What Surprised You the Most From The Midterm Elections?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 5 years ago

There were a lot of great stories that came from the election - more women heading to Congress, the huge turnout nationwide, and even a dead man winning a state election.
    Put your Party hat aside and share what you think some of the biggest and most impactful changes you see with these results and how they will shape the country.

RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Jeff Sessions is OUT at the DOJ - the President asked him to resign today and he has done so.  That might be the story of the day

1. Readmikenow profile image94
        Readmikenowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it would be sweet if Trey Gowdy was made the next Attorney General.  He would be my choice if I were president.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. We need an extremist who puts party above the Constitution and the needs of the country.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
            Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We had that with Eric Holder.

1. profile image0

And we especially have it now with Donald Trump and his followers.

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
        MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it is the story of the day, although most of us saw it coming. I hated to see that and think he got a raw deal. He recused himself from the Muller investigation, and there is every reason for the new AG to do the same. We will see if he has the decency to do so.

Why would a new AG recuse himself from the Muller investigation? Sessions recused himself because he met with the Russian ambassador as a senator.  That was his reasoning, and it was a pretty lame reason. So, I don't see a reason for any AG to recuse themselves.

1. profile image0
            Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mike , Yesterday I read that someone working a campaign CAN'T serve ultimately as the Atty Gen. investigating ? Who knows. Either way , I'm happy he's out and now Trump obstruction at least from within his house has ended .

"someone working a campaign"

What are you talking about?

1. profile image0
                Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

On NPR they said , Because Sessions spoke as and in Trump's campaign he couldn't be part of an investigation of him either in favor or against .  That was why he recused ?

I think they're talking about this.

"The DOJ regulation Sessions cited Saturday — 28 CFR 45.2— says "no DOJ employee may participate in a criminal investigation or prosecution if he has a personal or political relationship with any person or organization substantially involved in the conduct that is the subject of the investigation or prosecution, or who would be directly affected by the outcome."

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-se … ler-2018-3

Sessions did "officially" endorse President Donald Trump in 2016.

He didn't actually recuse himself until he came under fire for meeting with  a Russian Ambassador during the 2016 election.

"Sessions came under scrutiny for failing to disclose meetings he had with Sergei Kislyak, then Russia's ambassador to the US, during the 2016 campaign. Following the revelations, Sessions recused himself from the Russia investigation."

In any case, we are all better off without him as Attorney General.

1. profile image0

I agree. We certainly don't need an Attorney General who respects the Constitution.

2. profile image0
          RTalloniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sessions did a marvelous job in so many areas but many saw his recusing himself from the investigation as cowardice. It's sad business. It would be surprising if the new installment made the same decision.

3. Readmikenow profile image94

https://hubstatic.com/14282402.jpg

If this was an elected position I would campaign for him.

I've already said it on your other forum, but I'll say it again here. I had predicted Dems taking the Senate and Repubs keeping the House. That was a surprise to me that my thoughts were backwards. I think the biggest impact of this will be in women's rights and civil rights of a racial nature and also of the LGBT community, although that may work just the opposite, too. It may hamper the POTUS' ability to put more of his cronies on the Supreme Court.

I think you still have it confused.

The ability to be able to elect judges at all levels will now be far easier for Trump and the Republicans than it was.  The House has no say in those matters, all that is required is a Senate majority.

Now that RINOs like McCain and Flake have been removed from the Senate, the Republicans have a real majority, what they had the last two years was a phony majority easily held hostage by one rogue vote.

RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There's a lot of truth in your statement Ken - add in the fact that a new AG will very doubtfully open any new investigations (unless there is real evidence, of course) on any of the Democrat issues, and that Trump appears to be nearly ready to declassify the entire FISA mess, by the time the new Congress is seated they will be in a very weak position to do much other than obstruct - so more of the same

When it comes to impeachment and investigations, it is possible it that it would have had potential to succeed last year.  The likes of McCain and Flake would have been all too happy to oblige.  Just as they torpedoed the Healthcare reform presented.

Now I believe there is a true Republican wall in the Senate, even if an Impeachment investigation reaches their doorstep.  In addition, they have wiggle room, so if they do have a weak Republican Senator or two, they can still have any Judge confirmed, any Treaty ratified, and Law (that makes it out of the House) passed.

3. Ken Burgess profile image77

How truly insane the media became in the final days.

I don't know how anyone can consider sources like CNN news, neutral, or anything more than propaganda and hysteria.

I admit, I don't watch any of it, not CNN, not FOX, not anything in between.  But I have seen the clips of what was being said by Don Lemon and that pedophile Cuomo leading up to the election... the insane have taken control of the asylum.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 5 years agoin reply to this

https://hubstatic.com/14282134.jpg

5. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 5 years agoin reply to this

What Surprised You the Most From The Midterm Elections?

Midterm elections are sometimes regarded as a referendum on the sitting president's and/or incumbent party's performance.[4][5] The party of the incumbent president tends to lose ground during midterm elections: since WWII the President's party has lost an average 26 seats in the House, and an average four seats in the Senate; moreover, in only five of those has the President's party gained seats in either house and of those only one has seen the President's party gain seats in both houses.

I was pleased to see Trump stood out once again and kept the Senate. It is satisfying me to see it is very clear many citizens have recognized president Trump is doing a good job-solving problem.

2. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 5 years ago

RJ ,  One thing I love most as a general conservative , Trump's "calling out "  of the republicans who verbally disassociated themselves from him in their campaigns and paid the ultimate price of playing the political correctness card !    Imagine how the democrats would have suffered more loss had these candidates let Trump speak for them , HOW MANY LOST , eight , ten ....more ?

All in all we did okay ....could have done better .

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The dead man was comical, even though I understand how such a thing could happen. 

That women are running is great: that so many won is tremendous as well.  It indicates, seems to me, the changing of our society in how it views women.  Now if it could only be extended to religion...

1. profile image0

Two items important to remember. Not all "religions" are the same, not all leaders in any one religion are the same. It's not about race or gender, it's what the person stands for that matters.

Correct.  Now if we just didn't virtually require our elected officials to always be Christian...

I did see that a muslim was elected though - perhaps there is hope.

1. profile image0

Who requires that they be Christian? Perhaps the better question is about what the definition of a Christian is.

They would support the women who are in our government?

How many non-Christians presidents have we had in 200+ years?  (Or at least presidents that claim Christianity.)

1. profile image0

The word claim is the big difference. The authority of the New Testament is rejected by many who claim Christianity resulting in confusion re the issue. The problem is not bigger than God. He warns of this confusion (and other ones...), but we do not have to be confused for we can seek His wisdom and have clarity. Or choose not to. This choice is certainly not unique to Americans, but is for all humans.

From Genesis to Revelation the theme of how God, not willing that any should perish, would send/sent Jesus the Christ, to be the spotless substitute is the saving faith of countless who chose to embrace His grace and mercy. The record also includes the account of how so many others chose, in the pride of life, to depend on self and reject Him, going out into a heartbreaking eternity.

Re presidents claiming Christianity, sometimes it's clear to Christians that they are just using the term for their own purposes in a moment of time (but oh! the day they step out into eternity!), sometimes it's clear they simply do not understand what they are saying (oh may they come to know Jesus!), and sometimes they are true believers somewhere in the journey of their Christian walk. But no one requires presidents to be Christians, nor can they.

Hope? I'm not that broadminded. Research what is happening in Europe. When enough are elected to their parliaments, they pass sharia law. But as long as we have a Constitution, we would have the Supreme Court to render it unconstitutional, hopefully.

One such court case exists in Greece in a dispute over an inheritance. A family wants Sharia law to override civil law and determine that a family can override a man's will in which he left everything to his wife:

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2017 … -civil-law

There is that, yes.  Including that enough wanting Sharia law could change the constitution.

But the numbers required are very, very high - not something that would ever be seen in my lifetime.

2. profile image0

That really was a thought-provoking call out.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

When will this nightmare ever end?
    When will sanity raise its head?
    But oh no, we've gone amok,
    Trying our best to get stuck ...
    Newsom won some in Bluefornia.
    A dreadful night, a dreadful mornia ...
    In paradise

Toward a quicksand mire we trudge,
    Though already deep in mud!
    The sweet Cali-life is no more,
    No sunny days on the Pacific shore ...
    Stuck at home, can't afford gas in the car
    In Bluefornia: So close, but so far ...
    From paradise.

Let the government have a ball,
    Let them fool us once and for all.
    Shoulder deep in rising taxes ...
    Who will throw a rope to save us?

1. MizBejabbers profile image89

Not the Red's deregulation, that's for sure!

4. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Yes lots of stories. I'm finding it a surprise that the Democrat leadership has overnight become blatant about their perspective that their position is them up against the American people. It's coming through in small statements couched in high sounding phrases. I heard it in media comments, N. Pelosi, and now bits of radio news reports. I wish I had started making a list but didn't at first quite recognize how it was building up.

5. profile image0

Mid Term Surprise ; Phony  Kavanaugh Obstruction  by Democrats turned  their "Blue Wave Tsunami" totally  into a purple piddle puddle!

6. profile image0

Jim Acosta thrown out of White House Press Core !
    Well , It's about darned time ..............Next !

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image68
      JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No kidding, now we know the little fragile orange snowflake in chief is not only afraid of Honduran women and children, but news reporters as well:

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)