What makes an authority? An authority is a person who can do it?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

How many of us are authorities on the articles we write? What makes an authority? College degree? Experience? A writer writes an article. Does that make him or her an authority on writing? A person shoots a photo. Does that make him or an authority on photography?

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Are the disclaimers only going on certain sites?  I ask because I write how-to gardening hubs and there are no "authority" disclaimers on my hubs.  Is it because Dengarden doesn't require disclaimers or because I am an "authority" as a Master Gardener and gardening instructor?

Kenna McHughposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't see any disclaimer on my Dengarden articles and I am not a master gardener, but I have experience in the field working with a master.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Someone who is an authority has objective recognition for their expertise.  e.g. a degree, award, peer-reviewed publication, license, professional standing with satisfied clients.

A person can be an expert without this proof, but having it makes them an authority.  It is usually the 3rd of 4th definition of the word: "with proof, grounds or warrant"

What do you mean about "peer-reviewed publication"? I don't see that as recognition of authority because "You scratch my back. I'll scratch your back." There are many professions like that - particularly in the medical and secondary educational fields. A license doesn't suffice because anyone can get a license. Just look at all the mediocre drivers on the road.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, as a peer-reviewer if anyone asked me to do that I would report it to the editor in chief who would contact their institution and they would end up in from of an ethical review board.  And I only cite work that contributed to my publication,  Of course nepotism never helped in my career so I don't owe jack to anyone, and they probably wouldn't ask.

But whether you support that system or not it is the system for building research authority which is good enough to affect tenure and million-dollar grants.  Whether Hubpages uses it is a matter of speculation.

And by license I mean a state license to practice in a self-regulating profession with a competency standard and ethical complaints board.    e.g. a licensed psychologist.  That said you would want a person posted a hub about driving to have a license, and a person posting about forklift driving to have a forklift license.  It's a matter of what they are claiming expertise about and how that can be documented.

Imperfect as they are, these are the systems we have to prove expertise.

Thank you for clarification. I agree. The official means to establish authority is imperfect. What yardstick can we use to judge an authority? What about being able to do it? Proven success stories or products?

2. greenmind profile image93
          greenmindposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Psycheskinner, thanks so much for your clear and concise explanation. Understanding and valuing the concept of peer-reviewed research is critical at a time when it seems we're knee-deep in flat-earth conspiracy nonsense and "alternative" facts.

Greenmind, How do you know they are nonsense? How can anyone tell the truth?

3. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That just about nails it.

As an aside, do you have a name that is not psche something? I find neologisms very hard to spell.

3. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

The notion that anyone can do anything is rather wonderful but full of pitfalls.

It seems especially strong in the US and UK. I put it down to translating the bible into English.

Then there is all that democracy stuff.

Yes. The pitfalls are obvious. The translation of the bible is a good example. The democracy situations as well. What about someone who can do and get results that are worth it?

4. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 5 years ago

The words "authority" carries many connotations. I considered my father as the authority figure in my life while growing up, for example. Anyone writing from life experience is, in a sense, an authority of that experience because it is first-hand and the writer, ideally, is sincere and at least somewhat skilled in expressing that experience in words.

I don't consider myself an "authority" on any subject, but I write to share my experiences and what I have learned through reading or video viewing. Any perspective has an element of truth. It's then up to the reader to decide whether a particular view fits in with his or her accepted reality.

On HubPages with its sister sites, all I can say is try. Write. If the team decides it's not worth featuring, they will certainly let you know.

Wishing everyone writing success in 2019!

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Marie, I am sure your dad is a special person. I like this because as a writer you need to do your research and write the best you can in a truthful way. 

I see authority as someone who has statistics that prove their worthwhile. Anyone can put up a shingle but how are their clients/patients doing.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

A lot depends on context.  To me an authority is someone who knows a great deal about something, whether his knowledge comes from training or experience doesn't really matter.  If someone has the combination of both things, even better.

2. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If they are getting wet it is a bad sign.

3. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've studied Astrology for over 40 yrs., and have a thriving home business. I have repeat clients from all over the world. People in my field have written reviews about me, but it's true I know them. I've had to take numerous classes and workshops, spend thousands of dollars on books, and keep up to date on my subject. I consider myself an authority. So does the Metaphysical Center of NJ. But I still have someone from HP adding disclaimers to many of my articles, when I know they don't know anything about my subject (it's one of them, I read tarot and study metaphysics in general). A lot of it comes from life experience too, although I am clairsentient as well. It's a thought provoking question though.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Jean, you know your business that is for sure. 40 years!!! The "disclaimer" at the bottom is to protect HP. The aesthetic quality of the notice needs some work, though.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think disclaimers are going to be on the kinds of topics where someone could hurt themselves and sue--possible but difficult with gardening.  More likely with medicine and amateur electric appliance repair.

Plants are expensive and hard earn through care. To some, losing a plant is heartfelt. I don't know about "amateur" electric appliance repair. I think HP has some legit electric appliance repair Hubbers, who are pros.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)