The 2018 Hubbie Award Winners

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (101 posts)
  1. samanthacubbison profile image82
    samanthacubbisonposted 5 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14297055.jpg

I wish to extend a huge thank you to everyone who participated in the Hubbies this year. It’s because of you that we have such a flourishing community. The team at HubPages is looking forward to next year (and those that follow) to brainstorm creative and more involved activities for everyone to participate in. Stay tuned for community polls for suggestions/recommendations on our Facebook page.

We hope to promote user engagement and motivate authors even more with some exciting contests and giveaway opportunities as well. Be sure to follow our Instagram (@hubpagesnetwork) for giveaway updates.

Head on over to our blog where we’ve unveiled the winners, OR read the weekly newsletter. Sign up from your “Account Settings” page if you haven’t already. I have some pretty cool stuff to say.

Also, be sure to shoot your favorites a “congratulations” or a virtual high-five or something.

1. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well done all you guys and gals. Fully deserved. Long live the democratic process!

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations to all the winners. Well done!

3. erorantes profile image49
      erorantesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations to all the winners. I wish you all are enjoying your success.

4. gerimcclym profile image96
      gerimcclymposted 5 years agoin reply to this

These awards were spot-on. Congratulations to all of the hubbie award winners!!!  smile

2. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Awesome! It's nice to see that many who I voted for are on that list. Congrats everyone.

Small note to Bev: You at least get something out of the noobie attacks smile

DrMark: That's a well deserved Life Time Achievement award.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wanted to vote for Bev in the "Able to deflect bullets and attacks by Noobies" but I could not find that category.
      Oh well.
      Thanks. I am still a ways from hitting my next goal, which I will see as an achievement, but this was nice to see.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
        lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is your next goal a traffic/earnings goal or that 300 article mark (no pun intended).

I was over 300 at one point but I deleted a bunch of things no one was interested in. I want to get up to 500k a month and was pretty close before that October update hit. My traffic went down about 15% that month but my income was not affected, which I thought was weird.
          My traffic is down a little this month again and my income is way up. I think this is going to be the best month ever, income wise.

Cool. Yeah, I guess the higher CPMs is helping level that ship.

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I only just found out - thanks so much!

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your saintly patience not only with newbies but with tech challenged people like me can't be surpassed. I hope it all comes back to you 3x3x3!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

WOOHOO! Two years running! Thanks all!

https://media.giphy.com/media/xmQh8NQ78y8QU/giphy.gif

...and hey, since I inspired Rupert to write this one, I'm gonna claim half credit for it. big_smile

You're welcome Rupert! High five!

Congrats to all the winners! Onward and upward!

Haha, yea you should smile

4. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 5 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners! It was great to see some new names on the list as well as some familiar ones.

5. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 5 years ago

Okay Keith. Which part of the T-shirt would you like? And, heartiest congrats to Bev for your tireless work in helping newbies as well as old farts such as me.

I was saddened by your article today. I thought the fourth industrial revolution would have something to do with modernized and industrialized rutabaga production.

6. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I see that the "Hubber Mostly Likely to Be Banned" wasn't publicly announced, but that's ok.

First, I'd like to thank all the little people. I will do my best to live up to this honor. big_smile

lol

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

Wait, does that mean they will send you a t-shirt that has the Hubpages logo with a big line through it?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nah, just the usual $50,000 severance check. I'm fine with that. big_smile

They sent you a check? They just put my $50,000 into my Paypal account. I guess I am okay with that too.

Really? They've been sending me mine piece by piece over the last 9 years.

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
            Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Shoot - I just got stock options.  Maybe it will be better in the long run but I could really use the cash now smile

3. samanthacubbison profile image82
      samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Those of us with the "skewed" sense of humor are really the normal ones. smile

4. samanthacubbison profile image82

The community feedback seemed to suggest that it was just too negative. So to be respectful of everyone's wishes, we decided not to include it this year.

I thought it was funny, but I guess my sense of humor is just skewed. *shrug*

7. paradigmsearch profile image61

Meanwhile, congrats to the winners. Well deserved and on the mark.

8. samanthacubbison profile image82

This was really fun for me to orchestrate. You guys are great. I'm looking forward to next year for sure. smile

9. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 5 years ago

Congrats to all the winners!

10. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I just found out and am happy to have won it two years running.  Congrats to all the winners!  I loved seeing Bill win two categories!  Thanks to all who voted for me and thanks Sam for all the work that must have gone into orchestrating this.

11. letstalkabouteduc profile image95
    letstalkabouteducposted 5 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners! In addition to their writing prowess, they're all generous souls who share they knowledge on the forums or in their articles. I think so many of us here have been touched by Bill's encouragement and open heart. Dr. Mark and Bev show infinite patience helping new hubbers. I also want to salute Brandon for being a terrific authority for us non-tech types. I learn a lot from you so a big thanks!

Thanks smile

2. Jan Saints profile image86
      Jan Saintsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Brandon must have missed an award by a whisker!

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he must have sad

Pleased about the rutabaga hub though. It inspired me to have mashed swede with butter and pepper with our Sunday lunch last week.

Looking forward to the 10 Mil accolade smile Long way to go but I'd like to have that.

3. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree, must have been close. I voted for Brandon and was sure he'd win.

12. Rupert Taylor profile image95

Sorry about that Dr. Mark. I'm hoping the boffins of the fourth industrial revolution are working on genetically engineering rutabagas to make them palatable. That would be Nobel Prize-worthy.

That would be great. After I read your rutabaga article a few weeks ago I rushed to the feed store and bought a bag. Even my cows were not amused. It kind of makes me wonder why Monsanto is not working to increase rutabaga palatability through GMOs.
      They could get the Nobel prize runner up.

Because Monsanto doesn't exist anymore! I had no clue who they were just Googled it.

Which is why everyone should be against big Pharma.

Yup.

13. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 5 years ago

Congratulations to the Winners. You are all very deserving of the recognition.

14. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

I think the Americans have a thing happening today big_smile Have a great one!

The rest of us carry on as normal... if writers at HP could ever be 'normal'.

Today was the first snow of the year. That's something big_smile Happy Thanksgiving to the folk across the Atlantic.

EDIT: I must add it was good snow, just in the air and it all melted as soon as it landed. Not going to be so lucky the next time around. Got to prepare for the attack of the black ice.

15. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Hot Dog! Congratulations to the winners!!!

16. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

Congratulations to all the Hubbie winners. smile Great picks, fitting choices. I'd like to offer an honorable mention to Brandon for being the coolest member of our HP community. cool

cool hehe I don't know about that, thanks smile

2. Sherry H profile image91
      Sherry Hposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

Congratulations to all the Winners! I missed to vote as I was not here but if I were to choose these were (almost) exactly the people I would vote for. And truly a special mention to Brandon smile

17. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 5 years ago

Congratulations to the winners. They truly are great contributors here.

18. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

Congratulations to all the winners. It’s all well-deserved! And thank you to those who elected me as most likely to be a HubPages employee. Guess I need to get my resume in order. LOL.

After Relache and Marisa, you're the only other person I can think of who would be good for that role smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image95

Thanks Brandon. I voted for Marisa last year for that, when she was still here.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, Glen! And to all the other worthy winners as well!! smile

19. Natalie Frank profile image92

Thanks, Randy!

That's right Natalie, I forgot you won a Hubbie as well. Double congrats!  smile

I enjoyed meeting you, Glen and the other Hubbers at Whistler, but sorry to have missed the dinner at Stonesedge. I was in agony and had to go back to the hotel therefore missing meeting more HP people. Enjoyed the experience anyway though.

1. Natalie Frank profile image92

I enjoyed meeting you also Randy.  Whistler was a great time and great opportunity to meet other hubbers in person not just on line.  It really gave me more motivation to keep writing and staying involved on the forums.  I am hoping that perhaps there will be something similar this year!  I'm sorry you were in such pain and had to go back to the hotel.  I had something similar the first night with a migraine.  I went briefly but then had to go back to my room.  But the rest of the conference I absolutely loved.  Hope to see you again sometime (hopefully at another fabulous conference in a wonderful location!)

And thanks to the HP staff for sponsoring the conference and giving us a chance to meet.  I can't wait to see what "other opportunities" the HP folks have planned for this year.  Take care.

I enjoyed the experience as well, Natalie! Perhaps there will be another conference in the future. smile

20. samanthacubbison profile image82

REMINDER: If you've won any category, please don't forget to reply to the email! (Let me know if something went wonky.) Thanks!

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Samantha, I replied several days ago but have not gotten aa answer to my inquiry about the possibility of getting a t-shirt in 2XL size. I'm a tall fella (6 foot 7) so a standard XL shirt doesnt quite provide the necescary "coverage."

21. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 5 years ago

Congrats Everybody!

22. Natalie Frank profile image92

Thanks Nell!

23. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 5 years ago

Congrats to all of the winners!!

24. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

My prize package arrived in today's mail. Thanks y'all. I shall rock my HP tee proudly.

25. Natalie Frank profile image92

I got my prize package as well.  The water bottle is great and I will wear my "ringer" with pride!  Thanks for such great gifts!

26. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

I just received my ringer T-shirt and water bottle today too. That bottle is bigger than the Maven one I got in April. Great for hot and cold drinks. Thanks, HubPages, and to all who voted for me.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did the Maven visit entail any kind of surgical procedure? All those who went seem curiously quiet these days.

Not sure who you're referring to - I think we're all still around. And at least as far as I'm concerned I still have my tongue and all my fingers smile  Or did you just mean went quiet about Maven?

2. Glenn Stok profile image95

I don’t know what you mean. I see all of us being very active in the forums and/or continuously publishing new articles.

Sorry Glenn, that was meant for Solaras. Can't help noticing a change in the forums since the takeover.

How so?

It might have something to do with corporate brain worms, lol.

I never thought I would say it, but I miss Making a Mark and Writeangled. Their savage criticism of everything HP set out a big space in which people could say whatever they thought was true or just plain boredom reducing.

I mean, if they could be tolerated (and they were) people could certainly speak their minds.

Also, I sense that Samantha just wants everyone to be nice. I reckon Christy had reached the sad conclusion long ago that people are pretty mad and there was nothing could be done about it.

What are you mad about? I see a lot of people speaking their mind about the horrible recommended stuff. I ranted about the bad QnA feature and the possible ranking drops due to it and quite a few others complained about this feature too.

Right now I personally have no other complaints (not no more), you?

I am guessing that you are using the word "mad" in the American sense of "angry".  Rather than the meaning I intended of howling at the moon, unreliable witness, menace to decent folk, sadly crushed by an unrelenting and inimical reality that is not designed to support human sensitivities.That kind of reading...
                  lol.

But putting the cultural nuances aside, let us consider the evidence.

The Maven executive retreat was a remote location in the Canadian outback. The geographical features included millions of acres of gloomy, impenetrable conifer forests. With lakes that could gulp down whole cities of evidence...

Randy comes back transformed. Is there a more reasonable soul in the entire forum? Solaras is almost silent. Glenn is absent from controversial topics. I must admit that Natalie is a state unto herself but she is a rarity...

What is a person to think?

1. Glenn Stok profile image95

That all depends on what your definition is of a “more reasonable soul.”

You’re very observant Will, but speaking only for myself, Maven hasn’t changed me.

lol Gotcha.

3. DrMark1961 profile image95

You do realize this makes you sound like one of those conspiracy theorists? Is the alternative account going to be filled with articles like ""How to make a tinfoil hat to protect against alien microwaves"?

27. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

My package arrived this morning and the t-shirt and water bottle are lovely smile A pre-Christmas gift for me. Thank you.

1. samanthacubbison profile image82

Yay! Glad you received them so quickly. smile

28. paradigmsearch profile image61

Commas; who uses commas; I never use commas; commas are for sissies.

Is that a Norman Mailer qoute from his book "Tough Guys Dont Dance or Use Commas"?

I do post lots of quotes here. But this one though is a paradigmsearch original. And I start sentences with "but" and "and".

I think that calls for one of your great memes. A PDS original.

Thanks. If a really good one comes to mind...

29. Rupert Taylor profile image95

My prizes made it across the border; the dog sled team delivered the package to my front door. Many thanks to voters and Hub team. I bet the Pulitzer Prize winners don't get a T-shirt.

I doubt they do.

2. samanthacubbison profile image82

Woo! That's great that they made it safe and sound.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)