024.jpg

Okay so why not just disregard what's on the right-hand side of the page? It's the "latest activity" which filters content chronologically. I'm not one to change something as fundamental as that. Everything else can be found nearby with ease.

How can it be disregarded? That's where we see the titles of the threads. I always choose to read from that list. Not everyone posts in the correct category.

Everything appears there, including official staff announcements. However, what we can't see under Latest Activity are the Topical threads because the forum was split into two a couple of years ago. This *side* was meant to be writing-related. The 'other side' was for everything else.

The puzzle is why staff thought it necessary to include the games and trivia under Freeform, when there is a perfectly well-organised and dedicated section for all that in Topical.

Can you see the problem now? We'd like one section completely for writing stuff and all the queries, sharing of resources, requests for help, etcetera, and another separate one for everything else. And the thing is... it already exists, so why can't people take their non-writing, quotes, word-games, philosophical discussions, etcetera over to the Topicals?

I never, ever look at my feed. I, like many other hubbers, come to the forum page. And when there's only two pages of threads, it means that they are usually half-full of fluff.

You say not everyone posts in the correct category. Elaborate. Because when someone says that I immediately think of someone posting about cooking recipes in the philosophy forum.

Someone who needs help, let's say on a technical issue (that staff monitor and respond to) might post on 'getting help from the community', where staff won't see it. That's what I mean.

I see

3. Jessie L Watson profile image66

The words "banal" and "crap" keep popping up but that seems to be a matter of opinion. If this particular forum is intended for people to write what they feel is fun and engaging, then who is anyone to say that any of it is "crap"?

8. Kenna McHugh profile image91

With Christy chiming in on this thread, it tells us HP is aware of the issue. Even though she said they are not considering it now, I am sure they will eventually. What Brandon wrote is perfect. I am sure HP will read it. As I mentioned early, the right channel is a direct email to HP - not on the forms. The more emails they get on this issue the more effective the message will be.

9. Kenna McHugh profile image91

Thanks Christy for clarification.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)