I tried to keep a positive outlook, but this slump is getting me down.

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I've posted several new hubs lately, and I guess I'd be doing even worst if I hadn't. Still, I find myself becoming depressed looking at my numbers. Maybe it is better for my mental health if I just don't look at my traffic for a while. If I take a little vacation, maybe it will all be good when I come back.

1. poppyr profile image93
      poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Don't give up! Like the others have said, this may only be temporary and the best thing you can do is keep writing and share your current articles. Do you post your hubs to Pinterest and Flipboard? That always makes them more visible. Just concentrate on content right now and don't worry so much about your earnings. I lost a third of my earnings (comparing September and October). It does suck, but it should just motivate you to write more and more and look forward to December when we tend to get lots of earnings smile I hope you feel better soon.

1. celeste inscribed profile image90
        celeste inscribedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the motivation Poppyr. I too have seen a dramatic drop in earnings and I can't help feeling a bit down about it. I will follow your advice though. Sherry, I am also going to try to ignore my earning in November and peek at them in December. Cross fingers and toes it all gets better.

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You have 60 articles so I'm certain you could spend some time editing/improving some of them? That sometimes can be a worthwhile exercise and means you could perhaps learn some new tricks in the process? Revising/editing can get you in the mood for writing new ones.
      I have over 300, some real veterans among them, and am constantly editing them bit by bit, step by step. There are always surprises (shocks!) to the system - how could I have written THAT. YUK!
      So yes, a break can be beneficial - recharging and all that - but I'd keep things ticking over, sustain the interest.
      Christmas is coming up, with higher CPM figures and what not and with your Christmas articles it may be a good idea to read through them, update, edit, improve?
      I wish you well. Persevere.

3. weezyschannel profile image87
      weezyschannelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel bad, I'm almost in tears. Checked my numbers this morning and they have plummeted to the lowest ever since I even remember. You you can't make any Amazon sales if you don't have the views.

And I know I'm not even near a prolific writer on here, but I give it my all and I've worked hard, conscientiously and honestly to the best of my ability.

No one from HP is giving us any information and they have to know something. Whether it's a Google algo or something else, any information would just be helpful.

I've been hit like everyone else with the Google algo updates, but I've never even dropped this low, or even close. at all. I am under 70 views a day, down from 300 two weeks ago on my best article- "according to HP". Just keeps dropping.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, I just sent you an email with a few tips for your Pethelfpul hub, I hope it's not in your spam folder.

1. weezyschannel profile image87

Thank you !!

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I learned some time ago that when these things happen, the best thing to do is go back and start upgrading your hubs so that when things pick up, they'll REALLY pick up.  It's amazing to see how much you can improve on your work, and the upgrades always seem to pay off.

5. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Working online is like investing in the stock market. Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

I've seen many websites come and go over many years. Others rise, fall and rise again.

Try to think of it as business and not personal. It helps to avoid getting emotionally attached to it.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

The best thing you could do is continue writing (if that was your original plan) and follow all the best practices. You've been here for a long time too and we all know that there have been many ups and downs, things always worked out. Maven is a new variable in the equation, but I doubt they will let the niche sites die as they were (hopefully still are) some of the biggest contributors (unique visits a month) to the Maven piggy bank.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

It can seem bleak, but keep writing and applying what works. I wouldn't give up just yet. You have a positive track record, and this might be a temporary slump.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image92

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I wasn't at all thinking about giving up, just maybe hiding my head in the sand for a while.

1. weezyschannel profile image87

It's okay Sherry, I need a shoulder to cry on about it too.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

Taking a break is sometimes necessary. For most of us HP is part of our lives, not necessarily the primary focus. Keep a pen and pad handy to jot notes when inspiration strikes.
    We don't wan to lose you -- vacations are allowed.

6. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 5 years ago

On average, I lost around 20 to 25 percent traffic in October. The actual loss is possibly higher because I had some niche entries right before this.

After several days of analysis, I concluded I lost massive traffic for hubs that were weak in SEO. Weak, not bad or lacking. And so for the moment I've placed aside creating new hubs in order to focus on improvement. Whether this works, or not, remains to be seen. However, it somewhat comforted me by giving the drop a reason of sorts. The change in work nature is also, admittedly, refreshing in a way.

7. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

I personally am working on a new hub. I'm trying to get a few tomato hubs in there before next summer as this summer was fantastic. I hope by then things are sorted out. For me writing on HP was always a long-term thing and even though I get frustrated with the drops, I see the number of people who've read my work, the amount I've made over time, the thank you comments, etc. it makes it worth the effort, not worth the irritation and frustration though haha.

8. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

TT, I agree. I upgrade my articles whenever a downtime occurs.  I am surprised at what I discover and correct. Shocking!!!

9. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Do your own website for fun, consider the money as a bonus; can't make a living from it, but it does keep one engaged. Had 4-digit views last month. I just contribute to society and call it a day; we do what we can.

10. Peggy W profile image94
    Peggy Wposted 5 years ago

I wondered about the drop in views as well as income.  It is probably another algorithm snafu of sorts.  Those of us who have been around a while have seen many of them over the years. They usually self-correct after a time.  Reworking older articles seem like a good plan for the moment.

11. dredcuan profile image92
    dredcuanposted 5 years ago

I've been a member for a couple of years now, but lie low for a very long time. When I came back, all my articles were removed because all didn't pass the new HP article standards. Everyday I saw my HP score dropping - for as low as 25 - everytime I'm adding new content. It was so frustrating yet I never gave up. Luckily, within 5 to 6 months, I was able to recover just a bit and gained HP friends as well. I haven't reached my target, yet the journey gave me that courage to continue.

12. Kain 360 profile image90
    Kain 360posted 5 years ago

I feel a similar way. I've been on HubPages for years, but went off intermittently. I did some ghost writing, but not that much. I used to write on another HP account. Last year, I did quite well. It still was not as good as 2011, though. The end of that 2011 was mindblowing. That was before the niche sites. I've never been able to top 2011. It's rather disappointed in that regard.

Google & Hubpages have implemented so many changes over the past several years. I know there have been many algorithm changes etc.

Quite frankly, the articles I put the most work into do poorly, while the ones that were easier to write & took less time do better. It's ridiculously ironic. I don't fathom it.

I'm not sure what's been going on recently, as I've not been that active on the forums. I've just heard there have been changes that affect Hubpages and other websites.

I've finally decided to start writing a novel this year. That fear manifests in me: what if all my efforts are in vain? This existence is ephemeral after all.

1. ziyena profile image92
      ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think that we all sympathize with you.  I too remember those heydays of crazy traffic before the Google crackdown.   Most of my articles are niched now and I'm getting almost zero traffic save for one.  It seems to be the reality for now but I keep hanging on.  You're definitely not alone

13. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 5 years ago

I've been on hubpages for 9 years, and this is the lowest readers/earnings ever! driving me insane!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I'm in resignation mode. Whatever happens, happens.

2. poppyr profile image93
      poppyrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

A moderator mentioned in another post that they’d found the problem causing low traffic and fixed it. So things should balance out soon.

3. lobobrandon profile image88

Until you get all your hubs moved to the niche sites that's going to be the case. The HP domain doesn't rank well anymore nor will it ever with the way things are currently laid out. The niche sites are doing great, worse than a few months ago, but still better than what HP ever did ever since the Panda update. Nice seeing you here smile

14. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

My views showed a rebound in the past few days and earnings came up yesterday though whether they will stay there is impossible to say.  For those who have been away from HP for a while and come back to find their hubs unfeatured, it can be really frustrating.  Yet keep in mind it is likely just a matter of HP changes in policy and guidelines based on changing Google priorities and algorithms not your ability or skill.  It can also be overwhelming when you look into what the guidelines are now and realize just how different they've become.  It may seem like the amount of work needed to get your articles featured again isn't worth it.  But once you get the hang of the new standards and requirements so that you not only get your articles featured but moved onto niche sites, the difference in earning should be substantial and worth it.

It's nice that so many hubbers that were gone for a while are coming back to the fold.  You were missed.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

It really isn't as hard as sit seems if you develop a formula that works consistently.

Create a really interesting and searchable title on a topic that is not going to get killed by the competition.

Make sure your content supports the topic and that your subtitles tell the story for those who wish to browse rather than read.

Write at least 1000 words, making sure to put at least two photos, one or more videos and a poll or map into your article.

Limit links as much as possible, especially those that take readers away from your site.  Make sure the links are from credible sources and do not contain spam.

Make sure your capsules are short and are written in easy to understand language and also that they reflect the topic and do not veer off into non topic information.

Write a beginning, a middle and an end, and do it in correct English.

Make sure your photos are legal, have at least 1000 pixels, and relate directly to your topic.

Put your first photo after your introductory paragraph and write text on it so that you can display it on Pinterest more effectively.

If you make statements that require sources, be sure to link to them.

Use in text ads for products that will help the reader, not just products you want to sell.

I have used this formula for some time now, and it has worked well for me.  If you browse through some of my hubs, you'll see the same pattern over and over.

Every single one of my 152 RV articles are on niche sites, and all but 4 of my Dreamworker articles (about 69 in all) also have been moved to them.

If they sit too long, I go back in and update them to see if that will help, and it usually does.  If it doesn't, I delete them.

Hope this helps.  I know each person has his own techniques, I'm just giving you an example of what I do that works for me.

Good Luck.

This is what works for me too.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91
        Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks but I was providing general advice for those who have been away for a while not asking for it.  Though all of this is always good to review.

3. ziyena profile image92
        ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I always appreciate the helpful reminder.  Doesn't matter if we've heard it a hundred times before.  I'm failable and forget things as do other seasoned hubbbers.  We should always keep each other in check.  Appreciate your helpfulness and sharing the steps that have made you such a success.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

I learned these things the hard way and am really hoping that they will see me and all of us through this current crisis.  My views are now about 50% of what they have been, but I've had the most successful year ever in 2018 so am not complaining.  If Paul is correct and the error gets fixed within the next 60 days, things should go back to normal, but until they do, there definitely is cause for concern.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91

I spoke too soon - everything bottomed out again today.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

HP seems to think they know what happened, but they did say it would take a while for Google to process the fix. So, hopefully things will improve over the next couple of months.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91

Here's hoping.

15. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 5 years ago

I haven't been this low in views since about 8 years ago! sniff....better get the hat out and stand on the bridge for handouts....lol!

Not surprising though. From what I see, a majority of your articles are not on niche sites. As more and more articles are moved from the HP domain to the niche sites, your articles tend to be orphaned and don't have the authority that comes with a lot of articles on the topic. If you have the time to spend on this, moving your old top performers to niche sites is a good thing to do.

16. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I'm hesitant to say anything since it seems whenever I do it heralds a huge drop right after yikes
    Views today are up to almost where they were before the drops started and earnings are about where they were as well.  Hoping this is a trend and not just a three day occurrence.  If it is and I can build from there life will be smiles, hearts, flowers and unicorns!

17. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

Nell, to get your articles moved you probably only need to remove the Amazon capsules. It's absolutely worth doing because your traffic will increase massively once on the niche sites.
    Once they're on the niche sites then go through your hubs from most trafficked to least and add in a personal recommendation for the product you want to add and use an Amazon text link.
    Your income would probably exceed your very best ever by doing this.

18. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Thanksgiving week and yet my totally non-holiday articles are going up in traffic this Monday. Pleasantly surprised.

Mine are going up today too smile Glad to see you happy for a change haha.

Alas, still in writer burnout mode due to the reasons previously mentioned.

19. Sherry Hewins profile image92

Blue arrow blues again. It seemed like a recovery, but the past 2 days are the lowest of the year. I know the holiday is partly to blame, but darn.

Yeah, I've decided to officially stop caring until January; it's the only way to stay sane. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)