Woodward Giuliani Seed of Doubt

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (25 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 5 years ago

In a Cuomo/CNN interview Rudy Giuliani says Woodward's claim that Pres. Trump said:

"“Rudy, you're a baby. I’ve never seen a worse defense of me in my life. They took your diaper off right there. You're like a little baby that needed to be changed. When are you going to be a man?""

... is made-up, it didn't happen. Claims he has 8 folks that were there when this supposedly happened, that would testify it didn't happen. He questioned why Woodward wouldn't interview the prime subject of the claim - him. Says Woodward never asked him if it was true.

He also said Jay Sekulow, Pres. Trump's lawyer, denies the "orange jumpsuit" quote and he too was never approached by Woodward for an interview.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPhxVH3Af0

The obvious first thought is; Of course Giuliani is going to say that. The second thought is would Giuliani tell such a possibly  'catchable' lie on TV? Welllll ....

Stack-up the credibility challenge - Woodward vs. Giuliani, and you have a choice to make.

Is this enough for a seed of doubt?

GA

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Seed of doubt about what? Can you clarify?

GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A seed of doubt concerning Woodward's perceived credibility, regarding the book.

If, (and I am not saying it is), this claim concerning Giuliani is not truthful, what about the credibility of his other claims?

GA

1. profile image0

Well, I am always willing to at least consider the possibility that a man with an impeccable reputation could decide to "cash in" by publishing a book with lies and exaggerations, I would need some real evidence of such a thing to believe it. As it stands now, Woodward is far more credible than Giuliani.

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, because Giuliani knows that Woodward won't release his tapes and reveal his sources to prove the quote. He will only do so in a court of law if he is sued for libel and forced by a judge to reveal them.

Regardless, it is highly unlikely that Woodward will get sued because he has tapes, multiple sources and fact checking by editors and lawyers. Even if he is, the 1st Amendment will protect him. Even far right judges don't go that far.

At least the courts still protect the truth in this country.

Hi promisem, so it appears you believe Giuliani is lying?

I think that would be the expected response from non-Trump supporters, and, as a Woodward fan it was my first thought also.

However, I am not so confident that it would take a court case to compel Woodward to elaborate. If he has supporting evidence - which I would think he does - for such a claim, I can see him showing enough of it, (without exposing sources that don't want to be exposed), to put the lie to Giuliani's statement.

That's why I described Giuliani's statement as such a potentially "catchable" lie - if it is one.

GA

1. profile image0

Yes, he is lying. There is no downside for him in doing so.

Trump has nothing to do with a beef about a Guiliani quote. It is about law, credibility and journalism standards. (Too may people think newspapers and TV news are the same. They are not.)

Woodward has no history of releasing tapes to the public just to satisfy the claim of a single politician, especially over such a minor quote.

If you can find any case where he did so, I withdraw my comment. I couldn't find a single example in his entire career.

If he did release tapes, his sources would dry up overnight.

I didn't mean to imply I thought  Woodward would release any of his interview tapes promisem. Or, that he would reveal any of his interview sources. My only point was that I think Woodward does have the material needed to catch Giuliani in a lie, and may find a way to prove it.

GA

1. profile image0

I understand, thanks.

3. JAKE Earthshine profile image67
      JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

https://hubstatic.com/14202755.png

Just another false comparison: Everyone understands there is NO comparison between a stand up man like Bob Woodward who has an impeccable long standing reputation for accuracy and truth, and an incoherent babbling nut case like 'batty' Rudy Giuliani:

4. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just to spice things up, if I bet that the number of times Woodward has be factually incorrect over his entire professional career, is fewer than the number of times Giuliani has been factually incorrect in the last 12 months, would you take that bet?

Sure I would take that bet Don - on your side.

Don't mistake my OP to be more than just the question it is. I am a strong Woodward supporter, and on this particular issue, I still have faith in Woodard.

But ... even so, the issue caused me to wonder about it enough to post this topic.

Accepting that Trump supporters will obviously side with Giuliani, my thought was about the neutrals - folks that are familiar with Woodward, but not particularly knowledgeable about his work.

GA

5. Ken Burgess profile image75
      Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Woodward cashed in at the right time for the maximum political impact as well as $$$ profit.

I took ten minutes out of my life today to flip between Hannity and Maddow, nothing has changed in the past two years it seems.

Hannity is still claiming how it all proves conspiracy and collusion against Trump and the American people.  And Maddow is still claiming how it all proves Trump is a Russian puppet. 

Amazing stuff really, how they can continue to take the same 'facts' and 'events' and weave the tale of how they mean such completely opposite things.

Wonderful world we live in, in the 'Current Year', where everyone can choose which reality they want to believe in... facts are subjective

Woodrow fits right in there with all the rest, if you want to believe it, you can.  If you want to think its BS, you can.  His reputation is just as suspect as anyone else. his agendas and goals just as biased or based on cashing in for the max-profit as anyone else.

For what its worth, I find him to be less credible in his tales than Omarosa, at least she was part of the Administration and was actually in meetings with Trump... she isn't getting her 'tell all' book information 2nd or 3rd hand like Woodward is.

Our politics today, and the media which covers it, has devolved to the point where the only way I can truly describe how it appears to me, is as an insane asylum where the inmates have taken control of the facilities.

We have the ex-President coming out, claiming he is responsible for the economic turn around and then stating Benghazi was a conspiracy.

Like I said, we are truly living in a choose your reality, choose your facts, moment in history like we have never seen... I can only imagine we are on the precipice of heading into revolutionary times, because such diverse facts and realities cannot co-exist in the same country indefinitely.

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image67

https://hubstatic.com/14204325.png

Actually, Bob Woodward probably released his book when it was finished and just because he 'cashed in' doesn't mean it's not true and there is absolutely ZERO comparison between a stand up man like Woodward who has a documented history of revealing the previously undisclosed truth which includes the disgrace surrounding watergate, and an orange Bozo Clown who has a press documented history of being one of the greatest liars and crazy conspiracy peddlers in political history if not the greatest: And believe it or NOT, to our knowledge, he still has the keys to our oval office !! : UNREAL:

Who do you believe, Woodward or this?

"President Trump has made 4,229 false or misleading claims in 558 days"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac … 24e9770df9

2. profile image0
        La Veeztaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is the truth, Ken. But what else is the truth is the truth will win out in the end, revolution or not.

3. GA Anderson profile image89

You were on a roll Ken - right down to where you said you believed Omarosa has more credibility than Woodward, and, that today's reality is that we can choose our own facts to believe.

From there on I think you are off-base.

But, of course you can believe those opinions are facts. If that is your reality.

Naturally Woodward wants to cash-in on his book, but that doesn't mean his book is untruthful.

From what little I have read, Omarosa is known for being primarily self-serving. As such, few seem to question her motives, but because of that, many question her credibility. Yet, even that doesn't mean her claims are untrue, but with past credibility as the only support fir either's claims - I am going to favor Woodward.

You may choose what facts to believe, but you can't choose what facts are actually facts.

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image75
          Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

GA,

But that is the problem, isn't it GA?

How can we be certain of what the facts really are?

Bob Woodward has worked for The Washington Post since 1971.

I have an idea where his politics lie, I have an idea where Bezos' politics lie, the 1970s and Nixon were a long time ago, the changes to the world and the changes to the man can be almost incomprehensible and subject to doubt.

But don't mistake my counter position in this debate, I am not supporting Giuliani over Woodward.  I am saying that I feel no one is above the fray, no one is beyond manipulation, nor being motivated by greed or politics.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps facts are facts, maybe it is the fact that a great many people can no longer tell fact from fiction, or worse yet, there are a great many people out there reporting fiction as fact.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14204104.jpg

You'll find Bob Woodards books right next to the do-it -yourself section in the back of the clearance shelves at Walmart between  the old style light bulbs and outdated cereal .

Just got mine.

1. profile image0
      La Veeztaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Lol, Well one thing is for sure, you wont be finding Woodward shopping in Walmart anytime soon, or ever. Hard to escape that bubble he lives in.

2. JAKE Earthshine profile image67

But actually here in the REAL world, not Bozo Trump's make believe land of detachment from reality, even before its release, the publisher is trying mightily to keep up with extraordinary demand for Bob Woodward's new book "Fear" which seems to depict a frightening, exceedingly dangerous oval office of mega-dysfunction:

"1 million copies of Bob Woodward's 'Fear' printed to meet 'extraordinary demand' after topping best seller lists"

https://www.businessinsider.com/bob-woo … old-2018-9

3. IslandBites profile image90
    IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

Bob Woodward: Let The Silence Suck Out The Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVuxYZusRh0

Bob Woodward Responds To Denials From Mattis, Kelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQKxBslsO-M

Then, watch any interview with Giuliani. neutral

1. profile image0

Thank you for sharing those.  I missed that episode of Colbert.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Great links islandBites.

Particularly interesting was his description of the depth of his interview efforts.

GA

1. IslandBites profile image90
        IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)