What is the best guerilla marketing campaign?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. universumtech profile image59
    universumtechposted 14 years ago

Hello there,

I am curious if there is one typical guerilla marketing campaign that anyone has practiced using it and what is effective? How can you gauge the results of using this type of marketing online?

I need your thoughts on this and many thanks for those who can contribute to enlighten my curiosity on this topic.

:-)

1. waynet profile image67
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The cheap and inexpensive flyer, draw people in with a bold headline that will promise a benefit for those who inquire further with the contact info that you should always provide, either with a website url or a phone number or email address.

A website is easy to track the metrics of how those people got there....but yes a flyer is one of those Guerrilla marketing campaigns that can work well if you know where your target market hangs out and plus you can repurpose the flyers content to work online as an advert too or a blog post, your choice!

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i don't know if this is "guerilla" but i think free sampless are good. i usually buy something i have sampled first, like Cherrios or shampoo in the same bag as my daily newspaper, etc.

i just heard UPS will be dropping off free samples of stuff when they deliver parcels as a way to make extra money.

3. profile image52
      deniraeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot depends on what you are trying to market, I would need more information to answer that question.

Denise

1. kephrira profile image61
        kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He already said, he's trying to market gorilla's.

Maybe you should try calling a few zoos?

1. profile image49
          triplemintposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To get your most profitable margins, buy the Gorilla's

from the Zoo's in Kalifornia and sell them at the Zoo's

in Washington, Rinse and Repeat!

1. shanekruger profile image60
            shanekrugerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with u

4. bgowton profile image59
      bgowtonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the type of business you are marketing. What do you hope to achieve? If you want to just get your name out there you can go with the cheap flyers to hand out on the street or even the obnoxious guy on the side of the highway holding up a sign.

What people usually want with guerilla marketing is a cheap way to market their company and get customers. By coming on sites like this, you can create useful information that people need and are searching on the internet and then link it back to your company. Are you marketing a bakery? Start publishing recipes on any of the million and one recipe websites with your company contact information (if they allow it). Social networking sites are a good place to start. Create a profile just for your business.

The key is to create a buzz around your company name. The guy who mentioned sidewalking chalking rather than using a sandwich board has the right idea. Step outside the box and think of something that will catch someone's interest and draw them in for more.

Think of marketing techniques done by Steven Singer Jewelers in Philadelphia. He bought 5 second radio ads that just said "I hate Steven Singer." He meant it to be a part of his campaign on how men hate Steven Singer for making jewelry so affordable that he now has to buy her something for every holiday.

Who is that masked blogger that gives such great advice?

PhoenixFire Marketing

1. profile image50
        kingelectronicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What ever it may be but it should be done in a effective way..
        Hope everything goes well..

5. xriotdotbiz profile image57
      xriotdotbizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any form of marketing can be turned into guerilla marketing.  It is just a matter of spending a lot less and upping the creativity.  The problem is that too many business owners think there is a silver bullet, that they can send dollars in a form of advertising and get a huge stream of customers.  When the reality is to just do one's advertising different.

Like the afore mentioned sandwich boards.  You see them sitting on sidewalks not doing much.  But get some one inside it walking hanging out handbills, that ups the wattage.  Or get it in front of eyeballs where it will stand out.  My hometown is a city of half a million people and like many cities the downtown has a freeway loop which commuters use to get work.  This means there is four distinctive choke points (off and on ramps areas) where traffic is congested twice a day every morning and evening.  Get someone walking that sandwich boards at each point during drive time.

Hate to use a cliche when I am saying be more creative, but guerilla marketing is truly about thinking outside the box.  Or maybe it is about what you can do with the box to make one's business stand out for less dollars.

6. b2seeds profile image59
      b2seedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How are you doing? I don't think there is a specific campaign i can tell you that "works" but i can tell you what worked for me! The first thing you need to do is find a "niche" research it and go from there. There are many ways to approach making money online but the first thing you should do is get as much info as possible before you start so you don't get discouraged and quit before you actually get started! I would recommend checking out Wealthy Affiliates which is an online university that has forums, personal coaching, videos, tutorials, website templates, fFREE website hosting, and info on article marketing, email marketing, you name it! And best of all, you can earn while you learn by searching the job boards. It's literally the best thing i've come accross online. You can join for a year or monthly and before you join you can do tour of the site and all it's benefits. goto http://snipurl.com/wa-wealth and you can do the free tour. You won't regret it at all! Afterall, it's free! smile
      One more site you can check out that gives you a free live website with click bank ready to promote, all you have to do is drive traffic to it is http://www.dollarmonitor.com/affsites/afx/219742.html

I hope this info helps! I've had the same questions myself

7. b2seeds profile image59
      b2seedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How are you doing? I don't think there is a specific campaign i can tell you that "works" but i can tell you what worked for me! The first thing you need to do is find a "niche" research it and go from there. There are many ways to approach making money online but the first thing you should do is get as much info as possible before you start so you don't get discouraged and quit before you actually get started! I would recommend checking out Wealthy Affiliates which is an online university that has forums, personal coaching, videos, tutorials, website templates, fFREE website hosting, and info on article marketing, email marketing, you name it! And best of all, you can earn while you learn by searching the job boards. It's literally the best thing i've come accross online. You can join for a year or monthly and before you join you can do tour of the site and all it's benefits. goto http://snipurl.com/wa-wealth and you can do the free tour. You won't regret it at all! Afterall, it's free! smile
      One more site you can check out that gives you a free live website with click bank ready to promote, all you have to do is drive traffic to it is http://www.dollarmonitor.com/affsites/afx/219742.html

I hope this info helps! I've had the same questions myself

8. LuxuryResorTravel profile image39
      LuxuryResorTravelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not know if there is just one strategy that you can call the best but if you would like you can sign up for my FREE 7 day MlM Top Recruiter Secrets Boot Camp to learn the strategies that will catapult you into the top percentile of your company.

http://www.MlmTopRecruiterSecrets.com

9. GreatContent profile image59
      GreatContentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tech,

Article marketing

Social network marketing

Forum marketing

What do you write in these? You teach others how to marketing using attraction marketing. Doing these, you'll turn into a gurillea!

10. profile image56
      save50posted 13 years agoin reply to this

white hat tactic last long than blackhats

2. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Whatever they come up with, nothing beats a good old fashioned sandwich board.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

sidewalk chalking !

everything beats a sandwich board, you have to do things that will be talked about! that creates buzz

1. fdoleac profile image61
      fdoleacposted 14 years agoin reply to this
      1. fdoleac profile image61
        fdoleacposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea - very creative -

4. Pr0metheus profile image59
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

I actually have done some work for geurilla marketing (I was thinking about writing some hubs on it but I don't know) for concerts and events.  It is a good idea to have a smaller flyer (about a quarter of a page each) with a big head line, that looks good.  Get the important info across on the front of the page.  Get some incentives to get a team together (if you're promoting for a concert then free tickets should do) and hit up events relating to the ones you are trying to promote.  Stand outside and just say things relating to your event and hand out fliers. 

Don't be shy, social tendencies are the key here.  Look the people in the eyes, say a band name, and hand them the fliers - they are more likely to take them that way.  Go out on Friday and Saturday Nights between 10pm and 2am and put the fliers on the windshield/driver side of every car in as many parking lots as you can.  You can also walk up and down main streets (like 5th st in San Diego) and hand the fliers to people that way, although that won't be as effective.  Stick fliers wherever you can!  Exposure is key.

Also, many people ONLY hit up events that relate to the subject (E.G. DJ shows for electronic music).  You do need to hit up those shows, but spreading out your demographic is a good idea too.  The most fliers I've ever gotten out in a 30 minute span was outside a Latino music concert, and I was passing out electronic music show fliers.  You never know who will go, and who won't, so get the word out.

Have fun!

Edit: Also, drop small stacks of fliers off at relating stores (ask them first).  Also, remember that you can pass out 2 or 3 fliers at once... Promote for multiple things!

5. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

We can talk about what "Guerilla marketing" is all day, but the point of this method is more about action than conjecture, so all I'll add is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

6. response profile image58
    responseposted 14 years ago

Yes it is important to have a marketing compaign however you can get even better results by following up with your present clients turning your cold market into a warm market

7. whitneysegura profile image59
    whitneyseguraposted 14 years ago

I find that well planned out secret business plans, sufficient funding, and the guts to see what your made of is one of the most powerful marketing plans ever, in whatever type of marketing. If your going to jump, jump.

8. Stephen Beck profile image60
    Stephen Beckposted 14 years ago

We live in a college town, and I have to say that some of the best guerilla marketing is done by these ingenious college students when they are campaigning for student government offices on campus.

They are usually given a monetary limit (to keep things even among competitors), a time limit, and pretty strict rules of what they can and can't do.  Each year it seems like they come up with something more clever than last year. 

I've seen t-shirts, flyers, yard signs, websites, car chalk on a car's back windshield, students posted at strategic intersections,   and even sandwich boards being driven around town in the back of pick-up trucks all in the name of their beloved candidate.  It's a pretty fascinating two weeks, really.

I'm not sure if any of this translates to what you're doing, but maybe it could give you a place to start brainstorming.  Best of luck to you!

9. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've been a professional marketer for over 20 years, and I can tell you that guerilla marketing by definition is creating promotions that are high on energy and creativity and low on budget. I'm not quite so sure I would call sandwich boards guerilla marketing tactics! smile

I've done a fair share of consulting for Heineken. They are all about throwing dollars at something hoping it will stick, and the lack of creativity has bit them in the butt more than once.

There was some huge music concert or event and Heineken dropped a wad of cash on sponsoring it so that they would be the only beer brand sold and consumed there. Some itty bitty competitor with a beer I'm sure you've never heard of went the guerilla marketing route.

They had thousands of beer koozies printed to look like a can of their beer and handed them out for free outside of the venue. Although Heineken spent all of that money so that their beer brand would get the exposure, what did they get instead? Thousands of people who put the Heineken they were drinking into the other beer's koozies. The koozie obscured the Heineken brand and it looked like thousands of people were drinking the other guy's beer.

Now THAT'S guerilla marketing!

10. angelicwarriors profile image72
    angelicwarriorsposted 14 years ago

For me there is far from enough information about what it is you are going to market...

Some good ideas so far....

For me I am using eBay, I sell flags, and I have hundred of ads running,

BUT

with a twist... see I am a disabled veteran, so I give 10% of my profits to the Wounded Warrior Project... it has really helped sales...

then I also do somethings that people may call crazy, I had a mother buy her son a flag fore his home state, she emailed me 10 times to make sure I would send it to her son in Iraq, I promised her that he would be getting it soon, in the package with the flag I included two 8 ounce packs of trial mix, and the state flag  of Texas with a hand written note saying thanks... now he should get the flag in time for Christmas... are you following me along here...

Do you think his word of mouth advertising going to recoup me the 3 bucks I lost on the one flag???

Ohh by the way he is 18 first time away from home for Christmas, and I decided to go one step further, I sent his mother a blue star flag so she can fly it in front of her home to show her son is proudly serving, I did not charge her for the flag or postage so I probably lost 8 to 10 bucks total on the whole deal.... but how many people will this Mother & Son tell about

EHT Flags

Look I didnt do this for the advertising points, or the additional sales... I did it because I love to show my support for our fighting men and women as a disabled vet...

So maybe all you need to do is give a little to a cause you support fully, take a stand for something, and just maybe you can be the next Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream... a company that was built in a similar manner...

I wounder how many people will look at my site from this story, and I paid zero.... if I generate one sale over the next 10 years was it worth it???

In Memory Of Their Service
    angelicwarriors

11. profile image49
    johndrekposted 14 years ago
  12. profile image52
    yandesjardinsposted 14 years ago

Recently i discovered a new web opportunity, like a lot of people i gave it a try, it ends up that it worked for me and i didn’t have to invest a dime to make it work. It’s the very first time i have access to such a resource and i am really proud of it. I wanted to share this with you, here is the link:
    http://freeincomefromhome.blogspot.com/

As mentioned in this article you will have to sign up for a few services that are free. You do not need to have any sort of experience or programming skills to perform well in this program. I suggest to the readers who want higher performance to invest in the program, but no initial funds, wait until you receive some check and invest a part of those check into your business.
    The author is doing 1 post a week and he just started this webinar. He offer personalize coaching and he’s great team is real there to help building a solid structure. I honestly hope to see you in some future webinar with the author as this can change your life by creating a new income that you can work from the comfort of your home.
    Have fun!

13. profile image53
    jackqualityposted 14 years ago

Hi

When you use internet explorer, pls pay attention to sidebar. You can see articles related, pdf or ppt file…you can find out your info.

Best regards

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)